Reggie predicts Wii to sell 1 million units by December

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime has predicted the Wii to sell 1million units by early December.

In an interview with Reuters, Fils-Aime predicted that Nintendo will hit the target by early December, and go on to sell another million Wii units by the second week of January. He said that a life span of between four and six years for the console would be "just about right".

He also went on to comment about the profit potential of the Wii console in comparison to its competitors, "We think that's in part why the industry has become so insular - very expensive machines, machines that arguably do more than you need them to do," Fils-Aime said.

"We designed [Wii] from the get-go to be profitable, so it will be past this weekend and throughout its entire life. Because we're a gaming company, we have to be profitable in the gaming business. It's not like our competitors who can make profit in operating systems or TVs to offset their losses on the gaming side."

Link: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21226

It is, plus, 675,000 units sold anyone? It'll easily make it's target.

I'm betting that when Nintendo launches its advertising campaign, sails will accelerate. I have a pretty good hunch that it will hit 1 million before mid-december.

Most probably, if they can keep up with the Christmas sales.

It's not so much a matter of how many will buy the Wii, it's a matter on whether or not they can make enough Wii's before the end-of-year milestone.

If rumors are true of more units arriving this week in stores then I'd be willing to bet that Nintendo sells over 1 million before December.

I guess I missed something. I thought Nintendo said they would have 4 million units shipped worldwide by the end of the year? Am I mistaken?

kenn said:
I guess I missed something. I thought Nintendo said they would have 4 million units shipped worldwide by the end of the year? Am I mistaken?

The 4 million number includes all units shipped to retailers whether they are sold or not...so if there are one million in homes, there will be another 3 million in stores and warehouses waiting to be sold or go onto shelves.

just imagine all those shoppers in stores on the day after thanksgiving!! nuts! wii's will be flying off the shelf

Oh my god, we only checked on that site 1-2 days ago, and already the number shot up to 710,359 from 677,235.

33,000 in two days. o_O

Back