The Many Holidays of Every Day

Reserve for March 1st.

Holiday thread is finally back in commission. March 2nd coming soon, and December 26th to follow.

March 2nd

After moar than two months of being a lazy prick, I can type this once more: today, we've got an average four holidays, and one birthday.

Dress in Blue Day
Employee Appreciation Day
Texas' Independence Day
NEA's Read Across America Day
Theodor Geisel's Birthday

Dress in Blue Day isn't as shallow of a holiday as it sounds. Colon Cancer Awareness Month in 2012 is March, and on this particular day you're to do a bit more than just spread awareness. All "common" cancers tend to be associated with a certain color; you probably already know breast cancer is associated with pink; colon cancer has the color blue. Therefore, today is dress in blue day. Whether you like the color blue or want to spread awareness for one of the many cancers, today's the day to do it.

Employee Appreciation Day is a day bosses are supposed to promote, but just as most people don't celebrate Employer Appreciation Day, few higher-ups give a flying **** 'bout this day. And if they do celebrate the day, they're plenty cheap about it. You'd think that this is the day you get a surprise raise, but... no, definitely not. Presidential candidate who promises to make this an official holiday, and have solid raise is the MINIMUM reward for the long-time employed, gets my vote.

Texas' Independence Day celebrates what you probably have no idea about. Yes, Texas has an independence day. Before Texas was a state in the US, it was a part of Mexico. But after many Americans moved in, enticed by many promises from the Mexican government such as exemption from taxes, such things were removed once the population was heavily made of Americans. Many other factors made Texians unhappy, like the capital of the territory they were apart of being incredibly far away (humongous Texas wasn't it's own territory back then), and rights 'n laws of American origin that the Mexican government didn't care for (freedom of religion, legal slavery [god damnit post-rights 'Merica...]). So eventually, the Texas Revolution erupted. In the end, Texas became it's own territory after earning it's independence from Mexico in 1836. Though, because the Mexican government was corrupted and full of dickery, they used underhanded tactics to avoid honoring the treaty stating Texas as independent, so their independence wasn't honored for quite a few years. The result was naval and coastal battles continuing to rage on for an entire blood-soaked decade. The Alamo Tech episode of Wild West Tech was pretty beast, so this holiday gets my pick of the day.

[STRIKE]Yeah, I totally just gave a pick of the day because of a TV show.[/STRIKE]

NEA's (National Education Association) [/B]Read Across America Day[/B] is the day countless schools, well... promote read. More than enough reading is done in schools enough as is, but the date does have some relevance. That particular relevance is...

Theodor Seuss Geisel's Birthday, born in 1904. You may of heard of this writer, poet, and cartoonist's name once before. More importantly, he's better known as "Dr. Seuss" himself. Dr. Seuss being one of the most wildly known children's book characters and authors, you'd be surprised how he thought up the name. Back in the days of prohibition, he was caught drinking by the Dean of his college. He was told to quit his job under his college's humor magazine the Dartmouth Jack-O-Lantern; so he coined the pen name Dr. Seuss so none of the higher ups realized he was still writing. :lol: Quite a bit of his career was working for someone rather than the books he's so famous for (such as drawing advertisements and comic strips), and his most well-known works weren't until around the 50's and later. Miraculously, unlike most famous writers, he actually lived past the age of 60; throat cancer took 'em come 1991. No wonder his books were thrown at me come 1st grade...

IMO, it would of been better if the Lonestar State stayed with Mexico. That would of been one less pro-slavery state in the Civil War. Ah well...

HOLIDAY THREAD IS BACK IN BUSINESS YEEEEAAAAHHHHHH
Gif156.gif
Gif156.gif
Gif156.gif
Gif156.gif
Gif156.gif
Gif156.gif

I think CK just beat my record for most posts in a row on this forum.

D:

....but, glad to see this thread back!

IMO, it would of been better if the Lonestar State stayed with Mexico. That would of been one less pro-slavery state in the Civil War. Ah well...

But then American westerns wouldn't be the same without the Texas influence. And I believe the correct term is Texans, not texians. There's also the fact that slavery was just a secondary cause of the Civil war, but that's for another time.

You missed something today..

It's in the sports world, so I doubt you care about it.

Today is the 50th anniversary of Wilt Chamberlain's 100pt game.

Post of the day coming soon, as well as two retro-posts, being December 26th and December 27th.

I think CK just beat my record for most posts in a row on this forum.

D:

loooooooool

And I believe the correct term is Texans, not texians.

Texans used to be called Texians before Texas became a separated republic. Wasn't 'till the mid-nineteenth century that the demonym Texan gained more popularity. Since this was a time period prior to 1850, I decided to use Texian.

It's in the sports world, so I doubt you care about it.

Bingo. :lol:

July 15th marks the best day of the year besides Christmas, Halloween, February 9th, and my birthday.

March 3rd

Right off the bat, I'm back in typing business today with a large seven holidays and one birthday.

National Anthem Day (US)
What If Cats And Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day
Admission Day (Florida)
Hinamatsuri
Liberation Day (Bulgaria)
Martyrs Day (Malawi)
World Book Day
Alexander Graham Bell's Birthday

National Anthem Day celebrates the day that congress approved the Star Spangled Banner as the US' anthem, back in 1931. Really ain't that a bad song; too bad however, that it's been ****ing butchered over the years for the most part.

What If Cats And Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day; a WTF holiday that certainly inspires a few wtf thoughts. First of all, why in god's name is this a holiday? Secondly, who gives a flying **** if they had opposable thumbs? Ain't like cats or dogs would be smart enough to make use of said thumbs unless trained to do so, aside from the few pets that do exceed their normal intellectual capabilities. Such a pointless holiday can gtfo.

Florida's Admission Day celebrates the day the Sunshine State became the 27th state, back in 1845. Not much to celebrate about, considering the white man encroaching upon the Seminoles' lands caused three wholesome, bloody wars, one of which occurred AFTER the US obtained Florida, among other terrible things. All just to steal a single state that Spain already owned. Great job, 'Merica.

Hinamatsuri, or "Doll Festival", is a Japanese tradition with origins dating back to the Heian period (794-1185). Back in the day, superstition believed that dolls had the ability to contain evil spirits. To send away said evil spirits, people would craft dolls and boats, then send 'em down river; namely on rivers leading to the sea. This practice eventually faded away, since the boats would continuously get snagged on fishermen's nets. So instead, they do some sort of crazy doll display **** elaborating on what a bunch of greedy assholes the emperors/empress were. Not that you'd expect otherwise from people claiming to be human-gods.

Bulgaria's Liberation Day celebrates the day Bulgaria returned to self-government for the first time in hundreds of years, thanks to the Treaty of San Stefano; a product of the Russo-Turkish War.

Malawi's Martyrs Day commemorates and celebrates Malawi's revolt against British colonial rule back in the 1950's. We've certainly been here before with all sorts of independence and revolution days...

World Book Day is the day after Read Across America Day.

... ... ...

ARE YOU ****IN' KIDDIN' ME AMERICA?!

World Book Day is NEA's RAAD, but better because it isn't a rip-off holiday with the intent that a country gets an undeserved ego trip.

Alexander Graham Bell. Odds are you've heard the name, even if you have no idea where. Bell was a 19th century scientist and inventor, most widely known for making the first practical telephone, as well as being a founding member of the National Geographic Society. Since his Mother ended up going deaf when he was young, it's no wonder he got into the science of acoustics and ended up making said telephone. He's also plenty famous for some other ground-breaking inventions, like the first metal detector, hydrofoils, and his multiple contributions to aeronautics.

... Today's holidays suck. ¬_¬

^ A reference I'm not getting...

December 26th and 27th are now up. The latter of which is definitely the worst post of the thread; you'll see why. :lol:

Back