To Mod or Not to Mod

hot_chili said:
ok i am seriously thinking of havibng a mod chip in my wii.
im in the uk!!! what mod chip should i get and what sites can do it for me with good prices.
what is the best mod chip out there!!!!!
I compiled a list of sellers and installers for CycloWiz, WiiKey, WiiD and Wiinja.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51085

I myself have reviewed CycloWiz. WiiKey, WiiD and CycloWiz v2 is coming soon.

XLaw said:
Wii smurf Id say that your the noob. Should I scratch my originals instead of play my game backups? And who cares if it's illegal ,your thinking that suddenly the big N will go to your home and arrest you?
My advise is get Wiikey you could play other region games with it. Like buy a game from JAP and play it on a NTSC Wii .

Most game publishers have very cheap (or free) game replacement policies for damaged discs. People don't bother to look at the EULAs or call the company. Anyone who mods their wii is NOT doing it for backup purposes, I don't care what the heck excuse you want to use, it's bullcrap. If you mod your wii, you are doing it to steal games and that is the bottom line regardless of what self righteous defense you want to use. Steal games = less money for the developers which = less games or worse games in the future. Support your game developers for the hard work they did or sell your dang console and move on to something else.

Modding can also be considered illegal because it's circumventing an anti-copy scheme. People running XBOX modding "businesses" have been arrested and jailed/fined for it. Obviously those people care if it's illegal. MS pursued their modders and the law arrested them. Why can't N do the same thing? You should also care that it's illegal because illegal = WRONG....duh.

Do you people have no sense of morality or something?

worrying about warrenties is maddness. buying your first five games is the same price as buying another wii. also if you are unlucky enough to have your wii fail within you first year and have to buy another. you will end up with an extra wiimote,numchuck,sensor bar,power supply plus you can sell the faulty console on ebay and recover more money there. so replacing your wii wont be as expensive as you think. also any chip can be removed in 10 minutes and if you fit an external socket once you remove the chip it is no different to an unmodded wii.

while i agree with some about certain aspects of modding such as pirating games stealing is stealing even in cyberspace....have i ever downloaded a game NO!!!! but i do have a modded xbox...why?I got sick of my kids scratching the games...so i modded the xbox then dropped a 300gb drive in it and when i buy games i transferred them to the hard drive so i wouldnt have to worry about scratched dvds anymore..so where is the harm in that?Would i mod my wii?NO there is no reason for it now but if there comes a time when i can put games on HD for wii i will.......piracy hurts all higher prices not crappy games...word of mouth hurts gaming more look at far cry for the wii...this way of thinking means the reason why there is so many copies new and used of far cry means its the most pirated...not its means people have been warned against it

While in principle I don't agree with piracy, those who ***** at modding maybe should know something:
Let's say that average salary in US is 2000$ (maybe more or less but about it) each game costs ~50$ and you can find cheaper
Where I live (Greece) the average salary is 600€ and each game cost ~55€. I must remind you that 1€~1.3$
Now, don't take me wrong, I my self am not going to mod, but i hate to hear ppl play it righteous when they actually pay 1/5 of what I pay for each game. Yeah I know nintendo ftw and against piracy and bla bla bla but seriously fudge off. We don't all live in the US or UK you know.

Last time I checked, the term nOOb, newbie, etc. referred to someone new to something (game, online play, something else).
I think I can speak for all of us in saying that we are all no longer new to the video game scene and the Nintendo Wii scene.
The only nOObs I see here are those who are new to the modification scene.
Yes installing a MOD may void your warrenty. However, if nothing has happened to your console within the first few months, the chances of anything happening unless your ignorant and stupid while handling it are slim to none.
Furthermore, I have to agree that modifying a game console adds further playability and functionality. The XBOX was soo useful once it was modified. Brought a whole new way of making LAN parties work, and allowing for a vast number of games to be played without the trouble of getting up to switch any disks.
It is great to use when your away from home, i.e. the cottage, as another forum member pointed out.
All in all, modifying your console can only bring benefits to your game experience.
As far as I'm concerned, it is a noble idea to modify this system. It would allow for so much more to be possible; especially due to its relatively compact design.
Personally I do not think that I will modify my Wii just yet as I do not have the time to commit to 'backup' my games, etc.
Also, Nintendo has crap loads of money. The VC is a way of making more money. Its not just games, look at all the merchandise aswell...books, toys, magazines...games are just one fraction of the empire.

hi guys. i just bought a bnew US ver. wii un-modified. when i inserted the included wii sports, it said, "unable to read the disc". i tried several times to eject the disc, turn off, turn on, insert the disc, etc. to no avail. the disc isnt dirty & has no crack lines. i even tried to invert the disc as a friend w/ a wii told me its no problem, the disc wont just be read.

so i searched on the settings & other menus & found this update where i have to connect to the internet. i was able to connect & start the update but it only started. there was only 1 bar & it didnt move for around 30min. it was already 1am here & i didnt want to leave the wii overnight since it might heat up so i turned off my router & modem. the 1 bar still didnt increase for 10min. so i turned off the wii. when i turned it back on, same problem - "unable to read the disc". everything on the wii menus still worked - the mii, channels, settings, d controllers incl. the nunchuk. the disc wont just load. it seems like a simple problem but it isnt, as i cant play a single game.

will having it modified at a reputable console shop solve my problem? any of you heard or experience the same?

i would really appreciate any help/advise as i cant sleep w/ this in mind. its 3:45am here already.

tnx for reading.

Last edited:
Wii_Smurf, Modding is not illegal. As a purchased piece of hardware, you can do whatever you want to your system. Mod it, disassemble it, change its case, smash it with a hammer, etc. Some are not advisable, but they have no legal grounds to stop you.

Likewise, creating a single back up copy for archival purposes is protected (in the USA) under fair-use laws, no mater what the DMCA-Nazi's would like you to think.

HOWEVER, and this is important, under the DMCA software piracy is a Federal Crime in the US. So, if you make a copy of a game, then say sell the original, you have committed a crime with like a $5000 dollar fine and five year jail sentence attached. Five year FEDERAL PENITENTIARY jail sentence. Also, downloading a disk image and burning a copy of a game you didn't buy, same thing.

So, if you want to mod so that you can save your original disk against unlikely damage, or so that you can run homebrewed software, or run linux on your Wii, or even try to jury rig up a developers kit out of a standard box, that's all legal. If you're modding so that you can download games instead of buying them, well, stock up on soap-on-a-rope. Just in case.

Nizar said:
You can mod ur wii with wiikey, its undetectable , unpgreadable, works with stealth mode and restore mod. It's the best one out there, just make sure to buy from an offecial resellercuz there are many clones fakes and edae on arrival chipps out there.

BUT make sure that you still buy original games, the once that you like the most, like a gamoe or two at least, or else game producers will loose and this will affect you in the long run :)

how do you know if it is undetectable? ms detected modded console by looking at the disc not the chip. upgradable? no updates so far, cant prove that it is. shitty support. restore mod? no updates no way to show the restore capability. Best one? no updates and crappy support sure. Id go with wiinja deluxe or wiifree. I bet the clones have the exactly the same hex codes.

Most of the Mod haters are saying it's wrong. I guess that's right, but the thing is, Nintendo factors in piracy into their prices anyway. I bet you games would be 10-20 bucks cheaper if nobody pirated games.

Modding a console is perfectly legal. Owning backups is perfectly legal. What's illegal is copying games you do not own.

Even if my Wii does screw up, I'd buy another one. For games, accesories, etc, i've paid more than the Wii itself (~$300), and frankly, I think I should stop. I'll still buy great games.

I have the WiiFree, it's basically a free chip. All you need are the parts (approx 2 bucks) and you're set. For that price, I'm using my Wii much more.

It voids the warranty: Your warranty is only for 1 year. Besides, Best Buy will replace my Wii even if it's modded.

It's illegal: Owning a modchip and backups? No. Owning copied games you dont own? Yes

It's stupid: Can't afford the $2? You get an infinite amount of savings (that is, until Nintendo stops making Wii games).

It's modding: No, really, do tell me more

It's for |\|00b$: It's actually quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Personally I don't mod my wii and I do not support hose who mod their machine. In the end it is the people who buy the real ones support the software industry while other just take advantage of them.

But I also think the real game for wii is way too expensive compared with the quality. XBox 360 and the PS3 games the graphics are so much better and they are selling roughly at the same price of wii games.

I think below 30 US$ is the fair price.

i dont like modding, i dont think it enhances the gaming experience enough for the risk of screwing something up.

"oh wow, i can play imports" so what, i dont really want to play imports.
"oh wow, i can make another disc of a game i already own" once again, i dont care, if you take care of your first disc and dont feed it to a dog, you shouldnt need to worry about the first one getting too scratched up (or whatever)

XLaw said:
Wii smurf Id say that your the noob. Should I scratch my originals instead of play my game backups? And who cares if it's illegal ,your thinking that suddenly the big N will go to your home and arrest you?
My advise is get Wiikey you could play other region games with it. Like buy a game from JAP and play it on a NTSC Wii .

Lol. I can just imagine Shiguru Miyamoto turning up on your doorstep and kicking you in the bolloks. :lol:

Maybe everyone should post their CV as there seems to be a surprising number of MBA's, software developers and entrepreneurial wizards in this thread.

OMG, hahahaha :lol:

Back