PS3, Xbox 360, Wii can’t hold a match to old-school game systems

"Back in my day, we would sometimes have to blow 10 times into the bottom of a NES cartridge to get it to work. None of this new fangled compact disc-ery the kids are using now a days."

Of course those games were harder back in the day, you were FIVE when you played them, dumbass!

The games I find challenging are friken Atari 2600, not because the games are difficult or anything but because the controllers are so bad they don't do what you do half the time. :lol: :lol:

There are some oldschool games that are hard they just are not long. And you have to consider that we grew up on them, you've already played and beat the game many times your gonna zip through it again. Although you could probably polish off most "new" un-played Atari/NES/SEGA games within a couple hours, they also didnt have the tech level to fit anymore into the games, so its alright for the time. Still go hand an oldschool system over to a kid today, they will strugle with them just because they are so use to the 3D environments now. Oldschool had their time and place, with some ground breaking games that birthed the genres we know today, always fun to go back to just not the same challenge we are accustomed to.

If anything oldschool games can be more fun because they were the first to come up with the ideas. We haven't had fresh concepts in gaming beyond a new story and prettier picture over the past 10 years. No new genre's no new style of gameplay just different weapons,worlds,characters,storys doing the same thing over and over again.
The nice graphics and new control interface help keep us intrested in gaming, but there is nothing ground breaking yet this generation.
Although with things like Xbox arcade and Wii-ware open to independant developers, we might get lucky yet with some fresh ideas. We will see if this is simply an update generation when its over, I still have hope for it.

T3kNi9e said:
Lol, gotta love idiots who have no defense in what they saying so they just talk random ****. You are not even making points to anything. It got to the point where your stuck "Damn, how can I counter... ****, Ive got nothing, time to talk random ****"

First of all, YES Call of Duty 4 is waaay more exciting than Contra ever was and im not talking about online im talking about the campaign. Btw, my older brother who is locked up never gets to play games and hardly did anyway. I send him Contra for the DS and he beat it fast, so I doubt it's very hard, even now. And yes, i did play Contra back in the day, I beat it also...

2nd, Im actually good at Call of Duty 4 so that was pretty pointless... Most of the time im #1 in the game so yeah... I rare get owned lol... Maybe if you would have said Halo 3, then yea I get owned on that cuz I suck at it. But Call of Duty 4? Nope, im good at it and my Kill ratio keeps going up every day I play it...

and your whole last paragraph was just complete and utter random rant. You have no idea wtf your talking about. Me having alot of posts is about the only thing you got right. I don't know where the "Im ranked 1st" came from, because who the hell said anything about that? I said you must suck at the old games if you think they are harder lol...

Oh and btw, it's not really hard to get these many posts when alot of most posts are either antagonizing or helping people. Which I guess no one minds because I get repped for it lol. I go to college and I work, so yea I have a life... Besides, whoever said get a life? I said get REAL lol.

YES, you are getting pissed off because you are ranting more and more about **** that has nothing to do with what im saying.

P.S. The only classic games I like are games I used to play when I was little, any other game like Metroid Prime (I tried this game like 3 weeks ago) is boring to me. Classic games are fun because of nostalgia, only difference is I acknowledge that fact.

ok u wanna play a hard old school game? play ghosts and goblins.

and the thing about u beating contra? doesnt matter because word of mouth is no good over the internet. anyone can make up stuff like "my bro beat contra easily, i beat old contra easily, i am good at cod4" unless there is some proof, everything is null over the internet.

Many old-school games are harder.

INMHO, the only newer game that ranks with the classics is Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. It's a perfect 10. It takes skill. Just like Ninja Gaiden 1-3 on NES.

FPS are easy. I could beat 100% of the games I purchased for Playstation, PS2, Xbox and 360.

I could never say about my games collections for NES, SNES, or Genesis.

And yea, if you beat Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES then you are really good. I beat the game the first time through, which is not truly beating it. After you "kill" the final boss, you get sent to the beginning of the game with a magic-ring. Then you have to make it through the entire game without getting hit/killed cause you will lose the weapon needed to fight the true boss. Probably the hardest game ever made. It's a true hardcore classic!

Last edited:
Frog said:
Many old-school games are harder.

INMHO, the only newer game that ranks with the classics is Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. It's a perfect 10. It takes skill. Just like Ninja Gaiden 1-3 on NES.

FPS are easy. I could beat 100% of the games I purchased for Playstation, PS2, Xbox and 360.

I could never say about my games collections for NES, SNES, or Genesis.

And yea, if you beat Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES then you are really good. I beat the game the first time through, which is not truly beating it. After you "kill" the final boss, you get sent to the beginning of the game with a magic-ring. Then you have to make it through the entire game without getting hit/killed cause you will lose the weapon needed to fight the true boss. Probably the hardest game ever made. It's a true hardcore classic!

yeah, legend has it that the greatest cause of snes controller breakdown was
due to ghosts and goblins. the controller sales that year also increased.

If word of mouth is null then just about everything everyone says is worthless, including most **** you say. It's easy to use that as a defense, it shows you have nothing to say.

Simply put, the old games do not have better or more gameplay than they do now. The only thing that made older games hard was the fact that alot of games had no kind of save system. You would have to play through levels without dying or you had to start over. If the games saved after each level then the games would be a breeze and you could finish it in one sitting.

You take a kid who is new to games and give him something new, then something old and they like the new stuff. I did this with my cousins on vacation who do not own any games. I had a gamecube at the time and all they wanted to play was Mario Kart DD instead of super mario on the SNES.

T3kNi9e said:
If word of mouth is null then just about everything everyone says is worthless, including most **** you say. It's easy to use that as a defense, it shows you have nothing to say.

Simply put, the old games do not have better or more gameplay than they do now. The only thing that made older games hard was the fact that alot of games had no kind of save system. You would have to play through levels without dying or you had to start over. If the games saved after each level then the games would be a breeze and you could finish it in one sitting.

You take a kid who is new to games and give him something new, then something old and they like the new stuff. I did this with my cousins on vacation who do not own any games. I had a gamecube at the time and all they wanted to play was Mario Kart DD instead of super mario on the SNES.

i said that ghost and goblins was a hard game. the proof is out there if u search on google. many respected gamesites and people will say that. how ever saying that u are good at cod4 is just a statement of no value.

Why because to you it can't be proven? It can be proven, just not to someone who owns a Wii only. Anyone in my friends list on 360 can see my Kill/Death ratio. Also anyone who has played with me can tell you im not a noob at CoD4. Which yes... there are people in these forums I have played with at CoD4. Even after not having my 360 for 3 weeks I come back and my ratio is still going up.

But wtf does me being good or bad at CoD4 have to do with this thread. Some idiot brings it up because he has nothing else to say and now you're saying something about it. Don't blame me for saying it, blame the guy for even saying something about it.

T3kNi9e said:
Why because to you it can't be proven? It can be proven, just not to someone who owns a Wii only. Anyone in my friends list on 360 can see my Kill/Death ratio. Also anyone who has played with me can tell you im not a noob at CoD4. Which yes... there are people in these forums I have played with at CoD4. Even after not having my 360 for 3 weeks I come back and my ratio is still going up.

But wtf does me being good or bad at CoD4 have to do with this thread. Some idiot brings it up because he has nothing else to say and now you're saying something about it. Don't blame me for saying it, blame the guy for even saying something about it.

The only idiot here is you man. And you are arguing with your self at this point. I was stating what I though if you want to debate then choose your subject other than trying to talk junk online ok?

Your point- old school games are boring and you tried to hide that behind beating a few games as proof.
My point- try these games they are hard if you want to see my points in action. Excitement equals challenge and game play.

My second point after reading your post is that your very dismissive and a lost cause. I don't have a problem with you not liking old school you seem to be the guy with problems as you can take some one else opinion.

I don't feel the need to make you believe old school is better I just stated I though differently and most FPS are getting stale to me. You don't have to be so defensive if you don't want to try those games then don't.

O yeah another point I love guys like you in online games. You should really play COD4 on the PC thats where I am.

O yeah another point COD4 is fun but out of how many new games coming out? Games like it depend on the online community also but once that is gone you have to ask your self is the game still fun? I can play thur super ghouls and ghost and still have fun or any 2d shooter.

Oyeah another point that first post was a rant.

You do like to argue over stupid **** I'll remember that next time OK. It's a forum people post stuff. You don't have to read it. If you actually want to talk about some thing then we can I was just pasting time earlier.

vashivihan said:
i said that ghost and goblins was a hard game. the proof is out there if u search on google. many respected gamesites and people will say that. how ever saying that u are good at cod4 is just a statement of no value.

Forget it man he obviously pissed about some thing else. It's like talking to a bot in quake 3...LOL pointless.

Nice post though VASH. The newbs really hate 2d huh? If not it sure does seem that way.

Also if he wants proof the PS2 still out sales the xbox 360 because people are still buying used and old games. Now the old xbox is a completely different story.

WiitnessID said:
Forget it man he obviously pissed about some thing else. It's like talking to a bot in quake 3...LOL pointless.

Nice post though VASH. The newbs really hate 2d huh? If not it sure does seem that way.

Also if he wants proof the PS2 still out sales the xbox 360 because people are still buying used and old games. Now the old xbox is a completely different story.

true, 3d gives us rerrific effects, sounds and depth but it can never match the classics. remember how hard it was to beat contra without the konami code?

vashivihan said:
true, 3d gives us rerrific effects, sounds and depth but it can never match the classics. remember how hard it was to beat contra without the konami code?

Yeah thats what made it so much fun because it can be done! There so much new comers don't even realize about gaming because of what they started out with. Hey but I don't blame them for it... it's their lost... also too things come back around in cycles.

WiitnessID said:
The only idiot here is you man. And you are arguing with your self at this point. I was stating what I though if you want to debate then choose your subject other than trying to talk junk online ok?

Your point- old school games are boring and you tried to hide that behind beating a few games as proof.
My point- try these games they are hard if you want to see my points in action. Excitement equals challenge and game play.

My second point after reading your post is that your very dismissive and a lost cause. I don't have a problem with you not liking old school you seem to be the guy with problems as you can take some one else opinion.

I don't feel the need to make you believe old school is better I just stated I though differently and most FPS are getting stale to me. You don't have to be so defensive if you don't want to try those games then don't.

O yeah another point I love guys like you in online games. You should really play COD4 on the PC thats where I am.

O yeah another point COD4 is fun but out of how many new games coming out? Games like it depend on the online community also but once that is gone you have to ask your self is the game still fun? I can play thur super ghouls and ghost and still have fun or any 2d shooter.

Oyeah another point that first post was a rant.

You do like to argue over stupid **** I'll remember that next time OK. It's a forum people post stuff. You don't have to read it. If you actually want to talk about some thing then we can I was just pasting time earlier.

You might want to quote me on things because you're taking **** out your ass. You claim im arguing with myself but you are the one getting off topic bringing up random ****. I said old games are easier and then you start ranting about how I suck at CoD4 and you never even played with me.

I never said old school games were boring, I like the old games I used to play back in the days. I still like games I never played. Even Metroid prime which I said sucks, didn't actually suck, it just sucks compared to what I can play these days. Metroid Prime was fun, but I wouldn't buy it, not even off VC. The only thing I would buy on VC are the old games I used to play. Except for Kid Icarus, that **** is boring.

You say FPS are getting stale? Fine, I agree with you, everyone is trying to make FPS games and their are waay to much. Which is why I only buy certain select shooters. But that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I said games now days have much more gameplay than they did before. It's waaay more diverse and in depth and tried to say all you do is "jump, look, move forward and shoot" which is far from the truth and you know it. Also, why even use FPS as an example? I would much rather use Portal or Mass Effect as an example...

Again your going off topic talking about how I should play PC online like you. Wtf does that have to do with the topic? and FYI, I used to play PC games ALOT, infact this is the first generation of game besides the SNES that I really play the console alot. I barely played Gamecube/PS2/N64 (BARELY). I used to play Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, etc. etc. But I got tired of having to keep upgrading my computer.

See you are being pretty steriotypical. What makes you think online is all there is now? The only online game I play is CoD4, I had alot of my fun offline playing Oblivion, Mass Effect, the Orange, FABLE, Zelda, SMG, RE4 hell I even clocked many hours into offline Madden 08. YES, they are STILL FUN, hell I can't fukin tell you how much fun I have playing Fable and Fable is short as hell.

To tell you the truth, I like to argue, period. Doesn't matter what it is, but if you're gonna sit here and claim im the one talking random ****, then see yourself because your the one who keeps going on off topic bring up new stuff. Im making my posts as I read yours, each paragraphic is a direct reply to what your paragraphs say.

T3kNi9e said:
You might want to quote me on things because you're taking **** out your ass. You claim im arguing with myself but you are the one getting off topic bringing up random ****. I said old games are easier and then you start ranting about how I suck at CoD4 and you never even played with me.

I never said old school games were boring, I like the old games I used to play back in the days. I still like games I never played. Even Metroid prime which I said sucks, didn't actually suck, it just sucks compared to what I can play these days. Metroid Prime was fun, but I wouldn't buy it, not even off VC. The only thing I would buy on VC are the old games I used to play. Except for Kid Icarus, that **** is boring.

You say FPS are getting stale? Fine, I agree with you, everyone is trying to make FPS games and their are waay to much. Which is why I only buy certain select shooters. But that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I said games now days have much more gameplay than they did before. It's waaay more diverse and in depth and tried to say all you do is "jump, look, move forward and shoot" which is far from the truth and you know it. Also, why even use FPS as an example? I would much rather use Portal or Mass Effect as an example...

Again your going off topic talking about how I should play PC online like you. Wtf does that have to do with the topic? and FYI, I used to play PC games ALOT, infact this is the first generation of game besides the SNES that I really play the console alot. I barely played Gamecube/PS2/N64 (BARELY). I used to play Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, etc. etc. But I got tired of having to keep upgrading my computer.

See you are being pretty steriotypical. What makes you think online is all there is now? The only online game I play is CoD4, I had alot of my fun offline playing Oblivion, Mass Effect, the Orange, FABLE, Zelda, SMG, RE4 hell I even clocked many hours into offline Madden 08. YES, they are STILL FUN, hell I can't fukin tell you how much fun I have playing Fable and Fable is short as hell.

To tell you the truth, I like to argue, period. Doesn't matter what it is, but if you're gonna sit here and claim im the one talking random ****, then see yourself because your the one who keeps going on off topic bring up new stuff. Im making my posts as I read yours, each paragraphic is a direct reply to what your paragraphs say.

metroid prime is not on vc. u must mean metroid and super metroid. and kid icarus=hard. u had to be very precise to master the platforming .

Back