Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Violence

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thewiirules123, Feb 18, 2007.

1. thewiirules123

thewiirules123 Wii Gamer

I know I am going to get bashed for saying this, but whats the big deal with violence. Of course, as much as the next person I always find it fun to play shooter games, and some shooter games are great. But what I dont like are games that reinact wars or things like that. Because people dont fully realise how horrible war is; and it is the kind of thing that shouldn't be treated as a "game" because, it's not. When you play war games and you die there is a game over and you start playing again, in the real thing they don't get to replay. So I just don't think it's morally right to treat war as a thing of entertainment. And please, you have every right to disagree with me but give me an arguement not just a "u suck" post.

2. Rand

Rand WiiChat Member

You know..most of my life is based on ethics. I have never really thought of this kind of thing, however. I think that people play it not because its an actual war, but rather the fun-ness factor of it. I personally Love war games, but I do not love war. Man I am not good with words..but yeah. I dont think people enjoy it because of the fact that its actually war based.

3. paintba||er

paintba||er WiiChat Member

Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: s
    Wii Friend Code: 8354-0173-2009-5422
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    As long as people realise the difference between the game and real life I see no problem with war games. Wars are terrible things but playing a war game doesn't make them any worse. And what is morally right varies widely from person to person.

4. thewiirules123

thewiirules123 Wii Gamer

But the thing is some people don't and they think of war as a fun thing.

5. nic7

nic7 Wiichat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8853-1952-9704-6115
    8853-1952-9704-6115
    i love violent games, but come to think of it they have spawned alot of trouble. insania, murder, school shootings, etc. but i have nothing wrong with war games. in some way WWII games are actually used for teaching the past.

6. Minto

Minto You're kidding, right?

Wii Friend Code: 0505-6993-9515-7982
    0505-6993-9515-7982
    war is fun like in war you can kill a man and then gut him:ee5k:

7. thewiirules123

thewiirules123 Wii Gamer

I dont think very many people use it to teach themselves.

8. thewiirules123

thewiirules123 Wii Gamer

Thanks for helping prove my point.

9. Darthspazz

Darthspazz Zelda Master

I don't mind violence, and I know people who play GTA but don't end up slaughtering people. Some studies show that TV violence is a lot more influential than video game violence. This debate is very confusing, and its usually the anti-violent people that get dissed (Jack Thompson).

I like violence, but as long as the whole game isn't based around slaughtering kids or something.:nonod:

10. thewiirules123

thewiirules123 Wii Gamer

I am not worried about people killing people because of video games, I am worried that people are starting to think of war as entertainment.

11. paintba||er

paintba||er WiiChat Member

Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: s
    Wii Friend Code: 8354-0173-2009-5422
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Well if you think that playing games will make you go shoot someone then you arn't very smart. The only people that do that already have many many problems and should be in an asylum some where not playing games.

12. Gymdawg

Gymdawg ~I Spy Hypocricy~

Wii Friend Code: 5981-2669-3238-7379
    5981-2669-3238-7379
    Violent games do not incite violence in those that play them; anyone who thinks otherwise is an ignorant fool. Violent games provide an outlet for the natural aggression inborn in everything. The 70's and 80's are a testiment to that; when kids were exposed to nothing but the happiness of The Smurfs and other shows like them the levels of violence rose drastically. However, in the 90's, when shows like Power Rangers became popular, violent outbreaks began to drop and have continued to drop ever since.
    Everyone and everything on this planet is naturally violent, video games and movies profide us with a means of using this aggression in a harmless fashion.

13. thewiirules123

thewiirules123 Wii Gamer

I comepletly agree that it does not incite violence in those who play them. But the 70's and 80's were a diffrent time and I do not think that just because they had more entertaining violence in their lives that this was the one of the main reasons crime went down.

14. Darthspazz

Darthspazz Zelda Master

I agree that war should be taken seriously, I think 2142 is the best and my favourite move on it is to knife people. then I get killed and I'm like, WHATEVER!:yikes: I watched a video though, THAT CHANGED ALL THAT! I showed real men getting limbs blown of, and other horrors. If everyone say stuff like that then war wouldn't be popular. EA doesn't want that though.:nono: :frown2:

15. Brawny

Brawny Anglophobiphile

Wii Friend Code: 5385-4035-7079-0395
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    I have many relatives that are in the military. I respect war and the people who fight them (the people not using children with bombs stuck to them as bait anyways) but I don't think that there is anything wrong with modeling a game after historical events. And I think that you can learn from games like these. Call of duty really taught me what canada/other countries not recognized really did in WWII

16. kitkat_bar

kitkat_bar I am a girl, deal w/ it.

Wii Friend Code: 2709-7937-9905-7391
    2709-7937-9905-7391
    The reason we have war games is because we as a human race are attracted to it. Especially men. Men have always been territorial and have always been attracted to death and violence. Video game is quite a few steps above the galdiator games held way back in roman times. Violence has always been around and always will be around. They are so previlant in video games because it alows us as a human race to get out our agression without actually hurting anyone.

17. Darthspazz

Darthspazz Zelda Master

Call of Duty is okay, but EA is promoting war in its Battlefield games. I only learned that if a tank kills you, come back to life with a rocket launcher:ee5k:

18. fistpittingnork

fistpittingnork Spliffer

Wii Friend Code: 1137-5638-7724-4772
    1137-5638-7724-4772

You don't like war games because war is horrible? Fair enough. You are a fan of other "shooter games" though? What about Grand Theft Auto. What about the people who really have been mugged, beaten, or killed, for nothing more than their car or wallets? Why is it fair to say war shouldn't be treated like a game but yet it's ok to beat an innocent man to death with a baseball bat over his car so you can run from the police? Seems a bit hypocritical.

19. Darthspazz

Darthspazz Zelda Master

...like I said...I love violence in games like zelda, guild wars, Call of Duty, and fight night...BUT GAMES LIKE GTA ARE CRAZY!

A friend of mines dad was drunk one night and end up killing someone, Then getting beaten himself.:ee5k: and Manhunt 2? way too over the top.

20. thewiirules123

thewiirules123 Wii Gamer

I am not a "fan" of any shooter games but some I find fun. GTA is really horrible and I discourage anyone from playing it.