San Jose Walmarts holding Wiis untill 12/6- how do I know? Look inside...

meth0s

WiiChat Member
Nov 27, 2006
Hi all- long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a tale from trying to get my Wii at a Walmart in San Jose this morning. Here's what happened:

I've been looking for a Wii in Santa Cruz, CA since launch, but no one seems to have any. (I tried camping, but only went 2 1/2 hours early on launch day and couldn't get to a Best Buy on Sunday) Until last night that is. I call a Walmart in San Jose that is 40 miles from where I live and hear the magic words:

"Yes, we have Wii's in stock. We just got them today but can't sell them until they're put into inventory tomorrow. We open at 7AM, so make sure you get here early- we've run out really quickly the last two times our shipments have come in."

I'm doing a small dance in my head at this point. I go to bed early, get up at 4:45 this morning, and arrive at the Walmart at just after 6. I'M THE ONLY ONE THERE! :D It's a miracle. :D I wait, and eventually another guy shows up at 6:15 - he was in the store the night before and was told the same thing that I was. We talk about how excited we are to finally get one. By 7 AM about 3 more people had showed up for Wii's- 5 of us in all.

As soon as the store opens we rush over to the electronics department. The poor lady there has to get someone to help me. I ask where the Wii's are- I hear "Oh yeah- they're in the back- we HAVE 30 OF THEM!!!!" :yikes: I'm stoked. They bring a big box out. I'm getting 2 Wii's- one for me and one for my younger brother. :thumbsup:

I'm the first one to be rung up. The woman scans my item. The register display's "DO NOT SELL"..... :shocked: I'm suddenly struck with fear. She calls a manager over. The manager tries to ring me up. Now the people behind me are getting worried. The manager gets on the phone to some unknown power. He puts the receiver down and begins to speak:

"I can't sell you these unfortunately- I'm supposed to hold them until DECEMBER 6TH!!!!!" :prrr:

The crowd goes into a mild panic. I begin yelling something to the effect of:

"I JUST DROVE FORTY MILES HERE AT 5 AM AFTER CONFIRMING THAT YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO SELL ME AT LEAST ONE OF THESE YESTERDAY, AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME YOU CAN'T SELL ME ONE?!?!?!?! WHAT ABOUT ALL OF THESE PEOPLE BEHIND ME WHO WERE TOLD THE SAME THING?!?!!?! THEY'RE SITTING RIGHT HERE IN MY HANDS- I'M SURE YOU CAN FIND A WAY TO RING US UP!"

To which my lower management friend responds:

"Well, I didn't tell any of you that, and I'm the manager!" :prrr:

At this point the world becomes a blur. One of two things happened. Either I argued with him to the point where he took all of our names and phone numbers down and promised to reserve our Wii's for December 6th (WE DID NOT GET RAINCHECKS), or I set fire to the electronics department using his blood as fuel. Either way, I don't remember anything until I was sitting in the Mcdonald's located inside the Walmart staring at my sausage and egg biscuit.

Needless to say, I was pissed. Very pissed. Still am.

Apparently Bay Area CA Walmarts are holding their stock until December 6th. I don't know if this is true nationally, but it sure sounds like it.

Anyone else hear anything similar?

dang that sucks, ive heard about a couple different stores have a so called "artificial shortage" of wii's i guess to hype it up and everything which i think is bullshit.... but w/e

heres an annoying story i preorder at game i wait half a month even after the preorders started so i get impaitent so i go to hmv for one an d there on the stop i get one
two months later i get a call from game saying if i was intressed for a wii they i say (really being pissed at them)" why are you calling me two months after i checked in for a preorder you are very late mate"
"well you still want one"
" yes but will i get one at launch "
"no but i think you can get one two weeks after"
" **** no! two weeks i went the day you open for it and i get two weeks after you suck goodbye"
"wait"
(hangs up)
well this teachs you all ways get two preorders so you are 99% ure you get one

Its not just your walmart dude. Its every single one in this country. Their scanners are all on the same system. Coporate decided that hey lets put the Wii in the next flier. You know how that goes. They have to hold them because of the flier otherwise its false advertising. I went to my local wal mart today and got the same dance. Wal mart sucks. Im just going to wait till either BB gets them back or Gamestop. Either way this week I will have one oh yes it will be mine!

hmmm, not too sure as well, i'll stop by the one next to my home in the 408 area and check to see if they are doing that as well

They're not artificial shortages. What will happen is that Wal-Mart will probably be advertising the availability of Wiis for that specific date in your area. It's a matter of responsible advertising - good business.

Now, telling you that they have them and then - 'oh, sorry, we can't sell them' is bad business.

Back