The death of the English language.

MaxPing

WiiChat Member
Jun 17, 2007
Cumbria U.K
How annoying do you find reading posts where the users cannot be bothered to utilise the full size keyboard in front of them and instead uses mobile phone text?
Spell checkers are freely available on the Internet.
How much time do you save by typing fav instead of favourite?
I use a few forums and this one without doubt has the highest amount of users who type in this manner,is it an American thing?

A good example below.

that gut who uses the mas had his Sig saying vista = virus' but its not if u have any sence u will have a firewall and a virus scanner and if ur not stupid enough to download virus.Axe ul be fine vista and microsft arnt perfect but hey 95% of accersoires are for pc. just about everything works even vista on a mac pc it works !!! and ppl wh use mac's assume every windows user has to reboot his pc every hour ! wrong end of story microsoft windows rules and ha mac's you cant right click nah nah

Bah, I don't understand why people don't correct themselves when they clearly make a mistake (except people with Dix... which I can't even spell myself :sick:). I suppose I just try to be a perfectionist with everything :/.. nevermind, I don't type properly on MSN tbh.. but still.

MaxPing said:
How annoying do you find reading posts where the users cannot be bothered to utilise the full size keyboard in front of them and instead uses mobile phone text?
Relatively annoying at times, actually.
MaxPing said:
Spell checkers are freely available on the Internet.
Quoted for truth.
MaxPing said:
How much time do you save by typing fav instead of favourite?
A few hundred milli-seconds on average I guess.
MaxPing said:
I use a few forums and this one without doubt has the highest amount of users who type in this manner,is it an American thing?
Not really actually, it's more about the age factor of WiiChat members. The average age of a WiiChatter is somewhere in the teens, I'm guessing somewhere around 14-16? And many teenagers have a mobile phone and some of them text message alot; so if you get my drift, you can see why some are posting like that.

Note: I'm not saying all teenagers are like this, but quite a few are.

Last edited:
Riviet nice post,i will hold my hand up here and admit the quote i used in the original post was from a U.K forum , i thought it demonstrated the my point well.
The problem with young people getting into the habit of text typing is they will never learn how to spell properly, i am not trying to be smug here my spelling is crap and i use IESpell to correct my mistakes,since using my PC my spelling has improved and over the years IESpell seems to correct less and less.
I would rather see someone typing the full word even if they got the spelling wrong than typing FAV.

Last edited:
Wiired said:
Bah, I don't understand why people don't correct themselves when they clearly make a mistake (except people with Dix... which I can't even spell myself :sick:).

I only know one person who has dyslexia, i think a lot of people use it as an excuse,i cannot remember anyone at school having dyslexia, now if people cannot be bothered to learn they can just say i have dyslexia, its a cop-out.

Yeah, it can get quite annoying after a while, simply because you put all your effort into decoding the message itself. :lol:
I try my best to communicate with others in a clear and understandable way because thats when they can reply to me (hopefully) in the same way.
But like Wiired said, I don't think about this when I am using MSN. It just makes it much faster.

I am not even going to get started ranting on this subject. Short answer: Yes, it is getting worse. Yes, it seems worse on this board when compared to the other boards I frequent.

who cares honestly why should it matter? are we being graded on our posts, no. i dont even do my grammar for my papers thats what editors are for...

yea y cnt ppl just use propa english language it gets annoying wen ppl type lyk all txt speek

oh
i thought this thread was going to be about the increasing number of illegal mexican immigrants crossing the border into the US. causing half of our products to now be in English and in Spanish, and if so many take over that if america would become a 50/50 language country

boy was i wrong.

Back