Questions on mod chip for wii

Maybe I can help? I am in the UK and fitted a wiikey to my Wii.

l3lackdeath said:
Well, today morning my brother told me that his friend is willing to mod my wii for $80 and I'm not really sure, but i have a few questions for the people who have a modded wii.

1) Will the wii updates do anything so the mod chip wont work anymore?
As far as I can tell, NO, most mod chips are virtually transparent to the Wii, and some even have stealth options to hide them
2) Once the mod chip is installed, will you be able to update your wii and be able to go on the wii shop channel and download the VC Games (legally with a wii points card)
I can still do all of this even with my chip fitted
3) If i rents a game from blockbuster or any other store, do i just have to burn the game onto a DVD disc and be able to play it?
What you are proposing is illegal, although the basic concept is that you need a specific model of LG DVD ROM drive to "rip" the game, but this can take UP TO 2 DAYS, once ripped you'd then burn to a DVD
4) If not, what certain things do you have to do
See question 3
5) If i downloads a game, what does i have to do once its finished download, do i just burn it onto the DVD disc or do i have to do certain things
Again, not technically legal unless you own the original copy of the game yourself and want to use this for backup purposes. I personally use backups of all my games to keep my originals in mint condition. Basically you'd download the .iso file of the game, mount the iso using something like Daemon Tools, burn it to DVD and off you go.

Finally, the most useful feature of the wiikey is that you can play NTSC games so you can order online and play games from the US etc before they're released in the UK.

if you are going to buy wii in hongkong and philippines, almost all wii here are already modded.

spongmonkey answered everything correctly

1) Unless you have a stealth mod chip (wiikey) then no
2) Yeah
3) No
4) insert game, play it >_>
5) Yeah, i think so.

nintendo can not brick your wii unless you have it hooked to wifi. it's illegal to use someone elses internet via wifi and it's illegal for nintendo to snoop around in your property (your wii) so unless you do wiiconnect24. you will have no trouble.

dreamcastninja said:
nintendo can not brick your wii unless you have it hooked to wifi. it's illegal to use someone elses internet via wifi and it's illegal for nintendo to snoop around in your property (your wii) so unless you do wiiconnect24. you will have no trouble.

nintendo would not brick your wii...thats just stupid

if they could, they would. if you are pirating games. you generate zero sales dollars. if your wii is bricked, you might go buy a new one.

xbox did it to people. i've seen it happen. mod chip + xbox live = fux0red.

Playing imported games is fine.

If you're chipping to rip off game developers you can get lost, buy their game and show them some respect. I can't stand thieves, you wouldn't go into a store and steal a game, which is what you're technically doing downloading full games or ripping them from rentals; thing with this kind of theft is that it's easy and lends to human nature of a free ticket. If you're going to be a theif, get some balls and steal from a store :lol:

I hate when people say that mod chipping hurts nintendo. It doesn't! The company makes money off of our backs all the time, copying a few games isn't gonna kill them. How many people on here download music? It's the same bloody thing!

Besides the illegal stuff, modding lets you do some very useful things like make backups for those of us that have kids who always seem to break things and play games from another region. (BTW, regional encoding is the biggest bullshet ever invented, Nintendo deserves to have their consoles modded by including it)

swoop_ds said:
I hate when people say that mod chipping hurts nintendo. It doesn't!

Yes it does.

1: Someone buys a game (Nintendo happy because money goes to them)
2: That same person makes a copy of the game and puts it on the internet
3: People with mod chips use that copy instead of playing money (nintendo not happy since sales figures are low and no money to them)

Last edited:
swoop_ds said:
I hate when people say that mod chipping hurts nintendo. It doesn't!
It hurts Nintendo when you decide to download a game which you don't own and play it for free.

swoop_ds said:
The company makes money off of our backs all the time, copying a few games isn't gonna kill them.
Of course they make money from us, that's the point in a company and any business, I don't ever remember Nintendo ripping me off, or stealing from me, their products have been worth my money. Stealing from them isn't going to kill them, but that doesn't make it right.

swoop_ds said:
How many people on here download music? It's the same bloody thing!
Downloading music is illegal too, and you're a theif if you do so; noone has been contesting the fact that it is not the same.

swoop_ds said:
Besides the illegal stuff, modding lets you do some very useful things like make backups for those of us that have kids who always seem to break things and play games from another region.
This is the only thing I will agree on and have no problem with, if you own the game you should be entitled to back it up, and the only thing chips should be used for.

"Playing imported games is fine." No it isn't. This is the reason lik-sang got shut down. Ever play an arcade game? for sale or use in north america only? ever see that? it's illegal to sell and play games across borders with different region codes. suprisingly. it's there for a reason.

also, i'm one of the biggest pirates ever. you should see my dvd collection, but the bottom line is I don't care. Everyone else is too stupid for whatever reason to pirate stuff, so i'll float on their dollar and get my stuff free. I do this with movies anyway, and music. Both of those industries are a MAJOR RIP OFF and aren't consumer based. They are all about the movie and hype, not what the consumer really wants. Video games are different because they are an interactive experience so the community as a whole has a lot more control than they think. We run the video game industry. If players don't buy, they will have to find out what we want and produce it in order to earn dollars. You can see a 10 or 20 movies in a month, but maybe only buy one or two games if that. Companies compete for your dollar when it comes to video games, the movie industry doesn't. Movies are stand alone and don't usually factor in long term what's out there. Video games companies do. In short this is my tired ass rant, but i will never pirate a wii game (i think "retro" downloads are bs and I have every game ever made from atari 2600 to psone sitting on my hard drive with adaptoids and stuff to use the actual controllers on them, yea it's pirating, but i do buy the new games.

CLIFFS NOTES: Yes I probably have almost ever rom that was ever dumped and every psone iso ever created. I have thousands of pirated movies. But I will never ever pirate things for the nintendo wii. I want the wii to succeed. If large scale pirating goes on with the wii, it'll go down like the dreamcast (which i later pirated a complete dreamcast US set once it went defunct). I don't want that to happen to the wii, so i choose my games very carefully and buy them with cash.

Last edited:
oh yea, backup copies are illegal and the biggest load of BS I have ever seen in my life. Don't even use that excuse. Take care of your games. If there is some lamer out there that actually makes those "backup or archival copies" you're an idiot.

dreamcastninja said:
This is the reason lik-sang got shut down

No it wasn't HAH!

It was because of llegally Imported PSPs

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4716

The UK High Court ruled last week that gaming e-tailer Lik-Sang's importation of Japanese PSPs to the UK and European Economic Area as illegal, citing that Japanese units were not certified to European safety standards

I don't have a modchip and dont' really intend on getting one but it's still funny that people think that pirating and modchipping is going to cripple nintendo. As if.

Anyways, I think it's fine for people to modchip especially if they pay for the good games and just copy the crappy ones.

I used to copy games a lot for my computer but I always bought the good ones. The crappy games do not deserve my money.

And if Nintendo 'has' to region code games they could atleast release them at the same time all around the world.

XBox 360 users who have theirs chipped have just been blocked from online gaming.
If you carry out an update thats when they get you. Think one of the main reasons they did it was to stop users online with harddrives using cheat programmes.

Back