Video turns off when playing virtual console games

Sahasrahla said:
Ha ha, you've got to be kidding me! Still, this 'solution' won't work on my system, as the screen blacks out completely on starting the the game, forcing me to resort to composite to have the operations manual displayed at all.

After hearing this, I'm frankly quite intimidated to contact Nintendo in the future. What 'fixes' will they hand out when told that this one won't work?

"Here's what you do, start the console in debug mode by simultaneously inserting the nunchuk and wiimote in your inner ear and change back lines 895-935 in wiiconfg.dat so that they read only the ISO-9001 compliant values. Log off by chanting the second verse of "We are the World". Godspeed."

Cynicism aside, thanks a bunch for sharing your info with us!
Hey Sahasrahla, I think this should still work for you.

I get the same black screen as you when I load a VC game, but when I press the home button the home menu is displayed without any problems. Then I can enter the operations manual and use the hidden controller command. And voila, now I can play VC games without changing cables!

Also, it seems to remember the settings, so you don't have to do this for each game. Of course, you need a version that supports "component cable interlaced mode" or whatever, and unfortunately these are pretty limited at the moment. I wish Nintendo would get around to updating the other games, too.

Thanks for being so sympathetic to my plight, but alas... no dice... :cryin: (I shouldn't use that emoticon anymore, really).

I turned on the nunchuk-fix via composite but didn't get any video when I later switched to component. (unfortunately I can't get the menu to be displayed while using component cable - something that does seem to work with MegaDrive-games). I tried all three different display modes, and even fiddled with the widescreen settings for good measure.

I'm seriously thinking of 'downgrading' to RGB-component. I'm none too fond of the jagged edges in the regular Wii-games, so downgrading might provide a fix for that eyesore too. Has anyone on this forum done this, and if so, may we have your findings, please?

For that matter, has anyone on this forum tried to get Nintendo to replace their component cables by RGB-composite cables? And have you been succesful?

The problems I was having are now fixed. I had the VC games just cut in and out while I was playing them. Also had little artifacts on the screen when playing. I sent my Wii back for repairs and they gave me a new one. Lost ALL my save data and Miis in the process even though they promised that they would transfer my data across.

I'm having this problem - can someone tell me where to download the update from - I've been to the shopping channel but can't find any updates!

Updates

Some games feature the option to update the already downloaded version - you should try to search games you already own and see if an updated version is available. It's basically the same process as if you were downloading the game for the first time.

My Wii cuts out when playing VC games too. I have a regular ole TV though, so I don't think the problem is limited to HD plasmas, LCD, etc.

I e-mailed Nintendo USA and they sent me a response with a link to their troubleshooting page. No answer there that I could find. I'll call customer service (1-800-255-3700 for anyone else who needs help with this problem) and see what happens.

In the meantime, has anyone found a way that works to fix the problem on a non-HD, plasma, etc. television?

This is the first time I hear about this problem happening on a regular TV. The only good thing about it is that you are one more customer experiencing this kind of problem and hopefully one day we are enough to make Nintendo do something about it :)

I'm really really disappointed that they didn't come up with a fix yet...

Just joined due to this problem and the quote below is what fixed it for me,thanks!

Twillus said:
Just an update on my previous post;

I had the Wii connected to the aux video connection of a PVR that is then connected to the video-in port on the TV. I get the blank screen but hear sound when using the virtual console in that configuration.

On a whim I bypassed the PVR and connected the Wii directly to the TV video in. In that configuration it works perfectly. The PVR is a digital cable receiver and recorder. I am not sure what this really implies or if it even helps any of you, but thought I would update in case it does.

I know this is an old thread but I need help!

I just purchased Sonic and when trying to play it, the video blinks nonstop until I press the Home button to bring up the menu. I tried doing the Z+A+2 trick but that does not seem to work. I have a 32" Dell HDTV and I'm using the standard composite cables which works fine when playing SMB3 (after the Z+A+2 trick). Any ideas or suggestions? Please help!! THANKS!

Glad I got a DLP!!! I have a Mitsubishi DLP 65" set, with component cables, running widescreen, and 480p, no issues whatsoever!

Thanks - the fix worked for me

Hello

I found this thread as I was having the same problem.
I have a 40 inch lcd Samsung screen and could not get the virtual console to work at all except for the home menu.

The screen was just black. I tried a few Megadrive and Master System games.

However, holding the keys in the operations manual worked for me and now all the games work fine.

Thanks a lot OccasionalGamer for sharing the fix!
I have a component cable which is 20 metres as the TV is on the other side of the room over the bed!

Thanks
Robin

P.S. Why do you limit usernames to 10 characters on this board?

Virtual console not showing video

Start a game, click home, go to Operations Guide, press Z, A and 2 at the same time. Z in on the controller attachment / nunchuck. Support says this fixes the output settings to work with "modern" televisions. My TV is almost 10 years old so I assume many others have the same issue.

[I posted this before in the 'wrong' forum]

I downloaded a virtual console game (Sonic) and when I start accessing it the video blacks out (says "No Signal" on my TV) (sound is still ok). I am running the video through my Yamaha AV which video-upscales to component Video, displaying it on my Panasonic 42" plasma.
It seems that the Video-signals change when running virtual console games and the HSync/VSync signals are off so some component in the video path is unable to synchronize the signal anymore. When I press "Home" the picture comes back with the "RESET" / "Wii MENU" buttons.
All other games run perfectly - its just the virtual console channel which has this problem

Anybody else had a similar experience? - I heard about people complaining that the Virtual console games would be stretched on a wide-screen display. Maybe both problems could be fixed in a firmware update?

Is this forum monitored by Wii support as well or is this only a user community?

Back