Well, I'm on the fence about buying a PS3...

Nookslave

WiiChat Member
Oct 10, 2007
I bought my Wii specifically for Smash Brothers, but now that I'm actually playing it, it's just...Smash Brothers. No voice chat, crappiest online available, and just so much more.

So, I'll probably keep my Wii for Animal Crossing Wii, Pikmin 3, Starfox, ect, but I want a new console; Specifically, an Xbox 360 or a PS3.

Now, Here's how I see it.

Xbox 360
------------
+Great online
+A lot of my friends have xbox live
+Some great exclusive games
+Plays HD DVD
+Great graphics

-Pay for online
-HD DVD is now dead
-Not as great graphics as PS3
-Not as many original Xbox games worth playing on the 360

PS3
---------
+Good online and it's free
+Lot's of exclusive games like Drake's Fortune, Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War 3, ect.
+Plays Blu-Ray, which is now the official HD Player
+Amazing graphics
+Humongous library of PS2 games to play like the Jaks, Rachet and Clanks, God of Wars, Kingdom Hearts, ect.

-Not as large of an online community as Xbox Live
-Expensive price if you don't want it stripped of features
-Sixaxis looks like it seriously clogs up control of Warhawk and shooters
-No voice chat (Does it have voice chat? Correct me if I'm wrong)

So, I'm not sure what to buy. Gamewise, I'm leaning towards PS3 because of it's huge library of PS2 games that I have yet to play but really want to (God of War 1&2, Kingdom Hearts 1&2, Grand Theft Auto, Prince of Persia, Jak, Rachet and Clank, ect.) and it's upcoming exclusives like KH3, GoW3, GTA4, and others.

But, a lot of my friends have Xbox Live and want me to get a 360 to play online with them. How is the PS3 community? Large? Friendly?

Please post, I'd like people to add +'s and -'s and give user opinions.

Nookslave said:
I bought my Wii specifically for Smash Brothers, but now that I'm actually playing it, it's just...Smash Brothers. No voice chat, crappiest online available, and just so much more.

So, I'll probably keep my Wii for Animal Crossing Wii, Pikmin 3, Starfox, ect, but I want a new console; Specifically, an Xbox 360 or a PS3.

Now, Here's how I see it.

Xbox 360
------------
+Great online
+A lot of my friends have xbox live
+Some great exclusive games
+Plays HD DVD
+Great graphics

-Pay for online
-HD DVD is now dead

PS3
---------
+Good online and it's free
+Lot's of exclusive games like Drake's Fortune, Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War 3, ect.
+Plays Blu-Ray, which is now the official HD Player
+Amazing graphics
+Humongous library of PS2 games to play like the Jaks, Rachet and Clanks, God of Wars, Kingdom Hearts, ect.

-Not as large of an online community as Xbox Live
-Expensive price if you don't want it stripped of features

So, I'm not sure what to buy. Gamewise, I'm leaning towards PS3 because of it's huge library of PS2 games that I have yet to play but really want to (God of War 1&2, Kingdom Hearts 1&2, Grand Theft Auto, Prince of Persia, Jak, Rachet and Clank, ect.) and it's upcoming exclusives like KH3, GoW3, GTA4, and others.

But, a lot of my friends have Xbox Live and want me to get a 360 to play online with them. How is the PS3 community? Large? Friendly?

Please post, I'd like people to add +'s and -'s and give user opinions.
what does HD DVD being dead have anything to do with the 360?

Err, Kingdom hearts 3 not a confirmed exclusive, in fact, much speculation that it may either move or go multiformat.

Also, I've yet to see something the 360 couldn't do on a PS3. All I see is the same game: i.e. ports.

360 does have some great exclusives. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Dead Rising, Lost Odysey, etc...

Oh, and the PS2 is actually quite cheap to pick up anyway.

Ahh the memories of this decision I made a couple of months back (I went for the PS3 by the way).

All you need to do is decide which one has the exclusives that you want more. It's that simple (although it might not be that simple to decide which ones are better for you - if you can, great!)
So check out the list of exclusives for each and make your choice.

Nookslave said:
Of course, the 360's community is larger than the PS3's, since it has been out a year longer, but the PS3 community is still large. There's always going to be people online - and I've found it's very friendly. But as I said, just see which exclusives you want and decide that way, there's not enough to put the two apart other than the exclusives.

Add to the list that you can play with ME if you get a 360

HD-DVD isn't really a factor for 360 since it was just an add-on. But 360 has Hi def digital downloads.

I have both 360 and PS3 and the graphics are the same so far, so I don't know where you got that from... Also, don't Wii players always say "Graphics isn't everything?"

Paying for online shouldn't be an issule unless you can't afford $4 a month...

Kingdom Hearts 3 is not confirmed and God of War 3 won't be coming until 2009.

Also PS2 games cannot be played on the PS3, so the original PS2 games should not even be a factor. Unless you can find a 80gig/60gig which has been discontinued and are both more expensive.

There is voice chat, but you have to buy yourself a mic seperately. Also not many people talk as much on the PS3. Most games are extremely quiet when compared to 360's online.

You can get the new 80gb in june with B/C with MGS4 and Duelshock 3.I completly agree with Lewi T on all of what he said.

Nookslave said:
Xbox 360
------------
-Pay for online
-HD DVD is now dead

-High failure rate (even with the newer systems)

PS3
---------

Motion control is completely optional for Warhawk and is actually turned off by default.

Most online games do have voice chat (Warhawk even comes with a bluetooth headset if you buy it in stores).

I don't have a 360 to compare with personally, but from what I hear, the 360's community is more active and lively, however things could start to shift once Home (which is free) is up an running.

T3kNi9e said:
Also PS2 games cannot be played on the PS3, so the original PS2 games should not even be a factor. Unless you can find a 80gig/60gig which has been discontinued and are both more expensive.

The 80gb model is still around and it looks like its replacement with the bigger drive will still have the software-based backwards compatibility like the 80gb model.

Last edited:
80gig is still around if you can shop around and find it on the internet. Maybe some smaller stores around. But if you go into a Gamestop/Circuit City/Best Buy/Wal-Mart you will not find a 80gig because it has been discontinued.

But it supposed to come back as a MGS4 bundle which will cost $500

-High failure rate (even with the newer systems)

think about that
one of my friends are in there 4th 360
after he got a ps3
no more problems

do you want to have a system with 36% failure rate
i heard its double 36%

You heard it was double 36%...

That would make it 72% failure rate haha

The highest failure rate reported was 33% and thats 1/3rd of all 360's. The new 360's have cut that in half after surveys have reported that its about 16% now.

Now... I have a 360 and it broke twice on me. One was RROD and 2nd was Disc drive. The disc drive has been updated with a new Samsung drive which im pretty confident it won't break again.

Even after breaking twice, with the disc drive breaking 9 days after recieving my repaired 360 back, I still prefer my 360 over my PS3 simply because online and the games 360 has and is coming. I actually for a second thought about selling my 360 and buying a 2nd PS3, but after looking at my games for 1 second and thinking about the games scheduled for release this year there is no way in hell I would trade in my 360 for any console.

Hell, I rather sell my PS3 and my Wii just so I can keep my RROD loving console.

My friend has a PS3, I have a 360. Who has the better games? Who's getting the most enjoyment out of their purchase?

Me. :) Get a 360, you won't regret it.

Back