System setup pics???

paintba||er said:
I sold my PC. :)

Before:

img0528hs9.jpg

After:

img0812le8.jpg

Huge improvement. Now I just need an Apple display, BlueTooth Mighty Mouse, (getting with my MacBook) and BlueTooth Apple keyboard.

BTW if the aluminum part of the mini looks scratched in the pics it isn't, it's just reflecting scratches that are on the desk.

the apple display is much needed:cool: i have that same bluetooth headset, it was better than my motorola h3

A Mac Mini is no different than any other Micro-ATX motherboard out there.

ALL current Mac "PC's" and notebooks ARE IBM compatible components. There's only ONE difference.

Apple forces the motherboard manufacturer (usually Intel themselves) to install on the board a chip which only allows Apple's OS to run. ALL Apple OS's look for that chip too, so that they won't run on a normal PC motherboard.

Yes, there are hacks to get around this on the newest macs (and some older ones will allow Windows XP to install without a hitch), but seriously, there's no practical or even technical difference nowadays between a Mac and the same motherboard sold generically.

As much as people complain about Microsoft, think on this. You CAN'T even BUY a MAC OS unless you can prove you own a MAC. You CAN'T buy a MAC PC/laptop with getting a MAC OS with it.

One last thing. Apple's newest OS is based on Linux. %85 of the code is what someone else wrote.

Oh, as to the adding a graphics card thing, it depends on the model of the Mac.

We used Macs at school and I SWEAR they crashed as much as PCs do, ran slower, cost way more, couldnt be (easily) upgraded/modded. Don't have similar install slots as a PC (excepting the G5 towers). Nor could they run PC games, unless you were willing to pay a fortune for a G5 with the right graphics chipset. Admittedly the Mac OS kicks Windows', and certainly looks 'nicer', I just prefer the cheapness and expandability I have with my equivilent PC.

BTW I really want one of those Dell 30" LCD's they look fantastic on a budget!

Deanis said:
Arent Mac minis highly underpowered? (I mean compared to a PC with a good graphics card and 4Gb RAM)? Can you even fit a dedicated graphics card into them?
Well, they are pretty good for $600. Of course they will be underpowered when compared to a high end PC. You can't change the graphics card, (well, not easily) but it is obviously not meant for gaming, (are any Macs?) or extremely heavy video editing, (its fine unless you plan on using Final Cut Pro (even that is ok as long as you don't use Motion a lot)) so the shitty integrated Intel one will work fine for most things it's users will be doing.

strommsarnac said:
A Mac Mini is no different than any other Micro-ATX motherboard out there.

ALL current Mac "PC's" and notebooks ARE IBM compatible components. There's only ONE difference.

Apple forces the motherboard manufacturer (usually Intel themselves) to install on the board a chip which only allows Apple's OS to run. ALL Apple OS's look for that chip too, so that they won't run on a normal PC motherboard.

Yes, there are hacks to get around this on the newest macs (and some older ones will allow Windows XP to install without a hitch), but seriously, there's no practical or even technical difference nowadays between a Mac and the same motherboard sold generically.
The chip doesn't prevent other OSs from being installed on a Mac. It just prevents OS X from being installed on non-Apple computers. Apple even has an app to simplify the installation of other OSs, its called BootCamp.

strommsarnac said:
As much as people complain about Microsoft, think on this. You CAN'T even BUY a MAC OS unless you can prove you own a MAC. You CAN'T buy a MAC PC/laptop with getting a MAC OS with it.
And its pretty damn close to the same with PCs. It is very hard to find good PCs at a good price that don't have Windows preinstalled. Many Linux users resort to buying a PC with Windows, then spending multiple hours on the phone trying to get a refund for Windows which is promised in the Windows license, only with a small success rate.

strommsarnac said:
One last thing. Apple's newest OS is based on Linux. %85 of the code is what someone else wrote.
Umm....no. OS X is based on BSD, which is in turn based on Unix. It is not based on Linux, though it is closely related to it seeing as Linux is also based on Unix. Your figures are also faulty. It is BSD at the base, but if you strip everything that was done by Apple you would have a very incomplete OS. I don't see how it being based on an excellent and stable OS is a negative aspect either.

Deanis said:
We used Macs at school and I SWEAR they crashed as much as PCs do, ran slower, cost way more, couldnt be (easily) upgraded/modded. Don't have similar install slots as a PC (excepting the G5 towers). Nor could they run PC games, unless you were willing to pay a fortune for a G5 with the right graphics chipset. Admittedly the Mac OS kicks Windows', and certainly looks 'nicer', I just prefer the cheapness and expandability I have with my equivilent PC.
It sounds like you used old PowerPC Macs. :/ If you plan on playing games on it, then I definitely wouldn't recommend a Mac at all, because while they are catching up in the gaming area, (GH3,UT3,GoW) they still have a long way to go. If forced to use a PC I would install Linux, (nearly as good as Mac IMO) or if I were a PC gamer I would dual boot with Linux and Windoze, but only boot Windoze to play games that can't be played through WINE.

Deanis said:
BTW I really want one of those Dell 30" LCD's they look fantastic on a budget!
I wish Apple displays were of comparable price. A 30" is $1,800. :shocked: But an ugly black Dell won't really fit in with my Macs. -_- I found an old 22" Apple display on a local classified ad for $400, so I may purchase that. I love the appearance of the older ones, (and the new ones, but not as much so) but I feel like I'm getting screwed so badly when paying $400 for a four year old monitor.

Last edited:
PC Rig: 2.6GHz Dual. 2Gb RAM. 8800GTS. 320Gb HDD. 22" Samsung LCD. Logitech THX 2.1 speakers (freaking crank).
P1050476.jpg

I'm posting my new set-up as I bought myself a new TV a few days ago and moved some stuff around. It's a 19" HD LCD made by LG, it's not big, but it's good for my bedroom, leaning against it is my DS. At the top is my Wii, underneath is my Freeview reciever, then my PS2, then my DVD player. In the top left is my Thrustmaster Wii-mote charger, it's awesome :D. At the bottom I put my laptop in the picture, it's not very good and can't be used for gaming but oh well lol.

DSC00410.jpg

In my cupboard I set up my old TV with my N64 too haha.

DSC00411.jpg

My Sega Megadrive (or Genesis to you Americans) is also set up in there but it's higher up so you can't see it in the picture.

DSC00413.jpg

Last edited:
img0816ne6.jpg

img0817hs6.jpg

img0818wg3.jpg

I think I'm just going to trash the monitor and hook my mini to my TV to use as a media center dealie. I originally planned on using the monitor as a second desktop for my MacBook, but after using the MacBook with a better resolution, and all around better quality display I don't really want to hook it to a shitty CRT.

I actually have my MacBook sitting on the sleeve that it was packaged in so the bottom doesn't get scratched.

<---- Is over protective of Apple products.

I'm loving my MacBook and the Wireless Mighty Mouse BTW.

Here's my setup in my living room.

42" Toshiba 1080P LCDTV, and my macbook made it in there too.

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

The pic doesn't do the TV much justice.

You all are gonna LAUGH at these.

This is the college life. Cinder block walls, ratty old shelves, minimal "setup" space.

But here are some pics for kicks anyway. My "sweet" setup...HAH.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/pennantpickle/gameshelf.jpg ---The amazing game shelf.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/pennantpickle/tvandstuff.jpg The itty bitty TV and the almighty Wii

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/pennantpickle/ci.jpg My personal favorite. "Controller Island"

Oh, how I yearn for my home setup at times. Oh well.

Back