Should I buy or rent or forget Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games?

diaoman

WiiChat Member
Oct 8, 2007
I've seen critic reviews of the game ranging from mediocre to good. Those reviews highly contrasted the user reviews, which mostly praised the game as being "the best multiplayer wii game" and "so much fun". This contradiction is confusing me. Please, owners of this game, would u guys recommend me to buy, rent, or forget this game?

I can probably compare this to warioware, which I really enjoyed for the first few weeks I played it. Then after I practically memorized and mastered
every microgame in it, I grew bored of it and my friends grew bored of playing it as well. Its multiplayer wasn't randomizing enough on the microgame selections.

So judging by overall satisfaction, including short-term and long-term....again, should I buy, rent, or forget this game?

Last edited:
i'm not sold on mario and sonic. it seems like a mini-game fest to me. but there are a lot of missions for each individual character. i think given your history w/ warioware you will like it. but i never even played the game so...yeah

Shame it's not online, otherwise buying I would be doing :)
But Im not getting it. Im a hardcore gamer, Don't do party games

Wii_Smurf said:
Shame it's not online, otherwise buying I would be doing :)
But Im not getting it. Im a hardcore gamer, Don't do party games

Yeah i couldnt see myself spending much time with this. there is wifi but its only for online record keeping which is kiiinda cool but deff not worth the purchase for me.

I am definetely considering buying it at some point. It seems like an old school style sports game, reminisant of the likes of Hypersports or Decathalon and they were pretty hardcore back then. The 1500m race on C64 Decathalon would probably have most 'hardcore' gamers in tears nowadays (it really did hurt).

No direct online competition isnt that big of a deal with the majority of the events. With track & field events you are usually trying for the best time and the online leaderboard should be enough to be able to compete against others best times. Its a shame for events like fencing though, where direct online competition would have made a difference.

Much like Wii Sports, Mario & Sonic will be a good party game to play with real friends so if you actually have friends who come to your house then it'd be a great buy or at least rental.

I really want to buy it because i liked those old sports games, have friends who come over to play and lastly because its Mario & Sonic together in a game for the first time (which is a pretty big deal for anyone from the Snes/Megadrive era). Only thing that is stopping me buying it right now is Mario Galaxy, MOH:Heroes 2 and Trauma Center: New Blood all being released this month..

im "might" buy this game, but not without renting it, i suggest you rent it first

I'm a Mario fan through and through, but I think I am definitely gonna rent this one to decide if I'll purchase it. Usually with Mario games I buy them right away because I know I'll like them. But ever since that Mario baseball game, I think twice now *shudders*

rent this game first if your not sure about it. always rent if your not sure. dont take the risk of buying the game. the game seems to be pretty short. but i could be wrong.

i rented it today. i like mario games and sonic games. i also like mini games but this game i do not like. i would say do not buy it. the controls don't work very well and its way to much work to play. i work construction and this GAME is too much work. rent it first is my opinion

Definitely worth a buy if you like fun, mini-games. Great for playing with friends. I only rented it, but that was just because I'm totally broke.

Oh, and also. After playing it for about 2 hours today, I can barely move my arms. Its quite a workout.

Back