Project M Discussion Thread

Whoops.

What's you guys' opinions on the thing that's going on now, where they bring up inherent flaws in PM?

1. By porting Fox and Falco, you're forced to have everyone upgraded.
2. By creating everything as goal-oriented as it is, creativity is suppressed.
3. Because the entire cast needs to be diverse, you get niche characters with gimmicks that might or might not be healthy for the game.

What's you guys' opinions on the thing that's going on now, where they bring up inherent flaws in PM?

1. By porting Fox and Falco, you're forced to have everyone upgraded.
Actually I think some of 5 vanilla Melee characters could use and upgrade. Such as Sheik's Chain being able to grab the ledge and a general Marth Upgrade.

The other characters being upgraded is a boon. It makes it fresh, new, and exciting.

2. By creating everything as goal-oriented as it is, creativity is suppressed.
What do you mean by this?
Project M is really creative with movesets from Zelda to Ivysaur.

3. Because the entire cast needs to be diverse, you get niche characters with gimmicks that might or might not be healthy for the game.
Well, Project M is still in demo form. So they are still balancing it out and making tweaks.
And because it's being used in tournaments, the PMBR has a lot of information on how their changes are being used competitively.

So I was going through the site's News Archive and I found a bit of a pattern.

Big updates usually appear in a timespan of at least 4 months, with the longest pause being 4 months and 3 days. (Blog Post #8 and Toon Link's Reveal)
Unless they are streaming new information day-to-day, we can expect to wait several weeks or months before the next new update on the official site.
However, our latest updates have been going for about one month at a time, and if that's the case, the next demo will release by October 18, 2013.

You see, the updates (starting from June 26th's update about the new website) went in this order, with the bolded dates emphasized.

6/26 -> 7/15 (About 3 weeks)
7/15 -> 7/16 (1 day)
7/16 -> 7/17 (1 day)
7/17 -> 8/19 (About 1 month)
8/19 -> 9/17 (About 1 month)
9/17 -> 9/18 (1 day)

Since our last update is more than a week old, it's not going to be day-to-day and it'll very likely not be until 3 weeks/a month or several months.

tl;dr:
I am expecting Roy and/or Turbo Mode to be released either by the end of October or the end of the beginning of 2014. If not another update.

But then again, I am still hoping I did all of this for nothing and the next version releases tomorrow. It would be a joy, wouldn't it?

HOLY **** IT'S A NEW UPDATE

Goddammit, PMBR is trying to troll me.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the creativity thing, there was a good point on the forums in a topic called "Forced design"

In most fighting games, including Melee, characters had tools and their uses were thought up by the players- To get a certain task done, you had to pick the correct tool.

In Project M, characters are given tools with goals in mind- Basically when you have a task in mind that needs to be done, you already know by default which tool that's going to be. This is amplified by continuous updates that boost various qualities on moves to put them more towards what they were "meant" for.

Basically every character has at least one tool for every job, because of forced design.

For the creativity thing, there was a good point on the forums in a topic called "Forced design"

In most fighting games, including Melee, characters had tools and their uses were thought up by the players- To get a certain task done, you had to pick the correct tool.

In Project M, characters are given tools with goals in mind- Basically when you have a task in mind that needs to be done, you already know by default which tool that's going to be. This is amplified by continuous updates that boost various qualities on moves to put them more towards what they were "meant" for.

Basically every character has at least one tool for every job, because of forced design.
That is very interesting an somewhat true.

Some of those tools however are necessary to strengthen some of their flaws and makes them playable.
I would rather have a playable uncreative character then a character that will never be touched.

PMBR said:
First and foremost as a game mod, we are still under certain legal obligations and restrictions. To stay in Nintendo's good graces and to avoid attracting Cease & Desist letters from 3rd party companies, we are limiting our choice of new characters... we do not have any plans to try to "back port" any new Smash 4 characters to Project M.

Called it.

Called it.
Glad to hear it

Does this mean Mewtwo's chances are low because he is currently in the spotlight?

I still want to see a updated Sheik and Marth, don't really care about the other S Tiers+Marth (unaltered melee top teirs).
If they do want to fill up more spaces that's the way to go. That and Pichu.

Last edited:
o karp

That didn't come to mind. If Mewtwo returns for Smash 4, it's a possibility he might not get into P:M... this makes me sadfaec. I s'pose it wouldn't be the final nail in the coffin, but it's very possible Ninty might not take kindly to Mewtwo gettin' a new roster slot in two Smash games. =/

pichu still has a chance to be the next returning melee character hehehehehe

What do you mean?
that's 7 additional characters (so not the 5 characters that are from Brawl and not in PM)

With Mewtwo not seeing the light of day, the next logical choice would be Pichu.

I'm aware.

PMBR said:
... characters are chosen based on how popular they are as well as the unique gameplay and personality elements they can bring to the roster.

Where's Pichu's everything? Non-existent.

Midget Pichu who waddles
That is unique enough and brings something to the roster

Back