something wrong with my wii?

ChrisWii123

Wii owner
Mar 26, 2007
Palmdale, lake la
Wii Online Code
3109-4131-2560-7263
Yesterday me and my freind were bout 2 use the wii, i noticed the wii was really hot, especially in the middle of it and it still is boiling hot, it never used to do that, and i have never moved the wii from where i first put it and the only way it cools down is if i unplug it.Is it normal for it to be really hot? i havent been using it a lot lately, not sure how it can be that hot.

ima check if i have that problem i just did nope

Last edited:
This Only Happens When Your Wii Is On The "Standby" Setting... In Other Words, It Has The Orange Light Instead Of The Green Light...

It Doesn't Hurt It, Not At All... Because Mine Has Been Online And On Standby Since Launch!(Nov 19, 2006)

So, Don't Worry About It.

feel free to give rep!

Buy a Intercooler for your Wii! Works fine on mine and it stays cool.

Well instead of spending money do you have a normal fan? Like a small desk fan? If you do then just put that behind it I did that with my ps2 and it never over heated after that. Besides the fan probably has different speeds and doubles as a semi portable fan for you :p yes I'm cheap thank you all for pointing that out XP

OR, you can just trust that nintendo did extensive heat test with the machine on and off and standby. Yes, mine gets hot to, but I dont worry. Its hot....but its not scolding. The temp that you would read off of it would probably be about 40 - 45 C. Thats not bad without fans...in fact its quite good. Now if it hurts to keep your hand there longer than 30 seconds...then you have a problem.

Before you worry, try taking the temp. If its above 55 C then I would worry, otherwise, dont worry.

Mine has been on since UK launch day - it has never got hot or even close to something I would call hot.

Have you got good ventelation around the unit?

It should be warm and not "boiling hot". It may also be the position you keep your wii. Keeping it standing vertically allows more air to pass on both sides so it remains a lot cooler than when standing horizontally. Although personally I keep it lying horizontally and mine is fine.

J-Tizzle said:
Buy a Intercooler for your Wii! Works fine on mine and it stays cool.
Cheaper option, just make it stand in the vertical position. If it's in horizontal position, the bottom gets hot, because in standby mode (orange LED), heat can't escape very easily from the bottom (the little fan on the back is not ON).

Yes, if it in horizontal position, and if you don't leave enough clearance between the surface of the table and the bottom casing (like on a carpet), the bottom case can get really HOT. :ee5k:

Last edited:
Mystic_Sapphire said:
Well instead of spending money do you have a normal fan? Like a small desk fan? If you do then just put that behind it I did that with my ps2 and it never over heated after that. Besides the fan probably has different speeds and doubles as a semi portable fan for you :p yes I'm cheap thank you all for pointing that out XP

Thats not such a bad idea either. YOu can do both but the normal fan will blow dust into your Wii system.

Make sure that the fans are both in an open space, if that isn't the problem there are a few cooling stands coming out soon. Or at a last resort try and get a replacement.

Back