Tales from the line

tank

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Nov 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I was lucky enough that I didn't have to camp to get my Wii. My brother and his roommate (who I gave the money to) camped out for 7 hours outside of Circuit City to get them. But what about you guys? I'm sure someone has to have some good stories about their experience camping out for their Wii.

I can pass a long just a funny second hand story from my friend who camped out. Apparently on two instances, someone walked past the line and yelled out losers, and someone yelled from their car on the freeway "Gaming is for queers" The whole thing makes me laugh either way.

So me and my friends are the first 5 in line. We're sitting there in our chairs and such, its about 8 in the morning i think. The toys r us we're at opens 2 hours early this day for employees of the local hospital (they cant reserver the wii btw) and well they're all lined up at a seperate spot.

This one guy walks over and hands me a dollar bill, doesnt say a word, just walks back to the line and back inside. Me andmy friends were laughing our asses off. We had no clue as to why he would give us a dollar. Other than maybe he thought i was homeless, maybe a coke addict. So from then on i acted like a coke addict heh.

He comes out later and one of my friends asks him why he gave up the dollar and turns out his wife thought we were homeless. I recall him saying "they dress pretty snazzy for homeless people"

I came into the line number 19 of 20 at Walmart. The manager came out every hour or so to check up on us, and each time he counted people. After a few hours, our numbers stopped matching up. Apperantly someone had cut in, but nobody could figure out who, so they couldn't kick anyone out. So, I ended up with the last Wii and the lady behind me got a raincheck (she didn't mind because she was buying it for her son for christmas)

About three hours in, we paid a kid to go get us Starbucks.

I thought it was kind of strange that about every third person in line had a DS, but there was only one wireless battle to my knowledge. Who started it? *raises hand*

We're from Jersey, and this giant turd from Texas (surprised he wasn't from New York TBH) got in line with his car. Yeah. We were lined up around the side of the best buy and he parked his car in the line, and sat there in his nice heated Grand Am while we all froze to death. Asshole. He did eventually park the car to stand in line..about a half hour before the store opened. If I were one of the people behind and in front of him I wouldn't have let him back in line :incazzato:

i had to sit on a hard ass chair for 15 hours and had to steal a bunch of wal-mart chicken and drinks cuz i only had ebough money for me and my brothers wiis :(

I walked into the Babbages next door to my work were im familiar with the employees there...he told me on Monday they were getting 9 in for Black Friday. I didnt feel like camping so he said he would sell me 1 they had in the back on hold for Black Friday. So low and behold I had my Wii on lucky break.

Haha I think Mmy's story takes it. Getting called homeless for a system. That's devotion. I kinda feel like I missed out by not actualy standing out for mine.

For 23 hours I sat outside my local Target. First in line all the way. #2 didn't show up until about 4 hours into my eagerness. But in that time a kind woman said "If my son was outside waiting like me, I want him to not be hungry" and she gave me a hotdog and Mt. dew she bought from Target. It was good. A little later two older women asked if I was waiting for the PS3. I said no and then they asked if I was homeless. I laughed and said no to that. About 12:30 Sunday morning there were about of us 20 in line and some people that were waiting in line at Wal-Mart (midnight release) drove by and showed us their Wiis. But I heard that someone got shot at that Wal-Mart because they refused to give up their money to some muggers. When the store was about to open someone showed up and got in line (last place). SOB only had to wait 15 min for the Wii when I waited 23 hours! The people behind me said I was too hardcore for them and let me lead them to the electronics department. I walked and got my Wii. Then got free soda and popcorn from target. It was tasty.

I didn't wait as long as most people nor did I pay anyone. I just did my homework and did a little research. So what I did was check the weather channel and satellite images on which area was going to be coldest that night so people would most likely not camp or wait outside. Then I looked for a place that other stories selling Wii was very closed by so the buying group would be split up. Then finally look for a location with the most unlikely area of people playing video games + didn't make that much money. So after about 15-20 min of research and watching TV :D I found my store and went to it 1 hour before it opened. I was second to last in line and got my Wii. Some of the people in front of the line found out what I did and was very surprise and wish they had of done that too.

That same Saturday night/Sunday morning after I left a party at 2am I drove by a bunch of places like Bestbuy and Target, WOW what a line. Guess all that school teaching about research payed off.

Back