Question about ethernet cord type

gbesta said:
To run between two NIC's you will need a crossover cable, otherwise the NIC's will show as not connected.
That's the thing though. The connection isn't between to NICs.
From what I understand it looks something like this:

Wii-----[NIC1]=PC=[NIC2]------Modem

The PC should be handling the transfer of data between the two NICs as there is no physical connection. Because of this there should be no need for a crossover cable. If it doesn't work with CAT cables then there's likely to be another problem. Anyways though, still better to get a router.

adrelith said:
That's the thing though. The connection isn't between to NICs.
From what I understand it looks something like this:

Wii-----[NIC1]=PC=[NIC2]------Modem

The PC should be handling the transfer of data between the two NICs as there is no physical connection. Because of this there should be no need for a crossover cable. If it doesn't work with CAT cables then there's likely to be another problem. Anyways though, still better to get a router.

Surely the USB to Ethernet adapter attached to the wii is a network interface. I was assuming he would need a crossover cable to connect the NIC in his PC to the USB ethernet adapter, unless as previously pointed out the PC NIC has UCR.

My assumptions are based on the no connectivity shown on his PC OS. I agree completely on the getting a router as the easiest option.

gbesta said:
Surely the USB to Ethernet adapter attached to the wii is a network interface. I was assuming he would need a crossover cable to connect the NIC in his PC to the USB ethernet adapter, unless as previously pointed out the PC NIC has UCR.

My assumptions are based on the no connectivity shown on his PC OS. I agree completely on the getting a router as the easiest option.

You're completely right :p I didn't think of it like that. But still, get a router :p

Back