The conspiracy?

I think that they are doing it to increase hipe and make their units more desirable. They could also just be really popular. Whatever it is Nintendo needs to make more an QUICK!!I'm sure there will be allot of people this Christmas without wii's. I could be one of them............ :cryin:

yungblood6 said:
Its funny how when i say that the wii shortage is being done on purpose i get tons of people saying im just a wii hater, and im a dumb ****, and bla bla bla.
I think it's your grammar that leads people to think you're stupid rather than your inane theories.

mgbl3 said:
Just so you people know there ARE financial benefits to holding the supply back...

To go along with that theory, Nintendo would have to increase the price of the Wii for their wholesalers. Since the Wii is $249.99 now, just like it was last Christmas, the hold back to increase demand theory doesn't work. There is no point in holding back supply to increase demand if the seller doesn't make more per item.

Think 1973 Oil Crisis.

Also, because Nintendo sells the Wii as the low cost options, hundreds of dollars cheaper than the XBox 360 and PS3 original prices, it goes against the theory of false shortages in order to sell a product without reducing a price.

And to top things off, Nintendo is making a profit on each and every console, which Sony and Microsoft have never done on the PS3 or 360.

And yes, it's another of Yungblood's anti-Wii posts
Nintendo is purposely holding back supply in order to hype the Wii.
Your proof : none
My Argument : Nintendo has gone from making 1 million Wii's a month, to 1.4, to 1.8 in less than a year's supply. It is selling 2 to 4 times faster than both of the "current" consoles. It is on track to sell more than 100 million units in 5 years (which took the PS2 6 years to reach).
Your Rebuttal : It's a conspiracy, don't pay attention to the media.

mgbl3 said:
Just so you people know there ARE financial benefits to holding the supply back. For instance. Nearly every Christmas there's that one special toy...be it a furby, tickle-me-elmo, etc. It's always a toy that never expected to be big, but over time the supply doesn't keep up with the demand and the hype grows. Then the TV/newspaper will talk about how theres not enough of this toy to go around, and it makes kids want it. Parents hear about it and think it's a great toy their kids would enjoy. The hype grows and grows because of supply is smaller than demand (a good thing) and in the long run it will increase sales. The shortage makes people just want it more.

Think about it. MORE people want the Wii just cause they hear about how impossible it is to find. Nintendo wants the talk about Wii shortage to stick through Christmas. It's essentially advertising the Wii and how great it is for them.

It's smart for Nintendo not to saturate the market with Wii's, but to keep a steady pace that's not too little and too much to keep the demand high. Since when did smart business practice = conspiracy? This is a very common tactic and is used all the time.

See...i could maybe believe it if this weren't true

TiwazTyrsfist said:
So, I've been over this before.

Nintendo is making 1.8 Million units a month now.
To compare, Sony is producing roughly 300,000 PS3's a month.

So why is the Wii hard to find? It's selling 350-400 thousand units A WEEK.
Demand for the Wii is significantly higher than other units.

It just dosn't seem like they're holding back....i could see the reason to do so, get hype up for the holiday season, than increase production up right before, but the production is already up high

The only thing that yungblood got correct in this thread is how all of his topics draw out the fanboyism that is so prolific in this forum. I always try to be as objectionable as possible, but its difficult to comment on this topic without appearing to fall in one of the two corners.

Enough with the rumors of constrained supply of the Wii during this holiday season! Many otherwise rational people believe that Nintendo is purposely causing a shortage of its still highly-demanded home console. Hopefully I can help you understand not just why that's economically preposterous and bad business, but also patently false.

Before we dive into the real reason for the continued shortage of Wii consoles on the open market, let's first entertain the idea that Nintendo is, indeed, scheming to somehow ruin Christmas by holding back on a horde of Wiis that K. Rool would envy (if you don't get that reference already, then you need to travel over to the Virtual Console shop). Nintendo does not stand to make any more money by sitting on a massive inventory of Wii units. Perhaps you think it has done this so as to raise the average price of its system on eBay. This makes no sense, as Nintendo still only receives the portion of the $250 price tag that it was already owed when the console was first sold. If Nintendo were truly savvy in this sense, it would itself put a large number of Wiis up for auction, so that it could reap all of the extra profit that the market is willing to bear.

If you don't think it's doing it to jack up the price, then perhaps you believe this is a controlled shortage meant to build hype. I find this theory highly suspect as well. The Wii has now been on the market for more than a year. Most hardcore gamers planning to acquire the system have found a way to do so, so this only leaves the mainstream crowd. For 99% of the mainstream audience, its value proposition for the Wii is built solely on some awareness of Wii Sports. Add to that the fact that the Wii is now racing tightly with the Xbox 360 for first place in this generation. Had a shortage been created purposely, Nintendo would be using a must-have title– namely Super Mario Galaxy– as the internal catalyst. The situation would be akin to that following the launch of Halo 3 for the Xbox 360, where the legendary hype surrounding the game resulted in a spike in demand for the system. Yet for a controlled shortage to make sense, Nintendo would have to be in a situation where it needed a new flagship title to rally around. It doesn't need any such thing. Wii Sports remains a good enough reason for most consumers to purchase the system if they find one available. An example of where a controlled shortage might work, for instance, would be of the PlayStation 3 near the release of Metal Gear Solid 4. This is because it would help to accentuate just how well the game was received when it launches, and send a message to gamers that they need to get on board. To wager on a dangerous controlled shortage technique like this, Nintendo would need to be struggling with its existing strategy, which it is not.

Hopefully you're now convinced that Nintendo has no reason to create a virtual shortage. But why, you may ask, does supply remain so limited? Why can't it simply make more Wii units more quickly? The answer lies not in any production facility, but within Nintendo's boardroom. Nintendo, as always, remains a cautious operation, like many Japanese companies. Obviously Satoru Iwata and Nintendo's board of directors must be greatly pleased by the Wii's success, yet they all know failure all too well. They experienced disappointment with the Nintendo 64 and even more so with the GameCube. During these trying times, their number one goal was to remain consistently profitable, even with a smaller share of the market. This is why Nintendo has never sold a console at a significant loss, as Sony and Microsoft do, and never will. Unlike its competitors, Nintendo is not diversified in non-gaming industries. It retains the ability to remain profitable above all else in order to cope with the fact that gaming is all it has.

"To increase supply Nintendo would need to invest in a whole new facility, something it is unwilling to do. "
Obviously Nintendo is making money on every Wii sold now, but the company has now bumped against an economic break point, where the marginal cost for each Wii beyond what it is making now increases significantly. Nintendo already has several contracted production facilities working at full capacity manufacturing Wiis. To increase supply, it can't simply pay the workers to stay longer or leave the machines on for more hours of the day, because frankly the facilities are already pushed to their absolute limits. Indeed, to increase supply Nintendo would need to invest in a whole new facility, something it is unwilling to do.

Nintendo will not expand into another production facility until the company is confident that the current level of demand can be carried forward for several years. The initial start-up costs of building a new facility, with all of the necessary equipment, would be enormous. This would hurt the company's profitability in the short term. That is acceptable to most investors if they can be assured that the investment will pay off in time. However, Nintendo has no such assurance regarding the Wii. It's entirely possible that demand tapers off following this holiday season. By the time Nintendo brought a new facility on line, it could no longer be in need of the increased supply and find themselves with a number of facilities operating at 70-80% capacity instead of 100% like now.

This is the same conundrum that faces oil companies when trying to decide whether to drill new wells. Sometimes, oil wells can be very expensive to set up, especially if they are beneath the ocean or particularly rough patches of earth. To be profitable, oil companies need oil prices to stay at a certain level. Would it make sense for oil companies to drill wells right now that require a price per barrel of $100? I think not; there is no assurance that oil prices will remain so high for years to come. On the other hand, does it make sense to drill somewhere where the cost would be $60 per barrel? Probably so, as prices are not likely to dip below that level.

Hence the supply shortage. It is the safer route for Nintendo to simply make as many Wiis as it can with what it already has. This obviously frustrates some Nintendo executives, including American President Reggie Fils-Aime, who sees this excess holiday demand as a "missed opportunity". Perhaps so, but the more calculating minds in Tokyo have this one right: success today is no guarantee of future returns. Just as swiftly as Nintendo was swept back into power, it may again lose its seat to Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo is simply protecting its business from unnecessary risk by not getting overly excited by the Wii's success, and that is something Nintendo fans should be thankful for: the best thing to ensure Nintendo's continued importance in the gaming industry is to make sure that the company remains financially healthy for decades to come. Of course, if that's too hard for the kids to understand this Christmas, there's always eBay.

That is why the Wii shortage is legit, no conspiracy bud.

largedarry said:
The only thing that yungblood got correct in this thread is how all of his topics draw out the fanboyism that is so prolific in this forum.

I predict that if I got to a cow farm, it will have cows. D'uh.

samXcor3 said:
i'd have to say my new favorite thing about yungblood is he never goes back and replies to posts in his threads, especially when people prove him wrong. hell, in one thread i backed him up saying that friend codes are crap and he just accused me of "being up the companys ass" and being a "fanboy"...because i agreed with him...right...
im sorry that i don't sit by my computer of every minute of the day just to reply to you people.

I have already proven my point. and you guys made it like i said into a i hate the wii thread. i was just posting an interesting article that says the same thing i have been saying but coming from more credible people. Then like i always say you turn it into i just hate the wii and think 360 is better when i said no such thing. i didnt call it a conspiricy thats whay you guys call it every time i say its a common buisness practice. thats why its a big question mark in the title.

This also proves my point that you people don't read articles and pay attention to whats being said, like the yo yo that said nintendo doesnt outsource its production, lol did you read the article they do outsource the production thus was another reason they gave to the possiblity of the shortage. Because differnt companies make different parts and one small company can hold the whole process up.

Yea they boosted production, for black friday and then ohhh wait a minute and if i heard correct all the major stores are supposed to get a big shipment in after new years.

But like i said im not going to argue with you idiots any more because you cant take nothing for what it is. i post an article for what it is and you guys come with your bull **** arguments towards me when i wasnt the one that wrote the article.

What i find funny is it wasnt even a wii hating article it was actualy praising nintendo for its tactics and saying that it was a smart buisness move to keep supplies low so it doesnt have over supply.

This was just to prove my point that you guys hang on every word i say and take it for wii hate and you don't read ****. and all you do is come into my posts with your fanboy rants and don't even know what you are talking about. lol when i finnaly got back online i had to clap it up on this one it was real funny.

Thanks to those with intellegent posts as i always enjoy those and your point of views.
PS: ITS ONLY ONE MAYWEATHER. LOL

yungblood6 said:
im sorry that i don't sit by my computer of every minute of the day just to reply to you people.

I have already proven my point. and you guys made it like i said into a i hate the wii thread. i was just posting an interesting article that says the same thing i have been saying but coming from more credible people. Then like i always say you turn it into i just hate the wii and think 360 is better when i said no such thing. i didnt call it a conspiricy thats whay you guys call it every time i say its a common buisness practice. thats why its a big question mark in the title.

This also proves my point that you people don't read articles and pay attention to whats being said, like the yo yo that said nintendo doesnt outsource its production, lol did you read the article they do outsource the production thus was another reason they gave to the possiblity of the shortage. Because differnt companies make different parts and one small company can hold the whole process up.

Yea they boosted production, for black friday and then ohhh wait a minute and if i heard correct all the major stores are supposed to get a big shipment in after new years.

But like i said im not going to argue with you idiots any more because you cant take nothing for what it is. i post an article for what it is and you guys come with your bull **** arguments towards me when i wasnt the one that wrote the article.

What i find funny is it wasnt even a wii hating article it was actualy praising nintendo for its tactics and saying that it was a smart buisness move to keep supplies low so it doesnt have over supply.

This was just to prove my point that you guys hang on every word i say and take it for wii hate and you don't read ****. and all you do is come into my posts with your fanboy rants and don't even know what you are talking about. lol when i finnaly got back online i had to clap it up on this one it was real funny.

Thanks to those with intellegent posts as i always enjoy those and your point of views.

Cant Get A Wii's post is the reason behind the lack of production, and makes way more sense than someone (you) creating a thread called the conspiracy and saying that you never said it was a conspiracy. He posted this a while back, not too many people noticed it then, and i doubt any one will now, although it is still true.

yungblood6 said:
Right. Nice counter! I almost actually believed it!

yungblood6 said:
I have already proven my point. and you guys made it like i said into a i hate the wii thread. i was just posting an interesting article that says the same thing i have been saying but coming from more credible people.

Posting as if you're supreme leader, calling everyone who might post a fanboy, and then posting a link to an article doesn't count as "Just posting an interesting article.

yungblood6 said:
Then like i always say you turn it into i just hate the wii and think 360 is better when i said no such thing.

Well, assumptions are what you get when every other thread of yours bashes the Wii.

yungblood6 said:
i didnt call it a conspiricy thats whay you guys call it every time i say its a common buisness practice. thats why its a big question mark in the title.

But your title is freaking "The Conspiracy?"! Unless some magical gremlin flew from your closet and typed the title in, it was your words.

yungblood6 said:

Maybe no one read the article because this theory has only been suggested and debunked a couple hundred times.

yungblood6 said:

Great! Contradict yourself why don't you!

yungblood6 said:

No, but you are the one throwing it around like it's fact. And you're calling us idiots? I guess the shift key on your keyboard is broken. And you cleverly misspelled 'Conspiracy'.

yungblood6 said:

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Either sarcasm or a failed attempt to make everyone feel bad by playing the victim.

yungblood6 said:

Like I said. 'Playing the victim'.

yungblood6 said:

Wish I could say the same.

yungblood6 said:

There you go. Another hit yungblood thread. -.-
Sorry, I'm irrationally irritable today.

Or it could have something to do with 2:30 A.M.

AtomicB said:
Right. Nice counter! I almost actually believed it!

Posting as if you're supreme leader, calling everyone who might post a fanboy, and then posting a link to an article doesn't count as "Just posting an interesting article.

Well, assumptions are what you get when every other thread of yours bashes the Wii.

But your title is freaking "The Conspiracy?"! Unless some magical gremlin flew from your closet and typed the title in, it was your words.

Maybe no one read the article because this theory has only been suggested and debunked a couple hundred times.

Great! Contradict yourself why don't you!

No, but you are the one throwing it around like it's fact. And you're calling us idiots? I guess the shift key on your keyboard is broken. And you cleverly misspelled 'Conspiracy'.

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Either sarcasm or a failed attempt to make everyone feel bad by playing the victim.

Like I said. 'Playing the victim'.

Wish I could say the same.

There you go. Another hit yungblood thread. -.-
Sorry, I'm irrationally irritable today.

Or it could have something to do with 2:30 A.M.
First of only guilty people get offended by what i say. i named the title so because thats what its called when i say it. if i wasnt talking about you and you didnt feel guilty then why did you comment. i didnt contradict my self i made a reply to some one elses post about the shortage as he said they wouldnt hold out. did i say it was fact i just said im not the only one that believes it. wow i misspelled a word give me an F teacher. or how about you get a degree in english and go get paid to edit.

Second i didnt bash the wii i bashed the games its a big differnce and i also defend nintendo every time i do bash the games i just said they need to make more games because the third parties are not going to make good games like they do. theres articles on that too but don't know if i should post it you might think im bashing the wii

samXcor3 said:
Cant Get A Wii's post is the reason behind the lack of production, and makes way more sense than someone (you) creating a thread called the conspiracy and saying that you never said it was a conspiracy. He posted this a while back, not too many people noticed it then, and i doubt any one will now, although it is still true.
cant get a wii thank you for your post if i would have seen that in your other posts i wouldnt have made this one because its basicly saying the same thing.

Last edited:
I didn't post because I feel guilty, I posted because you're being an idiot. You aren't a victim here, dude. One mis- you know what? Never mind. I'm not going to fuel this fire.

I, personally, believe Nintendo is giving an honest effort to make enough Wii's to meet demand. That's what I believe.
I suppose that it would make some sense to hold back supply, but it seems very unlikely.

Yungblood, watch '12 Angry Men'. It's brilliant.

Back