USB 2.0 LAN adaptor

-D-X-

WiiChat Member
Sep 8, 2006
Was anything released about the USB LAN adaptor. I am just wondering if its going to be the same as the DS with the same crappy range and such.

I don't know, but I doubt they'll even release a specific Wii version of the USB LAN adaptor because the DS one will most likely work for Wii. They may just sell it as the "Nintendo WiFi USB LAN adaptor" and discontinue the one's labled "DS Nintendo WiFi USB LAN adaptor."

NateTheGreat said:
I don't know, but I doubt they'll even release a specific Wii version of the USB LAN adaptor because the DS one will most likely work for Wii. They may just sell it as the "Nintendo WiFi USB LAN adaptor" and discontinue the one's labled "DS Nintendo WiFi USB LAN adaptor."
Maybe, but can the DS one even handle everything to do the whole wiiconnect 24.

Yeah, I don't know. I personally don't have a DS although, trust me, I'm getting one by Xmas if possible, so I don't how powerful or weak the DS Wifi adapter is.

Why don't you just buy a router. I'm guessing the USB WiFi adapter will run like $30, so why not pay $20 more and get a router that will do the job quite a bit better?

The ones that are recommended are like $60 or $70 and I would rather avoid that if I can but if it comes down to the usb thing being crap then I probably will.

You can also connect Wii to the internet via a direct connection to your modem as long as the modem has one of those USB/ethernet ports or you could buy just a regular router that doesn't have wireless and connect Wii to it's USB/ethernet port. The non-wireless routers are pretty cheap, aren't they?

Oh so the wii can have a wired connection? I was under the impression it couldnt.

LoL ok so their is no wired connection to the wii?

According to my experience developing USB devices, it won't be possible to have a non-Nintendo USB Lan adapter. At least not legally.

The standard procedure after the USB is plugged in to any machine, it reads the vid/pid from the USB device. The code is specific to a device and indicates what driver should be used. Of course it is possible to have another USB Lan adapter having the same function as Nintendo's. However, to use the other thing on Wii, it must have the same vid/pid as well, so wii recognizes the device and uses the correct driver. Let's suppose that someone cracks another device and change its vid/pid to that of Nintendo's. And say that the cracked device works exactly with the same driver installed on Wii. Surely it would work, but the vid/pid was paid for, I don't suppose this would be a legal thing to do.

We just have to be patient and wait, once again.:frown2:

I personally don't have too much probelm with wi-fi. But my husband said he gets a headache everytime wifi is on. He is more sensitive than a wifi detector.

I take my own words back. I am the person who reported that specific usb adapter working on nintendo's discussion board.

It seems like that Nintendo didn't even go through the trouble of taking a new USB ID. They just pick one company that makes the thing and use the existing number.

Don't buy it from the page you refered to. It is clearly over priced. It is $12.99 from fry's. And one week ago I found someone on ebay selling it for $5. If you really want one that will work and don't care about paying extra, I'll sell you mine for $30 including shipping.:ihih:

"I take my own words back. I am the person who reported that specific usb adapter working on nintendo's discussion board."

So, if i am reading your post right you say that one doesn't work. And it seems like you know one that will. What one or brand do you suggest?

-D-X- said:
Was anything released about the USB LAN adaptor. I am just wondering if its going to be the same as the DS with the same crappy range and such.

GO WIRELESS! I have no problems conecting my friends ds or my wii to my wireless rouder its alot better then wired!

Thing is i have wired already and i don't want to spend $40-60 on a router when my Wii is like 10 ft from my computer. And i bought a wireless router for $30 and it didn't make it 10 ft from my computer.

Back