small tv

Mr_Stoukaph

WiiChat Member
Jul 8, 2006
Washington
Wii Online Code
2509-0795-4188-6793
how will the wii work on a small television? i have a 13" tv in my room. will i need to upgrade to a bigger one to play games?

why would you need to do that, the sensor bar won't care how big or small your TV is...all you need to worry about is how far back you sit (or stand) when you play...sometimes things could look a little small maybe

i mean, like, the since things are smaller that would make them closer together and it would be harder to aim at the little things (e.g. in TP when youre aiming the bow at something)

Hi Mr Stoukaph,

How many inches is your computer moniter? Because the Wii will come standard with VGA output, so you will be able to play games on your moniter. So it should be easier to sit close to a moniter than it is to a TV. Another advantage of using your moniter is that it should have a far greater resolution than a TV which will aid in trying to point at small objects with the Wiimote.

Last edited:
I think u dont understand something... when u point the wii mote, u can point into the wall, it doesnt matter, the sensor bar will understand this information and make the respective action
Correct me if im wrong

yeah, i get that, but like on a bigger tv it will be easier to point to a small item on the ground but for a smaller tv you would need to make sure you point it more precisly, right?

stickey_label said:
Hi Mr Stoukaph,

How many inches is your computer moniter? Because the Wii will come standard with VGA output, so you will be able to play games on your moniter. So it should be easier to sit close to a moniter than it is to a TV. Another advantage of using your moniter is that it should have a far greater resolution than a TV which will aid in trying to point at small objects with the Wiimote.

its about the same size as my tv but the higher resolution might help

Mr_Stoukaph said:
yeah, i get that, but like on a bigger tv it will be easier to point to a small item on the ground but for a smaller tv you would need to make sure you point it more precisly, right?
no i dont think so cause either if u ddont have the tv the sensor bar will kknoe where the controller is so if there is a big, small, medium or any size tv it will work = for anyone. but i think playing on a bigger one is better :)

i guess this also goes with the "will you have calibrate the sensor bar" question. i think you would becaus it would need to know how big your tv was so it could know what you were pointing at.

I think it might be kind of along the lines as if a DVD was "formatted to fit the screen," not all screen sizes are the same, but the technology in the DVD player unserstands how to send the signal. I think the Wii and the wiimote and sensor bar will just do sort of the same thing.

sweet. im glad i can be waving around wildly in the privacy of my own room:D

i hopefully getting a new tv when i get my wii at christmas it's not that i'm worried about something like this it would work alright with my tv it's just i don't like the one i have got already

Arcadium said:
no i dont think so cause either if u ddont have the tv the sensor bar will kknoe where the controller is so if there is a big, small, medium or any size tv it will work = for anyone. but i think playing on a bigger one is better :)
does this mean in metroid prime 3 to turn all the way round you yourelf would have to turn around?

Sensitivity and relative motions

Just because your TV is small doesnt mean you are at a disadvantage other than the fact that you have to sit closer because you cant see a small tv from far away. All wiimote motions are relative. That is why you can use large exagerated motions or small compact motions to produce the same effect in a game. Say you are trying to aim in Zelda with the bow. . . you would have to point the wiimote in a certain direction (up to hit something high, low to his something low) and the system *should* be smart enough to know what you are trying to do. Now the amount to which you have to point may be adjustable (much like sensitivity can be adjusted in a lot of computer type games and Halo on XBox for instance) Now back to aiming that bow. . .Just because your TV is small does not mean that you have to turn down your sensitivity to see good results and accurate aiming - everything on the screen appears smaller, including the device you are attempting to aim (in this case a bow). So your relative motion with the controler, whether youre a 7 foot man or a 3 foot boy, should translate to a relative motion to the screen whethter it is a 9" portable or a 182" projection screen. Imagine playing Zelda on GC or 64 and having to push the analog stick only half way because your tv was small and a full push would throw off your aim, or imagine playing those games on a large screen and having to push the analog stick all the way in a certain direction and hold it there for a while until your aim lines up with your target. This would be ridiculous and Nintendo knows it would, so you have to have faith in them and faith in relativity.

motherbrainrulez said:
does this mean in metroid prime 3 to turn all the way round you yourelf would have to turn around?

U use the nunchuk to turn around, not the wiimote.....

Back