What is Right and Wrong?

Boethiah

Sam I Am
Jan 25, 2009
Indiana
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Morality is subjective. When someone is born, that person has no sense of what is right, what is wrong, and what is considered the norm. Over time, whoever raises the child, the environment and society around the child, and the experiences of the child will determine what the child will believe what is right, what is wrong, who is good, who is bad. Morality also changes over time. A hundred years ago, a woman showing her ankle would be considered scandalous. In the U.S today, this is obviously not the case. But it is the case in some middle eastern countries. What is morally O.K one day is not the next.

Morality changes from region to region, and is reliant solely on the region you grow up in. Knowing this, why do some people consider themselves morally superior to others? Why do people consider their religion more accurate than another religion?

More importantly, why are certain things universally looked down upon in all cultures? Why is lying wrong? If it would benefit my in the long run, why shouldn't I lie?

This ties into many social issues in today's world, I'd like to see what WiiChat has to say

Discuss, and pick apart my post as you see fit.

society is different everywhere.
my idea for others is if you have to hide, then dont do it.

Those with a human conscious will create what is right or wrong for themselves (and others), this Universe however, did not itself create a list of things that are truly right & wrong.

I have some morals of my own, but not many.

I think I agree with what everyone has written....

What is right and wrong is how you perceive the world, your perception is impacted by your upbringing and the society around you, everyones upbringing and social networks are different....

So it will always differ.....but there are certain givens, such as killing other people....although even this is quite acceptable in certain regions.... (you can shoot someone with a gun in America and within reason get away with it.....Australia you'd be in just as much trouble).

Anything that hurts something physically or emotionally is immoral, I think.

I have a story. I got into an argument with a female classmate of mine (I should say that this happens very rarely, but I don't like her to begin with) over the origin of morality. She stated flatly that morality was defined by the Ten Commandments and that without God we would not be able to comprehend morality, and I countered that it's impossible to know whether the Ten Commandments influenced human behavior or if human behavior created the Ten Commandments (in the case that they were man-made, and there is no God), but that regardless, morality is something that humans as a species have always been capable of. As do most arguments, it didn't have a definitive conclusion.

I think right and wrong would determine the fairness of a situation. Obviously killing and stealing is wrong because it is unfair. But if you are in war or maybe you steal like lol like robin hood or something, then it becomes a little different. so yeah i think its about fairness....which is also subjective so i guess that doesn't really answer the question.

Morality is subjective. When someone is born, that person has no sense of what is right, what is wrong, and what is considered the norm. Over time, whoever raises the child, the environment and society around the child, and the experiences of the child will determine what the child will believe what is right, what is wrong, who is good, who is bad. Morality also changes over time. A hundred years ago, a woman showing her ankle would be considered scandalous. In the U.S today, this is obviously not the case. But it is the case in some middle eastern countries. What is morally O.K one day is not the next.

Morality changes from region to region, and is reliant solely on the region you grow up in. Knowing this, why do some people consider themselves morally superior to others? Why do people consider their religion more accurate than another religion?

More importantly, why are certain things universally looked down upon in all cultures? Why is lying wrong? If it would benefit my in the long run, why shouldn't I lie?

This ties into many social issues in today's world, I'd like to see what WiiChat has to say

Discuss, and pick apart my post as you see fit.

your right. morals are based entirely on ones upbringing and region.

which is why nothing is ever truely unbiased. everybody knows only what they learned in life. if one person says somebody is wrong, is it true?

maybe. some might think so while others wouldn't

I would say my moral standards come mostly from my upbringing, with a small part being due to my personal philosophies about the world.

Anything that hurts something physically or emotionally is immoral, I think.

I have a story. I got into an argument with a female classmate of mine (I should say that this happens very rarely, but I don't like her to begin with) over the origin of morality. She stated flatly that morality was defined by the Ten Commandments and that without God we would not be able to comprehend morality, and I countered that it's impossible to know whether the Ten Commandments influenced human behavior or if human behavior created the Ten Commandments (in the case that they were man-made, and there is no God), but that regardless, morality is something that humans as a species have always been capable of. As do most arguments, it didn't have a definitive conclusion.
I find it quite annoying- and even offensive- when people suggest that only religious people can have morals. I'm an atheist, and I have morals. I may not keep the Sabbath day holy, but I certainly wouldn't murder someone.

MIGHT IS RIGHT !

I think every body has there own set of rules that they go by

Most of mine are basically along the "Dont be a arsehole" lines

The specific things may change, but generally, hurting other people is morally wrong.

Unless its sport

I find it quite annoying- and even offensive- when people suggest that only religious people can have morals. I'm an atheist, and I have morals. I may not keep the Sabbath day holy, but I certainly wouldn't murder someone.

Haha, I shouldn't get into this.

I do believe that humans just naturally decide what is moral and what isn't in this day and age. There are some religions that take things so literally and it gets way out of hand. The Bible is just, yeah, full of metaphors. If we were all a bunch of kids at the same time, with no adults, we'd more or less kill ourselves.

Religion was the thing to believe in then, so it obviously comes into play with morals. Now it is certainly possible for atheists to have morals, and anyone else for that matter. Just then, 99.9999% of people were religious, so I guess it bags the credit. People were easily led. If everyone was atheist, then there'd be questions for everything and too many people would panic. So yeah, setting up morals had to be associated with religion for people to follow it.

If you call someone who isn't of your religion immoral now because of that then it's just flat out ignorance.

People still manage to have different morals now. Somehow almost everyone has lost touch of what they were taught, I think that this is mainly due to parenting though. I just die a little inside when people litter, IT'S MORALLY WRONG TO ME. So yes, I think that in a century everyone will pretty much do this, same with swearing. No matter how disgusting it is, it's part of language change.

What is right is just what's logical for everyone to be happy. That's... good... isn't it?

I disagree with thatttt... I think morals are quite separate of moral beliefs, I reckon religion just claimed credit for a lot of them. It's not like murdering would have been considered okay without the ten commandments.

Back