Wii w/Dial-up Connection

Saku said:
Wow, you have that kind of speed! I feel bad for you :( But I guess I can understand how you feel since I didn't even get DSL until last year and I had to fight for it.

But yeah, surely you can use it. But like someone said, it's going to be incredibly slow and dealing with the updating and stuff, I don't know how long that will even take for you.

Well like I said, if i can get the same download speeds i have now (around 2.9k on a good day, which I know isn't much), I'll have absolutely no problem with the speed. Then again, I don't know if you can get much lower than that lol so I guess I'll try it if I can find a Wii next week in stock to buy.

omg. i rememeber when i had dial up. took weeks to download stuff. it will work but it might be a little slower because it isnt a direct connection (but not by much but then again, you arnt working with much to start with lol). you might have to leave your Wii on for a while (days maybe for the larger games) for it to download some ROMS on that slow of a connection

MrAllStarChris said:
Now A Days dsl is just as cheap as dial up

That may be true but it doesn't mean that DSL is as available to everyone as dial-up is.

Mitch2025 said:
omg. i rememeber when i had dial up. took weeks to download stuff. it will work but it might be a little slower because it isnt a direct connection (but not by much but then again, you arnt working with much to start with lol). you might have to leave your Wii on for a while (days maybe for the larger games) for it to download some ROMS on that slow of a connection

Well like I said, i'd be mostly getting SNES games which, from what I understand, the file sizes aren't that bad at all on them. I do have another question tho. Are the Wii updates (so far) usually a big size or something I could probably work with? Like 10MB at the max

do u have cable TV? get cable high speed internet, works great cuz everyone has DSL and the calbe lines a so fast and barely uses it, on peak i can hit 10 MB/s but avg. like 3000-ish KB/s

lol Anyway, another thing I just thought of that would be handy to me. If you are downloading something and for whatever reason you get disconnected, will the download pick back up exactly where it left off or will it have to start over from the beginning?

martin8768 said:
do u have cable TV? get cable high speed internet, works great cuz everyone has DSL and the calbe lines a so fast and barely uses it, on peak i can hit 10 MB/s but avg. like 3000-ish KB/s

No I have DirecTV. Trust me, I've checked and checked and checked some more for a better connection and it's just simply not available out here.

Wow...just...wow, Dialup still exists? I thought, you know, that it went extinct? How can you live that far away from DSL/Broadband? You'll be happy with 2.9kbs d/l speeds? I'm not really happy with 250kbs download speeds :O

When you've had it as long as I've had with no other alternative, you learn to live with what you got and try to make the best of it.

I have the wifi connector for DS (same one) and some games- fished out the wifi instruction manual that came with mario kart DS (knew it would come in useful ONE day). I quote;

"to play games over the internet at home, you will need:
*An active broadband internet connection
*A wireless access point, such as a wireless router or 'usb connector'
blah blah blah

Bear in mind this is for the DS, but i assume wii will work similarly- though you arent playing online, and you could get it to work, it could ba a bit of a risk. Does anyone have a similar wifi booklet but for wii?

Yes I know what it says about needing an active broadband connection but that is about playing games. I just simply want it to work so I can get the latest updates, use the Wii Channels (not that important but would be nice), and get games from the VC.

I did find this link eariler about how to get the Wifi for the DS to work with a 56K dial-up connection. Mine is gradually lower but still, this is also for gaming and that's not what i'm interested in doing.

Nintendo wifi with dial-up Tutorial - Nintendo WFC General Discussion - Nintendo NSider Forums

I share the same situation as you do, with the dial-up, so don't feel alone :p

Stupid phone companies could put the DSL stuff out to us, but they're too lazy to. I've yelled and threatened people on the phone to no avail.....It sucks.

VampiricLugia said:
I share the same situation as you do, with the dial-up, so don't feel alone :p

Stupid phone companies could put the DSL stuff out to us, but they're too lazy to. I've yelled and threatened people on the phone to no avail.....It sucks.

Tell me about it. They've been promising it to us for about 4 years now.

Back