Sooo... can you connect to the virtual console with dial up, or not????

_pj_

WiiChat Member
Dec 9, 2007
Hey, I bought my Wii a few months back secondhand, with credits left for the virtual console, but i have dial up internet. I can not get broadband here, at all, i have tried everything, NOONE will provide it here. I did have cable through Foxtel line, but Telstra decided they can't do that in my area anymore.

So basically... can you connect to the net just to download games from the virtual console... and if so, could someone please give me a few hints to go about this. :smilewinkgrin:

I'm a rather computer illiterate gal, technologically challenged, so if you can.... please dumb it down a bit for me :crazy:

Thanks

I dont think so. The Wii Lan Adapter only connects with Broadband wires so thats out of the question. Havent heard of any adapter for Dial Up

DSL will work if you can get it in your area.
And just to let you know, Dial up is now more expensive than DSL.

I can not get ANYTHING except dial up in my house. The only chance i have of getting better internet, is if my neighbours get Wi-Fi, and I could connect off of theirs. I do realise that dial up sux, i hate it. I do realise it's not worth the money you pay for it... i HATE it. I thought i made it clear that I can NOT get anything but dial up here. :mad2: I've tried everything here, Telstra is the only company capable of providing a faster internet service, but they won't anymore for some god knows what reason. They have a monopoly over the lines here, NO other company can give me anything faster than dial up.

Maybe...

Nintendo should create an adapter or something that makes Virtual Console accessible for Dial-Up. I'm not 100% positive about this but I think that Dial-Up is more expensive than DSL... Hmmmmmmm... If anyone knows please reply.

the wifi usb connector might work. it will be slow though.

So,
how does your neighbor getting Wi-Fi help? I'm assuming they have broadband of some kind? If they have it, why can't you get it?
Have you looked into satellite?
Kiiski

OMG you people are morons!! Just answer the goddamn question! Forget the fkin broadband/dial up shi't, i CAN NOT GET HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!

Delete my profile moderators... this place friggin blows chunks!!

Kiiski, they don';t have it, noone has broadband, i can't get it cause i live in an old house, with shared lines to my neighbour to my left... the one to my right is an old coot, who would never get internet, but he could if he wanted to, he does NOT have a shared line. If he was to get the internet some day, or if he dies and someone else gets it, and happens to get wi fi, and i also had a wi fi modem, i could use his internetz! Sheeeesh!! ALSO for those of you.... i pay $8 for dial up, and my cable was $60 a month... so no, it's not more expensive

For you try Hughesnet.com, they specialize in remote internet services including satellite. Do not know how much it is but you can try it out and yes, if your neighbors get broadband (wireless modem needed however), you can use theirs. Them just having a hardline broadband connection will not help you though. They would have to have it also setup wirelessly unless you can split their cable in which I am quite sure they will notice.

Connect your computer to the internet via dial-up...

... and then plug in one of these to your computer's USB port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_USB_Connector

That's the Nintendo Wifi USB connector. It basically transforms your computer into a Wireless Access point to provide Wifi access to your Wii and DS. This works while your computer is connected via dial-up modem to the internet.

Of course, your speed is still limited to your dial-up's speed. But your Wii is now connected to the internet.

According to Nintendo's official word, the Wifi USB connector requires broadband access. However, reports from the wild indicate some success with dial-up.

Here's a Youtube tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOZOpl5Qqbk

The whole set-up is kinda complicated, so your success can only be guaranteed by your desire to connect your Wii to the outside world.:ihih:

Back