Sonic Gets 3.9 from ign

Nice summary Maximo. :)

I would have guessed that the IGN and NP reviews were extremes and the game would probably fall somewhere inbetween; like a 6 or a 7. Something that has suprised me is how many people have said how high the difficulty level is, when it was first announced I was expecting it to be a much more casual game.

Thanks Maximo for the review. I definatly will buy this game, but as you said, I'm waiting till after my next planned purchase :cornut:

IGN said:
There isn't a level in Black Knight that is even one tenth as compelling as a single daylight mission in Sonic Unleashed.

I'm a hardcore Sonic fan, but I'm still reasonable. If this is true, I am not buying this game.

Sonic Unleashed (minus werehog sections) set a new benchmark for the way 3D Sonic should be played. There isn't much point for a Sonic game to revert back to the Secret Rings game mechanics when Unleashed's Daylight stage game mechanics are the ones that surpassed it.

Someone wake me up when Sonic Unleashed 2 comes out.

Last edited:
Bio, don't go by what IGN says about Sonic... EVER.

Hell, they gave Unleashed a 4.5

Last edited:
Bio, don't go by what IGN says about Sonic... EVER.

Hell, they gave Unleashed a 4.5

IGN is a great source. 9 times out of 10 their reviews are spot-on. They gave the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed a 7.0 and Secret Rings in the 7 range, both of which I find pretty close to what they deserve..

But yeah, aside from the well-written Unleashed review for the Wii, I don't take them seriously when it comes to reviewing Sonic games. Yes, the 4.5 for the PS3/360 versions of Unleashed is WAY too low. Some reason IGN is incredibly harsh on Sonic most of the time.

Last edited:
No 2D sidescrolling platformer? It's crap. You just know it. I'm starting to hate Sonic, a series I loved for 18 years. Can't SEGA do anything right with their own mascot?
@Bodine-They gave unleashed a 4.5 because that's what it deserved. I could not play it for more than a few moments.
*Copy/paste response for all console Sonic titles from the past 8-9 years*

Last edited:
2-D Sonic games are the only ones I'll ever play.

The last sonic I enjoyed was sonic rush, all the others were completely, utter crap.

I usually agree with Matt Casamassina's reviews but most of the people who have the game seem to be saying that it is better than the Secret Rings or on par with Unleashed and both received higher scores from IGN.

I think the fact that it is a Sonic game almost automatically loses it points with IGN because they really want Sega to produce something of Mario Galaxy quality. If it wasn't a Sonic game and was an unknown IP then maybe it would have been scored higher.

Nah, haven't you heard IGN's rants about Sonic? All they want is for them to go back to the classic formula. Anything that goes against the "game plays itself" days of Sonic 2 on the genesis is garbage to them. They went WAAAYYY too hard on this game.

But man, the graphics on this game are absolutely gorgeous. I hope more games look like that in the future.

Nah, haven't you heard IGN's rants about Sonic? All they want is for them to go back to the classic formula. Anything that goes against the "game plays itself" days of Sonic 2 on the genesis is garbage to them. They went WAAAYYY too hard on this game.

But man, the graphics on this game are absolutely gorgeous. I hope more games look like that in the future.

Good, they score it based on what Sonic fans want. We wouldn't want to be misguided with an 8/10, thinking it's a good Sonic game, go out to buy it and see that it's garbage.

Good, they score it based on what Sonic fans want. We wouldn't want to be misguided with an 8/10, thinking it's a good Sonic game, go out to buy it and see that it's garbage.
Unleashed only received high praise because for a few moments it felt like an old sonic game, which to me is kind of boring. Just like how TP received great reviews because it was Ocarina of Time 2.0.

Yes when you're 6 years old it's fun to press a button and watch the blue wonder charge through a stage at the speed of sound and all the eye candy is nice, but now it's just nostalgia.

Unleashed only received high praise because for a few moments it felt like an old sonic game, which to me is kind of boring. Just like how TP received great reviews because it was Ocarina of Time 2.0.

Yes when you're 6 years old it's fun to press a button and watch the blue wonder charge through a stage at the speed of sound and all the eye candy is nice, but now it's just nostalgia.

Sonic sales aren't that great either, and history shows high review score = high sales; low review score = low sales. So obviously the now-a-day 6 year olds might that blue eye candy charging through the stage.

Everyone needs to stop comparing Black Knight to Unleashed ,and even the older Genesis games. You need to look at this game as it's own seperate spin off. They obviously weren't looking to make a new game to beat Unleashed (and rightfully so since it hasnt even been a year between the releases)

Hell is it even fair to say theres been 6 months between the releases. Which brings me to something ironic i found. The copy of the game i rented had an ad for Unleashed on the back of the booklet.

They weren't trying to make a traditional sonic game they were just taking another take on it.

Back