Value

JeremyDay

WiiChat Member
Aug 3, 2006
Let me state, I am only interested in purchasing the Nintendo Wii. I don't want to buy the PS3 or the 360.

As my musings and complaints will have little affect on the prices and packages of Nintendo products, I probably shouldn't even post this.

On the other hand, I'm passing the time until the silly little console is released. I say that in an affectionate way.

As I have mentioned before, I was excited about the Wii due to its lower price and slant towards gaming.

At the age of 10 or so, I met the Nintendo and it was glorious. Images of the original Nintendo and the hours of fun it created are flashing into my mind.

The slant towards gaming is still there.

I'm dubious in regards to the "lower price" angle. I'm not going to tick off facts one after another here--NOT trying to pee in the hardcore fans wheaties. I'm just musing.

I will ask questions generally or make general comments. I'm going to buy the Wii and the Wii only.

Generally the Xbox goes for around? $399.99

The Wii is going to sell for? $249.99

So if I want to buy the Xbox I pay for the following minimum:

For $399.99 I get:

Xbox 360 console
20GB detachable hard drive
Wireless controller
Wireless Xbox Live headset
High-definition AV cables
Ethernet cable
Detachable faceplate
Xbox Live Silver membership

Microsoft is no dummy. They know you want to play against your brother, sisiter, wife, husband, or neighbor. They know you need another controller. Otherwise you have to share (gasp!!)

So you add this:

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller $37.99

I didn't see a game included with the system (I just picked this up off of Amazon by the way). So I like to play Madden:

Madden NFL 07 59.95

= 497.93

Now on the other hand, if I go with the Wii:

I want the system, which costs:

For $249.99 I get:

1 Wii
1 Nunchuku
1 Wiimote
1 Wiisports
(cables and all that jazz)

Well I bought the Wii and I still want to play with my friend? So what do I do? I buy another controller(s).

Wiimote/Nunchuku $60

Well, the Wii sports seems a little basic . . . guess I want another game for the Wii as well.

Madden NFL 07 $49.99

= $359.98

So I save $137.95?

On one hand that seems fairly substancial. I like that number. I like they aren't kicking me in the groin (like Microsoft) and stealing almost everything in my wallet.

On the other hand, it seems somewhat steep. $360.00 (roughly, interesting number).

Could you imagine the joy if they had sent the Wii out at $200.00 instead. Ahh, lovely dreams.

Yes, yes. You've seen it all before. Yes, I'm making you angry possibly. You want this system to be the greatest. You want to believe everything they've told you. Me too. I'm not the enemy here. Just musing.

I will say that even the $200.00 price point for the earlier machines was steep for me. When I have kids, they will be hard pressed to get $300.00 out of me for a gaming machine.

Last edited:
Back