what is better

Yes, the PS3's graphic potential [1080p] is greater than that of the Xbox 360 [720p] or the Nintendo Wii [480p].

The PS3's online system is free, but don't expect it to be as user-friendly as Xbox Live.

the online is free and by the sounds of things not to bad. atleast better thans wii's friend code BS.

I was pondering that because I had heard someone mention it before. Then what makes the PS3 unanimously thought as having better graphics?

probably all that blue ray talk...and people saying big words and stuff about its specs....

i don't think blu-ray helps the grpahics kuz blu-ray discs don't they hold like 100gb memory or somethin?

The ps3 does have better graphics because it has cell proccer.The online is great but not as good as the 360,but what can you expect for free.To be honest I owned Ps3 and 360 and i enjoy my PS3 more.

Let me first say that BD (Blueray) doesn't factor in +directly+.

Without getting into a complex technical discussion, let me see if I can answer this. When you say "graphics" there are several components of this that affect the overall graphic presentation.

When you're running around in a 3D world (like Halo or Assassin's Creed) there are several things that affect what you experience:

Framerate/Performance/Speed

This is how fast the world is rendered - if everything slows down when there are more characters on screen, or when you enter an area with complex graphics (like lanterns, buildings, flags blowing, etc.) the experience (that's being simulated) is lessened.

Resolution

The higher the resolution the more details can be rendered into the images/frames - higher resolution also reduces the "jaggies" on hard edges. The concept of anti-aliasing allows the system to blend the hard edges using gradual color changes so the effect is reduced! Anti-aliasing costs some performance.

Textures/Effects/Physics

This is a complex section that I sort of just combined for brevity - basically this is the final visual presentation of the rendered world you see - simple 3D models are shaded and finalized using something called texture maps. Think of like the old computer graphics where every surface is a solid color - that's without texture mapping. In the real world (and modern videogames) the surface of something like your arm (or your character's arm) has lots of varied color and material and things like hair and different level of reflection (your watch is might be super reflective, your arm dull).

Think of how light works in the real world - it reflects off of water, it partially shows through sheer materials. Same thing for something like smoke or snow which is thousands of small particles. How each of those react in a computer simulated world with wind, light, gravity, etc., changes the depth of your experience.

Whew! OK, how a videogame console is able to deal with those various elements is sort of what we call collectively "graphics".

So when people say something very broad like "the PS3 has better graphics" - what they're suggesting is the PS3 can handle one or more of the following better: effects, physics, framerate, textures, etc.

If a system can generate more effects and physics and texture detail while* sustaining 1080p @ 60 frames-per-second - we say the graphics are better.

Hope that helps (and I didn't get too technical!)

Seeya ~

DT

Last edited:
kronau said:
ps3 is the best graffics and online is free unlike 360 with is 100$ for online
go look at any video game website that reviews games. You will find that multiplatform games will be reviewed higher for the 360. Also, xbox live cost $50 a year i dont know where you got 100. And, to me at aroud what 15 cents a days for online play thats well worth it. If your serious about gaming i think youll be able to shell out 50 bucks for a year for gaming. When games cost 60 you can just subtract a game off of your list and your set.

ps3 has more potential, unfortunately for some reason multiplatform games tend to look nicer on the 360.

D1nner said:
No idea lol
Maybe the thought of it costing more = better graphics. But im pretty sure there around the same.

Pretty sure it's actually the fact that the processors are far better on ps3. 360 and ps3 have a fairly similar graphics chip in terms of quality. The 360's chip has amazing graphic architecture, which puts it on par with the ps3's chip. The reason that some multi-platform games have smoother graphics on the 360, is because it's alot easier to make games for.

In about a year or two, we'll see far better graphics on the ps3, solely because developers haven't had enough experience with the ps3 yet. It's just a matter of working out the system.

@ Busterbry: Can I have a link to an ign article where a multi-platform game has been rated higher on 360 than ps3? Something related to graphics.

Back