SMG or SM64?

KyleForMe said:
Haven't gotten very far yet... but graphics aside, so far it seems that SMG will be the better because it keeps elements that made SM64 great and builds on it.

exactly what i was thinking. mario 64 may have been my fav. game of all time, and i never even owned it until vc version. now im not gonna be able to play it cuz of galaxy. let me get a little further b4 i make true comparisons.

:aureola:Super Mario Galaxy is a sequal that is worthy of being: :aureola:

"THE BEST 3-D MARIO GAME EVER CREATED!!!!!!!!!":devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Hard for me to say SMG was better. It truly was an advancement, not just graphic wise, but gameplay. But the huge fact that SMG was RIDICULOUSLY EASY was extremely gay and I wll say SM64 was a whole alot better.

I'd say the level design is a lot more creative and more fun than SM64. There's way more to do: raysurfing, the supermonkeyball ripoff, the bubble blowing mazes. 64 had a better buildup to the final showdown in that it wasn't as easypeasy to get there, and 64 was more about exploring. i'd go back to worlds in that game just to hang out there and ride a greenshell. SMG isn't like that, it strings up challenges for you to face in order and as far as that goes, it does it fantastically. I'm not going to say one is better than the other, but as far as level design and gameplay, SMG wins. SM64 was a more cohesive experience with much more payoff when I could climb past the neverending stairs.

K LoLo said:
I'm feeling SMG...i couldnt ever even beat SM 64...it made me upset!

Really? I also found SM64 to be an easy game.

Its just that SMG was EXTREMELY easy. I didnt have much fun playing the game. I felt kind of bad my dad bought me the game after I mentioned that I was thinking on buying it.

My younger brother who I never said anything bad about galaxy to him stop playing it after his first try. I think he played for 1-2 hours and hasn't played it since. He said it was really really easy. I never said anything about it being easy so its not like I influenced how he felt for the game. Now he has my Wii sitting in his room without playing it.

On the bright side it wont be so bad for my dad cuz he sucks at 3d platformers. So I guess it will be challenging for him maybe...

Personally? I say both games are different enough. I like them both equally. However... I will probably still play Mario 64 more than any other game. It simply has the highest replay value for any game I own, with FF7 being #2 on my list. Still... Mario Galaxy and FF12 will still be way up there on my quality list.

Woops, accidentally created the same thread as this recently, sorry guys for doing so. (Should have searched first :mad2: )

Yes, the graphics are great on the wii, but is it really that much better? I dont know why, i just thought that the whole idea of exploring huge levels is much better than many small levels. Stuff like the 7 red coins in a huge level could sometimes be challenging. Instead, in galaxy they have 5 corners of stars on a very small comet or the 100 purple coins, which are all linked together which involves no exploration. Unless i have not reached it yet, everything in Super Mario Galaxy is straight forward. Theres no exploration, theres only one way to get to the next area and its usually straight in front of you.
Dont get me wrong, Super Mario Galaxy is a great game, and anyone who doesnt have it yet should definately buy it, but i just dont see how it can measure up to a game like super mario 64.

T3kNi9e said:
Really? I also found SM64 to be an easy game.
Its just that SMG was EXTREMELY easy. I didnt have much fun playing the game. I felt kind of bad my dad bought me the game after I mentioned that I was thinking on buying it.

My younger brother who I never said anything bad about galaxy to him stop playing it after his first try. I think he played for 1-2 hours and hasn't played it since. He said it was really really easy. I never said anything about it being easy so its not like I influenced how he felt for the game. Now he has my Wii sitting in his room without playing it.

On the bright side it wont be so bad for my dad cuz he sucks at 3d platformers. So I guess it will be challenging for him maybe...

I know how you feel. I always thought that SM64 was much more difficult than SMG, but that might be because i was much younger and inexperienced when i first played SM64 as it was one of my first games.

Some levels in SMG you can go wherever you want, the icy galaxy with the summit comes to mind, basically any galaxy that seems like flat ground rather than spherical. It's definitely more linear than SM64, but the levels have so much more in them that i have no problem taking their cues.

SMG is really easy during the first hours, but getting all 120 stars
as both Mario and Luigi
is fun and challenging.

Mario Sunshine as I call it, is Hard Core Mario. You need to be very skillful to get all the Shine in that game. It's just very unforgiving and hard to obtain certain stars. You'll often tell yourself when you beat some stages, "I don't ever want to do that again." Mario Sunshine is great if you aren't trying to ace it out. But it has a few stages that are harder there, than in any Mario game I have ever played.

I have played and won... Mario 1-3, Mario 64, SMW, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Mario is Lost, Mario RPG, Dr Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party 1-2, Mario Lost Levels.

Back