point of wifi!?

The Paper Mario Bricking scenario was a series of unfortunate events.

Paper Mario was released in US before EU. Some hardcore players ordered a copy of the game from the US and played it on their PAL Wii. A few of these players had never connected the Wii to the internet. The modchip prevented the region checking and allowed the disc to boot. On bootup the disc determined that the firmware version was old and asked to update it. This keeps the Wii from booting.

In other words, Wii's with an internet connection and a mod chip can play Paper Mario with no problem.
Wii's with no internet connection and no updates can be damaged if you allow Paper Mario to apply the on disc update.

If you look at the current stock of popular mod chips there has been NO effort on nintendos side to block them. Chips designed for the original version of the Wii still work with the latest (with updates or wired installs)

Ok. I accept that this is currently the case. However, is it your opinion that the firmware can or cannot be updated in such a way that will exclude the current functionality of 1st and 2nd generation modchips?

captainff said:
Ok. I accept that this is currently the case. However, is it your opinion that the firmware can or cannot be updated in such a way that will exclude the current functionality of 1st and 2nd generation modchips?

I believe it would be possible to block the use of some of the current chips, but most likely through the games. The people working on the chips now can leverage a lot of experience in the PS2 Xbox scene. The "stealth" ability of the current chips is really quite surprising. Look at the update method for the Wiikey and you'll understand how freaking crazy they are (Im amazed it works in the first place honestly). Other than a few incidents of shitty support the first round of Wii Modchips are really good! Remember when the PS2 mods first came out and you had to solder like 16 wires!?

You make me want to research more into the WiiD chip and see how stealth it really is.

Last edited:
Back