Wi-Fi Adapter + Dial up?

The Man on Ice
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
Yeah, so I haven't been successful in my search through these forums so could anyone give me a definite answer to the wi-fi adapter working with dial up? I need my online back and I don't give two about its speed :(

so you're the ONE still using dial up. :lol:
just kidding. the lan adaptor won't work because it's fitted for an ethernet cable. Are you talking about the usb dongle? that may work but i've heard some bad things about them anyway. You're best bet would probably be to pick up a wireless router and connect through that. Kind of pricy though spending at least $50 to get the wii online. maybe just try the dongle and see how it does, then if it does work you've only spent $20, and if it doesn't you might have a chance of returning it.
hope that helps.

kyle

p.s.- i don't have experience with dial-up so i'm not 100% sure if the dongle will work, but i don't see why it wouldn't it just takes the connection from your computer and transmits it as a wi-fi signal, it doesn't know what's plugged into the modem though.

Last edited:
You could probably send emails, but there is no way you could connect to the shop channel or play games unfortunately.

I've got a computer in the basement set up to handle a dial up internet connection for my router in the event my broadband goes out. It's connected to a regular port on my router. It's running Linux but I've done the same thing before with a Windows box and the Internet Connection Sharing wizard. When there's a broadband outage, I fire up the basement computer and disconnect the DSL modem from the router. I haven't used it specifically for the Wii yet as I haven't had an outage since then but it's handled all my other wireless devices just fine. I know that's not a definite answer but I'd be willing to bet large sums of money it would work in your situation.

I have no clue what a dongle is, and it sounds dirty so don't tell me. For your information, Brawny has Dialup as well.

Thanks for the easy, straight forward answer Frummage.

The topic can be locked now, thanks for the replies.

261311 said:
I have no clue what a dongle is, and it sounds dirty so don't tell me. For your information, Brawny has Dialup as well.

Thanks for the easy, straight forward answer Frummage.

The topic can be locked now, thanks for the replies.

haha, its a little plastic do-dad that looks kind of like a flash drive, but you plug it into a usb slot and it emits a Wi-Fi signal.

and i was just joking about the dial-up thing, i know people still have it and in some areas broadband is either impossible to get or close... or still insanely expensive.

let us know how everything works out.

Haha, that's the thing though. The city I live in (Mississauga) is next to one of the business capitals of Canada (Toronto) and broadband is not expensive (in fact my Aunt pays $10 a month extra for this crap compared to Rogers Highspeed Lite - Don't ask why, I don't know).

I'll probably get it once I have some real disposable income, can't warrant wasting cash on something that won't give me full access.

261311 said:
Haha, that's the thing though. The city I live in (Mississauga) is next to one of the business capitals of Canada (Toronto) and broadband is not expensive (in fact my Aunt pays $10 a month extra for this crap compared to Rogers Highspeed Lite - Don't ask why, I don't know).

I'll probably get it once I have some real disposable income, can't warrant wasting cash on something that won't give me full access.

i gotcha. around here comcast does a deal for phone/internet and cable, so it's actually cheaper for broadband with that deal then it would be to get them separate with dial-up.:cool:

Back