The "Good" Life

Money sure as hell comes in handy, but in the long run, I'm going to do what makes me happy, and that's not just whatever brings in a six-figure paycheck.

I'd love to see what everyones ideas of 'the good life' and being successfull is. One or two of you have mentioned it, would love to read more though. Like how many of you actually want the 9-5 job with the white picket fence and all that crap?

I mustn't admit it, because it's untrue.

You wouldn't say that perhaps you've had a bit more disposable income than the average teenager?

I'd love to see what everyones ideas of 'the good life' and being successfull is. One or two of you have mentioned it, would love to read more though. Like how many of you actually want the 9-5 job with the white picket fence and all that crap?

I'd rather have like a 12-3 job that pays the same as a 9-5. Money isn't the issue.

I've already said that I'd be a professional student if it existed, I just like to learn new things. If I can apply that learning into something that I enjoy doing AND makes lots of money, then why not?

Just as long as the people who think doing nothing is a good life aren't on welfare, they can be.

Last edited:
I cannot think that there are some of you who would sacrifice a good paying job for your passion. Passion in my eyes should be family. Seeing them happy would be the best thing in my mind, so obviously, there's going to be some money involved. That's coming from someone who grew up in a low income household. Yes, I would like more money, it would definitely make me happier. I just won't let my life revolve around it.

You should always involve your passion in your life though, I'm not telling you to eradicate it at all. I don't know what I'd do with a monotonous office job not being able to come home and play some video games or draw. But it's very rare you'll get a job out of it...

Grades don't mean anything to me, because unfortunately, I'm in the creativity field. I would love to become a comic artist or anything like that, but I know that this isn't happening. My family is always disappointed in me when I get low grades for art, low being a B, and they won't see it being marked by personal taste. This really annoys me, but I won't bother you much more. Anything academic is all due to how much material you can remember, quite sad.

My ideal would actually just be living in a city, so that my kids have the opportunity to do anything. Having stayed in the country on various boring family outings, I don't know how people could deal with it. I don't know how anyone could possibly prefer it. Success is... family? Eh.

sitting around, getting money, and smoking pot is a good life, you dont hear those people complaining, but youll hear a 9-5 job person complaining about how hard they work and get little pay. get a group of friends, work easy jobs, pay for rent and smoke weed. ;) the good life.

Aye.

Also, this is one of the larger bumps I've seen on Wiichat.

Last edited:
Either I'm very different than all of you, or you're taking this to an extreme.

We all hear about the guy that has money but nothing else in his life, and from that we conclude that money doesn't bring happiness. However, if you already have a good life and then you add wealth to it, you'd have to be stupid to not think that it would make you happier.

I would take a well-paying, very boring job over a job that I loved to go to every day but payed poorly any day. Being financially secure brings me a lot of happiness. I would feel guilty if I sacrificed a high-paying job for a job that I loved and then came home and could barely pay the bills.

Either I'm very different than all of you, or you're taking this to an extreme.

We all hear about the guy that has money but nothing else in his life, and from that we conclude that money doesn't bring happiness. However, if you already have a good life and then you add wealth to it, you'd have to be stupid to not think that it would make you happier.

I would take a well-paying, very boring job over a job that I loved to go to every day but payed poorly any day. Being financially secure brings me a lot of happiness. I would feel guilty if I sacrificed a high-paying job for a job that I loved and then came home and could barely pay the bills.
Absolutely, there's no doubt that money perpetuates happiness. It just doesn't create its own.

I can agree. Everyone needs financial stability. I wouldn't take a job I'd love if it'd mean I was barely over the poverty level. But if I could get an entry level position as a junior political consultant, working 19 hour days making 45k, I'd take that over estate law working 4 hour days making 450k. Passion is more important than money.

I'm the girl that gave away opportunities to make money because whatever I had to do for it made me miserable. My personal contentment is worth so much more. I don't know. I like to think I have a little bit of perspective on money.

You wouldn't say that perhaps you've had a bit more disposable income than the average teenager?

You honestly know nothing about her, so dont pass judgment on her financial situation.

As for me the 'good life' would consist of this. My job would be lead GFX designer for some fashion magazine. I would mostly be home working on stuff, going in once in a while to brainstorm and check in on my other designers.
Money to me is big, I was raised with my father (stock broker) instilling in my head in the in's and out's of money. I could tell you everything about a Mutual Fund at the age of 10. So i do press a lot about money.
But as long as I the money to support my family and they are happy, then I will be happy. I dont need the finer things in life to make me happy. I rather wear rags and have my wife and children in the finest. Thats just me.
As for living, I would definitely want a house. Im greedy in the point of what i live in. I thinks its cuz ive lived in an apartment basically all but 2 years of my life. A persons personality IMO changes on where they are living, from free to confined.
As for school, well it was never my cup of tea. Although my college years were great, sad it had to be cut off cuz of money issues. But the only time i would see myself going back to school, would be to learn new software and what not.

It's okay.

People should NEVER have to drop out of post-secondary education because they can't afford to pay for it. I hate society. It claims to want everyone to better themselves and achieve some kind of ultimate dream, but leaves them drowning in debt, unable to achieve anything close to their goals.

Last edited:
Absolutely, there's no doubt that money perpetuates happiness. It just doesn't create its own.

I can agree. Everyone needs financial stability. I wouldn't take a job I'd love if it'd mean I was barely over the poverty level. But if I could get an entry level position as a junior political consultant, working 19 hour days making 45k, I'd take that over estate law working 4 hour days making 450k. Passion is more important than money.

I'm the girl that gave away opportunities to make money because whatever I had to do for it made me miserable. My personal contentment is worth so much more. I don't know. I like to think I have a little bit of perspective on money.

I like this, permission to put in sig?

Lucky bastards who have a passion for law.

You honestly know nothing about her, so dont pass judgment on her financial situation.
Wasn't judging it. Just saying that there are people who will ignore advice given because they think they know better.

As for school, well it was never my cup of tea. Although my college years were great, sad it had to be cut off cuz of money issues. But the only time i would see myself going back to school, would be to learn new software and what not.

What's wrong with going back part-time?

It's okay.

People should NEVER have to drop out of post-secondary education because they can't afford to pay for it. I hate society. It claims to want everyone to better themselves and achieve some kind of ultimate dream, but leaves them drowning in debt, unable to achieve anything close to their goals.

I'm hoping I won't have to.
I just remind myself that there are out of state students paying twice as much as me.

Last edited:
What's wrong with going back part-time?
It's a bit hard to fathom taking out a new student loan when you're still making payments on two previous ones. More often than not, it's the education system failing students...not the other way around.

While money can not buy happiness, there is no doubt that having no money can bring sadness.

That being said I wouldn't really need a crapload of money to be happy. It would just be nice, but I really wouldn't spend it on all that much, and probably pass on as much of it as I could(like if I won the lottery or something)

I see it this way. A harder life doesn't necessarilly mean a bad life.

I'm often broke. Struggle through college. Got a crap job. And bad luck... but I love life and live it to the fullest. Even if I don't come out of college with my dream carrer as a game designer I have other options and I'll be fine no matter what. I'm an optimistic kind of guy who sees the glass half-full. Life is still good.

Back