The Truth : Playing Music and Videos on the Wii

SuperWii_7

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2006
I have heard many different methods for using the Wii to play music and videos but I am still not sold on any of them. There are so many different threads concerning this topic on this forum so I created this thread to put all those ideas together and figure out the best solution. I have come up with a small list from what I have learned and have experienced. Please post any additional information or correct me on any errors, I hope to increase this list and find the most effective way to play music and videos on the Wii.

Videos

Method #1
Converting movie files on computer to proper format, transferring to the SD Card, playing on the Photo Channel

Pros:
Easy to do
Not many additional programs needed
Internet not needed

Cons:
Makes files too large, average movie will not fit on an SD Card after converting
Quality is reduced if trying to make the file smaller
Photo Channel isn’t a good viewing program

Method #2
Streaming the video using programs such as the Wii Media Center X

I don’t know much about this because I’ve had so many problems with setting it up, please add your input if you have.

Music

Method #1
Loading all your mp3s on a SD Card and playing them on the Photo Channel

Pros:
Very easy to do
Can store many songs with SD Card

Cons:
No proper player on the Photo Channel
Barely any control over what songs are played

Method #2

There are many streaming options which I am still unfamiliar with because of the difficulty of setting them up or the cost involved. Once again add your input if you’ve tried it.

So please add your thoughts so we can share the best way possible to play videos and music on the Wii, it’ll save many of us loads of time. Thanks for your help!

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's obsession with wanting to hear music while playing? You could always do it the old way and just turn down your tv and let the stereo play. Plus, why would you want to be robbed of the truly epic experience of hearing the Mario Galaxy soundtrack? Amazing.

you can buy a disk for about £15 that gives you an interface to play music or videos from your SD card

I have iTunes, I have a wii. I put on music, I play da wii. Problem solved.

Dreamworx said:
you can buy a disk for about £15 that gives you an interface to play music or videos from your SD card
And that's called? :aureola:
Problem with that article is it's not for updated Wii versions, nowadays you need converters for the files.

Last edited:
Is there a program that lets you stream movies from a newtork drive or your computer without downloading any? If so plz post:lol:

Method one for Videos and Music is true. I know this because I have used the both. The downside to converting videos to Wii format is that the file becomes larger and in some cases considerably larger. As for method this is the first time I have heard of streaming to the Wii.

Well, simplest example to the movie sizes getting larger, my 39MB music video (Bullet in the Head-Rage Against the Machine) turned into a 122MB file and lost considerable quality, like wtf?

Ashwii00 said:
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's obsession with wanting to hear music while playing? You could always do it the old way and just turn down your tv and let the stereo play. Plus, why would you want to be robbed of the truly epic experience of hearing the Mario Galaxy soundtrack? Amazing.

same here. I turn the BGM volume all the way down on games where it doesn't matter like sports games and such and throw on music on the stereo or computer. Goal accomplished.

kyle

Maybe he has good quality sound on his TV and not on his computer. i dunno . threads like these are needed to clarify things cleared out ive heard of something called orb or something what is it? rep to person who made thread.

Orb is a program that lets you stream music and video from a PC to a Wii via the Wii's web browser. It is free and it works fine, ive used it many times to listen to music.

jjrules352 said:
Maybe he has good quality sound on his TV and not on his computer. i dunno . threads like these are needed to clarify things cleared out ive heard of something called orb or something what is it? rep to person who made thread.

Yes exactly, my TV has one hell of a sound system.

For all of those who don't see the point in playing music and videos on Wii, please don't post here. Its called trying new things with the Wii and finding out its full capability. I know you can play music other ways so would you shut it for one second and let us discuss.

The problem with Orb is its only Windows compatible.

Yesterday I tried converting an episode of Lost and it turned into a 2 GB file... :mad5: Theres gotta be a better way.

Thanks for the comments so far, please add more information!

Ashwii00 said:

Yea good point.

It's not so much listening to music while playing (though I'm guilty of doing that while playing GTA, their sound tracks aren't the greatest), it's the fact of having the ability and knowing how to get full use of it. Principle my friend, principle.

i still want music and video to fill up my channels lol but soo easy get my ipod nano to watch videos and listen to music while playing moh2

Back