The Many Holidays of Every Day

March 6th

Today, we've got a good six holiday, and two birthdays.

Frozen Food Day
White Chocolate Cheesecake Day
Cheesefare Sunday
Namesake Day
Fall of the Alamo
Independence Day (Ghana)
Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Birthday
Michelangelo's Birthday

Frozen Food Day is not for the sake of promoting convenience over taste in frozen TV dinners, oh no. First of all, it celebrates foods that are meant to be frozen; y'know, ice cream and such. None of us should have a problem celebrating that half of the holiday. :lol: The other point of the holiday is to celebrate the invention of frozen food itself, the refrigerator/freezer, etc. Considering that frozen food has been sold in grocery stores for roughly eighty years now, I'd say such a modern convenience deserves a holiday. Lastly, preserving large portions of certain meats for special occasions, or simply buying en masse isn't plausible without the freezer. Frozen food is awesome, no matter how much I hate TV dinners. 'Nuff said.

White Chocolate Cheesecake Day is awfully... specific. If you read yesterday's retro articles, you damn-well know my stand on this. GTFO!

As delectable as a quality cheesecake is...

Cheesefare Sunday is, unexpectedly, a religious holiday... Kind of. A few weeks before Easter (the day Jeebus Christo is given a phoenix down every year), Christians are supposed to abstain from certain types of food. Dairy is one of them; so the day before the Great Lent's fasting begins, everyone pigs the **** out of delicious dairy products like cheesecake. Though, that's sort of an example of gluttony... ... ...

Namesake Day is the day to get in touch with relatives that aren't exactly relatives by blood, or even marriage; quite a few surnames are used by two separate families that have very little, if anything, to do with each other. For example, I know for a fact that there's a family in Poland that shares my surname. If I'm related to 'em, it sure as **** goes back a few hundred years (if not more) on the family tree. Can't say I'm 'bout to celebrate this day, but... feel free to yourselves. At the least, go use google and see if you've got some "relatives" you and your family have no idea about.

Fall of the Alamo honors the day the Battle of the Alamo came to an end, easily the most remembered battle and siege in the Texas Revolution, a day where no quarter was given to a single man. After a thirteen day siege, the mission-turned-fortress was assaulted by the Mexican army's troops-more than 3000 men strong. Easily more than ten times the size of the Texians holed up in the Alamo, it was a battle of numbers. Pretty obvious who was gonna win.

The assault raged on in the early dark of the morning, the first two waves of Mexicans amazingly driven back to regroup. Eventually on the third attack however, some of the Mexicans made their way in by scaling the walls and were able to find and open a postern on the northern wall, allowing the army to storm right in. Once they gained direct entry, it was only a matter of time. The chaos caused by the in-pouring Mexicans forced Texian troops to redirect their fire and men, thinning defenses at the other walls. This allowed even more of the enemy to climb the undefended walls without getting shot down. The Mexicans' numbers alone allowed them to flank as such, and once they gained ground, they continued to steal more. Texians were forced into close-quarters combat, and at that point it turned into a massacre. The Mexicans may of suffered up to two thirds of their forces; 2000; winning the final assault. But those who defended the Alamo to the death sure as **** died with honor, and took many of the enemy with 'em. In memory of such bravery (the troops who were originally stationed were about 100, against the Mexican army's original 1,500; they all knew they were going to die fighting), this gets my holiday pick of the day.

Ghana's Independence Day celebrates the day it had gained independence from British colonial rule after 83 long years, in 1957. Ghana was the country who started it all really, what with it being the first African country to declare independence.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning was a well-known poet of the Victorian era (1837-1901). She was certainly a child of potential, given that she was reading novels by the age of six (children these days still can't manage that...), and by the age of 15 she already had ideals, said ideals being in regards to some of the earliest feminist philosophies in history. Even more prodigious for the time is that she was entirely against slavery; even though her Father had a stake in the business; and her views on slavery are... pretty obviously reflected in some of her poetry. Not only was her poetical talent thoroughly abundant, but she was played part in philosophy, ideals, and even politics late in life. Even with a highly prestigious up-bringing, her accomplishments are note worthy to say the least.

Oh, and here's a fun fact for all you Yu-Gi-Oh players: one of her friends had the name G.B. Hunter. lmfao.gif

Michelangelo [STRIKE]di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni[/STRIKE] Long-Name is; hell, you all know who he is. The famous painter, architect, sculptor, poet, and engineer of Renaissance Italy. The name alongside Leonardo da Vinci that pops into everyone's head when you mention the Renaissance. Everyone's heard of his work on the Sistine Chapel ceiling and the like. It'd be a disservice to ramble on 'bout 'em; he's legendary enough that I need say no more, I'd say.

Note: the film John Wayne made (cleverly titled "The Alamo") is not historically accurate, but it certainly is a good watch.
Michaelangelo later used as a ninja turtle

March 7th

Today, we've got a somewhat small four holidays.

Cereal Day
Crown Roast Of Pork Day
Be Heard Day
World Maths Day

Cereal Day celebrates the breakfast food we all know, and should love. Whether because it's healthy without bein' nasty, or it's [STRIKE]loaded with sugar[/STRIKE] tasty, it's almost impossible to not find a cereal ya like. Cereal's somewhat modern sort of food, the first cereal invented back in 1863. It was a bran cereal that was considerably heavy, and as a result, it'd be too hard to eat unless soaked overnight... Yeah. A tad inconvenient, so it never came on. But come 1879, George H. Hoyt made the cereal Whetena; the first boxed cereal ever. Most people would buy cereal scooped from barrels by the pound. Having a portable box of cereal at the ready is plenty more convenient than buying from a store, so cereal quickly began to caught on, and the rest is history. As both representing the evolution of marketing and the evolution of food, this gets my holiday pick of the day.

Crown Roast Of Pork Day celebrates this utterly delicious dish. Those who're clueless about what it is might think it looks like the insides of an animal ripped straight out, sure, but it's much simpler than that: it's just pork ribs tied into a circle. Any man NEEDS to know how ****in' delicious ribs are (right up there with sushi for my own preferences), and crown roast of pork makes ribs even better. The "crown" shape achieved by tying the ribs together isn't just for looks, since this let's it hold a number of difference foods to add flavor as it cooks, most popularly stuffing. In short, ribs + gourmet additions = DELICIOUS! ... I crave ribs now. ;_;

You might think Be Heard Day is a day for people to speak up 'bout **** they're keeping quiet or somethin', but that's quite the opposite. Today's the day for... small businesses to get attention. Yep. Everyone knows how the largest businesses like Wal-mart overshadow smaller businesses wherever they crop up since they can afford lower prices; or at least, until the smaller places are put out of business, anywho. This day is represented all year 'round though, with the recent invention of "cash mobs". The one thing I respect Facebook and Twitter for. Might as well turn this into Cash Mob Day, since they're accomplish waaaaay more for small businesses than what this holiday does. :lol:

World Maths Day celebrates that one incredibly boring thing I bloody hate by having a Math competition on the internets. Oh, joy. I think I'll pass this time, but maybe next year.

My sources are being ****in' stupid lately... How a triple check on my three biggest sources can provide me an incorrect holiday is beyond me. ._.

So, who's got a favorite cereal? Can't say I do, but I'm definitely a Kellogg's fan. For whatever reason, I really like corn flakes...

December 30th is finally up. And by finally, I mean roughly six hours late. **** YOU PC! >=/

Oh, yes you did.

Didn't mean it literally. ¬_¬

learn to edit the quotes

Second.jpg

March 8th

Today, we've got a great eight holiday.

Pancake Day
Peanut Cluster Day
International Women's Rights Day
World Kidney Day
Agriculture Day
Proof Reading Day
Girls Write Now Day
Organize Your Home Office Day

Let's face it, pancakes are full of win and epicly delicious (Kira would agree with me). This ain't no Bacon Day, but celebrate Pancake Day regardless. Your tastebuds will thank you. Hell, have some bacon WITH your pancakes! Now, there's a reason why pancakes are so popular. Believe it or not, a sort of very basic pancake used to be made and consumed by prehistoric civilizations via a large heated slab of stone or clay; that's right, pancakes were born before Jeebus. You know that means they're awesome, and no ****in' wonder they're still a beloved foodstuff to this day. So whether you like 'em with syrup, chocolate, bacon, jam, WHATEVER, they're delicious and deserve this holiday in the fullest. PICK OF THE DAY! :D

Peanut Cluster Day celebrates those delicious peanut-chocolate confections that're REALLY ****in' good; those with nut allergies have my sympathy. The peanut cluster become quite the popular sweet 'n salty treat 'round 1912, mainly thanks to the GooGoo candy company. Most peanut clusters these days are nothing more than chocolate and peanuts. But these guys started off their peanut cluster business with caramel, marshmallow, chocolate, and obviously peanuts all in one. I've never had one with marshmallow before... I want one. ;_;

International Women's Rights Day is the day to spread word 'bout gender inequality, and contemplate ways to fight it. Since it's first acknowledgement 101 years ago in 1911 (ohai Red Dead Redemption), quite a bit of progress has been made; or at least, in modern first world countries. Rural lands and territories where freedom is still just a dream exist en masse, and likewise women's rights are still piss poor in some places. Logically, as the UN tends to do for worldwide holidays like this, the theme of this year's IWD is the rights of third world women. Last year, there were a few UN-made holidays directed towards rural people in general, actually. They've certainly got the right idea.

... 'Course, the damned feminists have to go and ruin the day for everyone. blehhhhh

World Kidney Day is a day of awareness 'bout kidney disease, failure, etc. Sure, "you can live with just one" as everyone says without concern. If one kidney goes while you have both, your second one may soon follow on the way for ****'s sake. Kidney failure, while not fatal the first time, is still serious. And the variety of other in-born or acquired kidney diseases n' such are as well. While I'd also love to talk 'bout kidneys as food, that's... not part of WKD's agenda. :lol:

Agriculture Day is an awareness day of... well, yeah. In a day where a ridiculously high percentage of people in first world countries aren't growing any of their primary food (if not any at all), people tend to forget where their store supplies come from, and how it gets there. Obviously modern agriculture is required for the modern world to function as it does, so today is more important than it sounds... Although, I'm still annoyed with the USDA for ****ing with the food pyramid. They increase daily grain consumption, but not protein... blehhhhhhh. Whores.

Proof Reading Day is the day to proof read EVERYTHING you write; fat ****ing chance. I normally don't double check my typing or writing, and I can't say I'll care to either. If you don't do it anyways, why the hell do it for a day? GTFO!

Girls Write Now Day is the day for the youngin' females to... write? ... ... ... What? Oh, right. GWN is actually an organization that decided to make themselves a self-promoting holiday. GTFO!

Organize Your Home Office Day is the day to clean your home office... Once a year... ... ... Yeah, no. Not only is it directed at only HOME offices, but once a year? There're a lot of GTFO!-worthy holidays today. So yeah, GTFO!

oh my godddddd my sources are being ****ing stupid lately

So, what're y'alls favorite toppings/filling for pancakes? I'm perfectly happy, and pretty much prefer, plain pancakes with either light amber honey or light amber maple syrup (not the ****in' imitation garbage you get in supermarkets blehhhhhh).

Last edited:
... ... ... ARE YOU ****IN' KIDDIN' ME?!

There Nick goes again, not enjoying the win of something delicious (bacon) just because everyone loves it. ¬_¬

[STRIKE]Neosquid is a lieing whore[/STRIKE]

Alright, that's a legitimate answer. While I prefer pancakes, waffles are awesome as well.

Celebrate pancake day anyways. ¬_¬ Ain't like waffles and pancakes are sworn enemies. Indulge in both delicious breakfast foods! =D

What, and waffles are absolutely delectable WITHOUT toppings? ¬_______¬

This thread is quickly turning into the "food of the day" thread.

Back