Region locks for DS games.

Scarling

WiiChat Member
Oct 4, 2006
What types of region locks are there on DS games.
The reason i ask is that i'm travelling to Japan soon and i was going to buy DS games accesories if they were compatiable with my UK DS.
No worries if not, but i'd appreciate it a lot if you guys could let me know if i was wasting my time or not?

Thanks in advance.

i didnt think there were region locks on ds games but i could be mistaken, i think the info could be on wikipedia.org :p; it has everything on there

Regional division
The Nintendo DS is region free in the sense that any console will run a Nintendo DS game purchased anywhere in the world; it is the same system everywhere. However, the Chinese version games can only be played on the Chinese iQue DS, whose larger firmware chip contains the required Chinese character glyph images. Nintendo DS of other regions cannot play the Chinese games, while iQue DS can play games of other regions. Also, as with Game Boy games, some games that require both players to have a Nintendo DS Game Card for multiplayer play will not work together if the games are from different regions (e.g. a Japanese Nintendo DS game may not work with a North American Nintendo DS game, though some titles, such as Mario Kart DS, are mutually compatible). With the addition of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, certain games can be played over the Internet with users of a different region game.

Some Wi-Fi enabled games (e.g. Mario Kart DS) allow the selection of opponents by region. The options are Continent and Worldwide, as well as two non-location specific settings. This allows the player to limit competitors to only those opponents based in the same geographical area. It is unknown whether this is based on the region code of the console in use, the region of the cartridge, or geolocation of the IP address.

Found it =)

There are none at all, my aunty send me games over from America, get them before they come out over here :cool:

i just got rocket slime for ds from the usa and i live in the uk so no probs with regions and i think its a great game when u starting getting into it

Back