The "Good" Life

To me, a "successful" life means you enjoy it, simple as. If you can honestly say you're content with life, then you shouldn't worry too much about what other people think.

To me, a "successful" life means you enjoy it, simple as. If you can honestly say you're content with life, then you shouldn't worry too much about what other people think.

If a hermit, then yes, perhaps.

As soon as a person tries to live in collection with other people, I think it's their duty to be more educated about life. At least if they're trying to live in America, or another such country.

For example, I'd much rather trust someone University educated to vote over high school dropouts.

...It took me a really long time to vaguely remember making this thread. Why the bump?

can be allsummed up with

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia: dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

people inform others on what they should do according to their own sucesses and failures.

Woahhh major bump.
Ahah, university.

I guess everyone has their own definition of 'success' and having 'the good life'. I'd consider myself successful if I could live off my photography work. Other people would hate having a job with no stable, regular income.. even if they did sell a lot of their work. It's down to the person at the end of the day, and how they're happy living their life.

Yah, my other post I don't know how long a go I said I was going to University, how things change. So I dropped out of college (but I did get my A Levels) and now I work at Burger King. I aint to worried about things like being succesfull and rich and whatnot, because it's one step at a time. Through working there I'm saving up my money.. moving out soon and learning to drive, then I'll be able to put a lot more effort into my photography, and see how things go from there. I know I'm not going to be stuck there all my life so for now I'm just having fun.
Besdies, plenty of highschool dropouts turned out pretty good. A lot of photographers too.. Ansel Adams being one of the finest. My two best damn example of a dropout turning succesfull, Roman Abramovich (although he later completed a degree), and Julie Andrews.

Last edited:
EDIT: LOL oh wow, didn't know this was bumped from forever ago :p

The formula discussed earlier (school, study, good grades, college, marriage, kids, white picket fence, retire in Florida) is the typical, socially promoted, path of lease resistance to "success." Putting aside my personal opinion for the time being, I'll confidently say the formula is absolutely not infallible, and it's often not realistic.
For a lot of people I know, this is reality:
a) school, study, good grades, student loans, college, dropping out of college temporarily to work full time to make a dent in immeasurable debt, not being financially capable of returning to school, working two part time jobs miserably
b) school, study, good grades, applying for student loans, getting denied for student loans because their parents exceeded the income bracket to be eligible for loans, but the loan office didn't take into account that the family had four other children to support, working two part time jobs miserably

This isn't the only way to be successful. Here in Canada, college and university are two vastly different things. College is looked down upon. It's all hands-on, more technical, and offered to people who didn't have the marks required to get into a university. You know what's funny though? If you go to college, you're five times more likely to acquire a job in whatever you majored in. Seriously, how many of the kids who major in philosophy or political science end up doing ANYTHING in relation to either of those areas of study? What fields currently desperately need workers? Oh that's right, the trades. Plumbing, electricity, mechanics...everything taught in college. They try to direct us so incorrectly in high school here. They tell us the smart kids who are going to be successful are required to go to university to get anywhere. It's not necessarily true. At my last job, at a charity agency, the CEO who merely had a college diploma in social work, was making as much as a University professor.

Why do people assume everyone WANTS a high paying 9-5 job? Money isn't the only thing that drives us. All success should mean is personal contentment. You don't have to look good on "paper", or be impressive to other people, whether it's your parents or friends or...anyone. Being happy with yourself is all that should really matter.

If I get what I want out of life professionally, I'll be working (sometimes) 19 hour days at a high five figure government salary. An income I could quadruple by being a lawyer, working four hour days. I don't care about the money. I have a passion. I'll do whatever it takes to get there, no matter how unrealistic anyone says it is.

For people who think money is everything, and that it provides endless happiness...you're so superficial I could slap you. You don't have any perspective on what actual happiness is unless you've experienced actual despair. And believe me, actual happiness doesn't resolve around a video game room and a big TV.

This post is eccentric and disjointed. I'm done.

EDIT: LOL oh wow, didn't know this was bumped from forever ago :p

The formula discussed earlier (school, study, good grades, college, marriage, kids, white picket fence, retire in Florida) is the typical, socially promoted, path of lease resistance to "success." Putting aside my personal opinion for the time being, I'll confidently say the formula is absolutely not infallible, and it's often not realistic.
For a lot of people I know, this is reality:
a) school, study, good grades, student loans, college, dropping out of college temporarily to work full time to make a dent in immeasurable debt, not being financially capable of returning to school, working two part time jobs miserably
b) school, study, good grades, applying for student loans, getting denied for student loans because their parents exceeded the income bracket to be eligible for loans, but the loan office didn't take into account that the family had four other children to support, working two part time jobs miserably

This isn't the only way to be successful. Here in Canada, college and university are two vastly different things. College is looked down upon. It's all hands-on, more technical, and offered to people who didn't have the marks required to get into a university. You know what's funny though? If you go to college, you're five times more likely to acquire a job in whatever you majored in. Seriously, how many of the kids who major in philosophy or political science end up doing ANYTHING in relation to either of those areas of study? What fields currently desperately need workers? Oh that's right, the trades. Plumbing, electricity, mechanics...everything taught in college. They try to direct us so incorrectly in high school here. They tell us the smart kids who are going to be successful are required to go to university to get anywhere. It's not necessarily true. At my last job, at a charity agency, the CEO who merely had a college diploma in social work, was making as much as a University professor.

Why do people assume everyone WANTS a high paying 9-5 job? Money isn't the only thing that drives us. All success should mean is personal contentment. You don't have to look good on "paper", or be impressive to other people, whether it's your parents or friends or...anyone. Being happy with yourself is all that should really matter.

If I get what I want out of life professionally, I'll be working (sometimes) 19 hour days at a high five figure government salary. An income I could quadruple by being a lawyer, working four hour days. I don't care about the money. I have a passion. I'll do whatever it takes to get there, no matter how unrealistic anyone says it is.

For people who think money is everything, and that it provides endless happiness...you're so superficial I could slap you. You don't have any perspective on what actual happiness is unless you've experienced actual despair. And believe me, actual happiness doesn't resolve around a video game room and a big TV.

What?? You're done? That was a GREAT response! Especially the last time. Success is what you make it to be. In most, if not all cases, success can only come about through failure. Actual happiness doesn't mean "having fun every moment of your life". And one must know despair before they know what true happiness is.

holy crap, you guys are right.
this is why the other forum i help run locks threads and archives them once they hit a certain age and are not being used. but then again, its a support group forum.

Wait a minute--was I the one who bumped this thread? WOW. I was looking for that other thread Levesque made about "questions when it comes to exercise" but instead I ran into this one :yikes::yikes::crazy::yikes::yikes: lol

Well I didn't realize how old it was, sorry about that, though we did get a discussion going that's always good. Plus it's an interesting topic, I suppose.

Heh...

That was a really good read, Celeste.

I'm guilty of a lot of this stuff. I've joined plenty of stupid clubs this year that I only participate in minimally just so that I can write them on college applications. I would also be ecstatic to have a boring, but decently payed 9-5 job. The way I've been raised I'm programmed to always want to be ahead, whether it be actual intellectual or physical prowess or a superficial prowess that looks good to higher-ups. It sounds sad, but happiness doesn't get you ahead by any measurable scale.

Wait a minute--was I the one who bumped this thread? WOW. I was looking for that other thread Levesque made about "questions when it comes to exercise" but instead I ran into this one :yikes::yikes::crazy::yikes::yikes: lol

Well I didn't realize how old it was, sorry about that, though we did get a discussion going that's always good. Plus it's an interesting topic, I suppose.

Heh...
You could bump that one too if you want ;) I wouldn't mind.

You must admit, you can speak this way from your experience, which a lot of people will gladly ignore since you're there in the first place.

Money not giving happiness is one of those weird things everyone needs to find out for themselves before they'll believe you, like licking your elbow.

I love this thread very much and the two quotes at the beginning.

They perfectly describe as to how I look at life in the term of "success".

I'm a high school senior about to graduate and yet I'm still stuck in to what I want to do. I want to do something that I love such as computers. I've already gotten my A+ and this year I will be getting my security and network plus.

Though my family doesn't think it's the "best" option to go because they believe that I can find something better that will pay more. Though I've never looked at it in a way to actually be "rich", but to have a job that I love attending.

I don't think it's ever been about money and I thank you Levesque for creating this thread.

Glad to see it was bumped after a while too. lol.

You must admit, you can speak this way from your experience, which a lot of people will gladly ignore since you're there in the first place.
I mustn't admit it, because it's untrue.

I view money as a means of security, to keep the family well and safe.

However I believe education is extremely important, and will take any step to guarantee a successful and educated lifestyle. I'd sacrifice a simple and laid-back life for knowledge. Though some might not.

Back