Top 10 Things Missing From Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
“Super Smash Bros. Brawl” is great, near-perfect even… but it’s not. There are still a few things missing from it that keep it from being among my favorite games of all time.

In fact, there are 10 things missing.

I have played the game all the way through. I have unlocked all the modes, characters and almost 150 trophies. I’ve seen the best and the worst the game has to offer.

Here’s what’s missing, the 10 things that must be in the sequel. Hopefully someone will take note.

1. Worldwide Simultaneous Release

This one is key. Once the game hit store shelves a month ago in Japan, “Smash Bros.” fans like myself found it almost impossible to avoid being exposed to any of the the game’s secrets. I can just imagine what it’s like for fans in Europe who have to wait even longer. Leveling the playing field for all fans and keeping all the secrets secret until the game is actually released would be a dream come true next time around.

2. Increase the Multiplayer Number

“Resistance 2” will have 60 players online at once playing the same game, and “Smash Bros.” only has four. Even off-line, “Smash Bros.” still only has four. While it may break from the “Smash Bros.” mold, upping the overall players per game would just add to the fun. Think about playing with eight of your friends all at once on one screen. It would be crazy, hectic, and awesome.

3. Downloadable Content

Some of these things are mainstays on the Wii’s competitors, but seem foreign to Nintendo products. Downloadable content stands out at the top of that list. “Brawl” is perfectly suited for additional content via Nintendo’s Wii Shopping Channel. Fans of the game are rabid, and many of them would most likely purchase every piece of content just to have the complete “Smash Bros.” experience. Characters would be best for this, but I would settle for more events, trophies, or challenges.

4. More Characters

I don’t think this is asking a lot. The Nintendo universe is ripe with additional characters that could be included in “Smash Bros.” So are the Konami, Capcom, Sega, Namco and Square Enix universes. The current list tops out at a total of 35 characters (37 if you count Samus and Zelda as two each) which is meager when compared to another personal favorite, “Marvel vs. Capcom 2“’s 56. “Mortal Kombat Armageddon” had over 60 characters. In all honesty, all they really need to do is add in Toad and I’ll be happy.

5. Voice Chat

Another way that the Wii is lagging behind its competitors is the lack of voice chat. Trash-talking aside, if you have tried to set up an on-line match against one of your friends you have seen just how much “Brawl” would have benefited from having voice chat. We know Nintendo wants to keep their console family-friendly, but it’s gotten a bit ridiculous. Maybe next time around we can at least chat with people with whom we’ve exchanged friend codes.

6. Unlockable Incentive Content Included On Other Games

Imagine if, come April 27, you run out and buy “Mario Kart Wii” and, upon throwing it in, it recognizes that you have a “SSBB” save file and you receive a message that “Baby Mario has joined the Brawl.” Or the Rainbow Road stage is now playable. I’m well aware this is a long shot, but it’s still well worth considering.

7. DS Connectivity

This may be a bit of a pipe dream but the DS/Wii connectivity is an underused feature that could really be used well. For example, imagine if you were able to play a mini-game to collect stickers and trophies and then beam them back to your “Smash Bros.” save file and add them to your collection. It’s just another missed opportunity.

8. Capcom-Inspired 2D Fighting

I’m not saying that “Smash Bros.” needs another game mode. By the time you’re done unlocking everything there is more than enough. But what if there was another way to brawl? “Smash Bros.” owes a bit of inspiration from the “Street Fighter” series, primarily from later titles in Capcom’s series, with their aerial attacks and full screen super moves. But what if it harkened back to the days that made “Street Fighter” famous? Imagine a two-player mode that was in the vein of “Street Fighter II” — 2D fighting on a single plane, finite life bars, and no getting eliminated for falling off the stage. I know it’s not classic “Smash,” but it would be a whole new way of playing the game.

9. Online Stats and Rankings

“Smash Bros. Brawl” starts tracking stats from the second that the console is turned on, so why can’t it provide some kind of online stats tracking and rankings? There are millions of people playing this thing online, and we just want to know where we stand. This is another simple yet vital feature that PS3 and Xbox 360 games have over the Wii.

10. Create-a-Character

I hoped that player-created characters could somehow be included in this version of “Smash Bros.” but alas, it wasn’t meant to be. My Mii has been left to fight elsewhere. Next time around, the Miis should be an integral part of the game, and you should be allowed to use them as customizable characters that you can brawl with, both online and off. Most of the other major fighting franchises have done it, not necessarily well (”Soul Calibur” I’m looking at you). But at least they’ve done it. Why can’t “Smash?”

Source

I agree with Worldwide Release, its a shame Europe gets it so late, but I guess Freeloader helps that. Mii integration I don't think would work, but having more characters, voice chat, downloadable content and incentives would be great.

Your thoughts?

With the characters, didn't they up them by almost 10 from melee? That's pretty good in my eyes. You can't expect them to go from 20-something to 56....

With the create a character, my favorite part of the game is playing as my favorite nintendo characters. I just won't use that.

Still, I agree with downloadable content and voice chat.

Some of those i agree with others i dont. I think it should be a world wide release, and there should be downloadable content, rankings, and incentives content, and maybe some more characters, but i don't agree with create a character and more people playing it. I think that it might get a little TOO hectic.

Listened to a recent podcast on the voice chat in Brawl. Sakurai had plans on actually putting voice chat into SSBB. Nintendo turned him down, and simply said "no". If SSBB doesn't have voice chat, I can't see any other game down the line having it as well. Very disappointing.

Create a character would just kill Brawl. It was a game meant for you to play as one of Big N character and duke it out with others. To add that would just ruin the whole point, more third party character would make a lot more sense.

Four people is enough in Brawl this isn't no FPS so don't compare 60 to 4 >.> increasing the number of contestant would just be too chaotic to even enjoy a good match.

As for unlock-able things requiring other games it should only be trophy or stickers, which is already done in Melee (Pikmin Trophy) so it might have been done in Brawl, who knows I don't think no one collected all the trophies yet. If they put playable character locked up until we get a certain game that'd be insane, people will just get outrage.

The rest of the idea is okay, but not a "must have or joo phail!" in the sequel.

I think that no matter how many characters you put into a game, there'll almost always be someone left out. I know I bought Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games for my kids and I had hoped that all the characters from that would also be in Brawl (although I gather that Sega probably isn't so popular here, I think Tails would be fun in Brawl), but there still is a pretty good selection. The original MK had only 7 playable characters, and I still put at least a million dollars into it at the arcade :)

Quick Edit: The thing is, while I love how a lot of games have numerous additional characters, a lot of times they're just re-packaged older characters (MK is famous for this). I guess I'd rather have well thought out original characters than numerous duplicates with different coloured outfits.

Last edited:
Kiryllos said:
I think that no matter how many characters you put into a game, there'll almost always be someone left out. I know I bought Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games for my kids and I had hoped that all the characters from that would also be in Brawl (although I gather that Sega probably isn't so popular here, I think Tails would be fun in Brawl), but there still is a pretty good selection. The original MK had only 7 playable characters, and I still put at least a million dollars into it at the arcade :)

Quick Edit: The thing is, while I love how a lot of games have numerous additional characters, a lot of times they're just re-packaged older characters (MK is famous for this). I guess I'd rather have well thought out original characters than numerous duplicates with different coloured outfits.

I 100% agree. well said.

wow

that's just a bunch of whining tbh.

and more than 4 people? 60 PEOPLE? get real, it's always been 4 people, it should always be 4 people.

i think the top things missing from brawl are wave dashing and l cancelling. hands down this game rocks.

Only thing I agree with is the online ranking. I thought we were supposed to be able to see our records against people we added online...but I'm not seein it anywhere?

Only thing I think would be truly necessary would be a simulatneous release, otherwise those things aren't needed to make Smash perfect.
Increasing the multiplayer number is something they should NOT do, in fact, I would hate it to have 8 people duking it out at once, it would be way too chaotic.

Well i agree with you on all of this but the reason it doesnt have much online capabilities as xbox would is because wii is a "kiddy" system, as in allowing people to say whatever they want on voice when kids are present, well you know what i mean. But i do wish they did have some kind of ranking system!

this topic is discussed too much in my opinion. all is good though.i HIGHLY disagree with create-a-character... there is then NO way to becoming anywhere near pro level if this were in. if everyone could make their own character you would have no clue what moves to expect and therefore the outcome would be fairly random as every attack is unexpected... part of what makes a pro player amazing is his knowledge of the opponent's character and his ability to recognize attacks... how can one do this if each person makes up their move set>?

this list sucks. oh no wonder, its written by MTV and not VTV.
anyways 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 10 are totally bogus. 8 doesnt even make sense. 1, 5 and 9 are the only ones on that list worth mentioning and like number 3 - the game doesnt need more **** to DL - maybe some patches for a chat room and ways to improve online play but wtf do these guys want. the reason 8 doesnt make sense is because if those idiots played the game theyd realize in "SPECIAL MELEE" you can set it to hp mode which makes it just like "street fighter". one thing these guys didnt even mention is how in melee when you aimed your control stick forward for a strong attack the kick/punch would actually go high, mid or low which i noticed was missing. anyways this article gets an F.

create a character would never fit size wise into the game. Marvel vs capcoms gameplay is more simple than brawl so it can fit more characters. to add the things he says, some of them, brawl's gameplay would have to be compensated. although if they got rid of masterpieces who knows i guess...

Back