Well, I'm on the fence about buying a PS3...

As far as hardware goes, PS3 definitely. But games are what really count. Find out which exclusives you're dying to have and make your decision based on that.

PS3 fo sure.

I have both a 360 and a PS3. I'm not a fanboy. I like the 360, I think it's a great platform, especially Live. But the PS3 is a beast of a machine. You just get so much bang for your buck with it. The PS3 is Sony's crown jewel. They constantly update it. It's really got limitless potential being software based. I think it's just now starting to come into it's own. With Home on the way, in-game XMB, and the software library expanding, you really can't go wrong.

Like I said before, I love Live, Live Arcade...Microsoft has got it going on in that area. But their hardware quality control is horrid. I've had problems with my consoles, first party wireless headsets and controllers. There's really no excuse for first party hardware to be breaking down like that, you might expect it maybe from a cheap 3rd party controller but first party?!?

I love the PS3, actually, I'm thinking about another one so I don't have to move it around contantly depending on whether I'm gaming or watching something on Blu. The PS3 rocks!

I'm kind of upset not owning a 360...I'm missing out on a lot of games. That's what happens when you spend a lot of money on PS3 and Wii stuff!

You know...this is really funny. The last couple of weeks I've been debating about getting another system as well. I love my Wii, but I would also like a variety of other games to play. I own a PS2, and have always been a fan of the way the controls stay the same. I've played the 360 many times at my friends house, and it's ok. All we would play was Halo, which I can't see how someone can play it for 6 hours straight. haha
The Playstation 3 on the other hand seems to have pretty much the same titles as the 360, and the blu-ray player really makes me wanna get one now. I think when the time comes in about two months, i'll definately be purchasing a PS3. I can always go to my friends house if I wanna play the 360 right? ; )

But now is it really true? You can't play PS2 games on the PS3? I thought all were B/C??? I didn't even know the 80gig was disco!! That sucks cuz that was the one I wanted to get. Hopefully you guys are right about them coming out with a bundle pack. It would definately be worth the wait.

Nookslave said:
I bought my Wii specifically for Smash Brothers, but now that I'm actually playing it, it's just...Smash Brothers. No voice chat, crappiest online available, and just so much more.

So, I'll probably keep my Wii for Animal Crossing Wii, Pikmin 3, Starfox, ect, but I want a new console; Specifically, an Xbox 360 or a PS3.

Now, Here's how I see it.

Xbox 360
------------
+Great online
+A lot of my friends have xbox live
+Some great exclusive games
+Plays HD DVD
+Great graphics

-Pay for online
-HD DVD is now dead
-Not as great graphics as PS3
-Not as many original Xbox games worth playing on the 360

PS3
---------
+Good online and it's free
+Lot's of exclusive games like Drake's Fortune, Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War 3, ect.
+Plays Blu-Ray, which is now the official HD Player
+Amazing graphics
+Humongous library of PS2 games to play like the Jaks, Rachet and Clanks, God of Wars, Kingdom Hearts, ect.

-Not as large of an online community as Xbox Live
-Expensive price if you don't want it stripped of features
-Sixaxis looks like it seriously clogs up control of Warhawk and shooters
-No voice chat (Does it have voice chat? Correct me if I'm wrong)

So, I'm not sure what to buy. Gamewise, I'm leaning towards PS3 because of it's huge library of PS2 games that I have yet to play but really want to (God of War 1&2, Kingdom Hearts 1&2, Grand Theft Auto, Prince of Persia, Jak, Rachet and Clank, ect.) and it's upcoming exclusives like KH3, GoW3, GTA4, and others.

But, a lot of my friends have Xbox Live and want me to get a 360 to play online with them. How is the PS3 community? Large? Friendly?

Please post, I'd like people to add +'s and -'s and give user opinions.

The following should decide your answer:

If you have a nice HD set up and plan on watching movies in High Def on Blu-Ray, get a PS3. If not, get a PS2 and 360.

I am most likely getting a PS3 over the summer with my tax rebate just for the Blu-Ray player and MGS4. But I'm not sold enough on it personally.

First, GTA4 is NOT PS3 exclusive.
360 is getting exclusive content for it.

Second, some PS2 games are buggy on PS3.
For a full list of issues, go here: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Third, its flippin' Halo. You have to expect lameness like that.
That why you can mute people.
Call of Duty 4 has no such issues and virtually everyone usually has a mic.

Fourth, Kingdom Hearts 3 is a ways off. They're making three different spin-offs right now.

Fifth, The failure rate of the 360 is moot. You get a three year warranty.

And finally: You can get a 360 and a PS2 for the price of a PS3 and still enjoy the old games you wanted to play, as well as the new ones too.

That's important.
I'm calling it: The PS3 will not be the RPG power house the PS2 was. Look for the 360 and the Wii to take that advantage, with Microsoft finally jumping on the RPG quality bandwagon and the Wii getting games like http://wii.ign.com/objects/892/892457.html

I have a PS3, as well as a Wii and found myself drifting between the two. My friends have 360s, and my friend still tries to defend Halo 3.. but I could go into length about that particular topic.

I know people talk about the 360 and its vaunted exclusives, but aside from Halo 3 and Gears 2, is there much stock to saying that there are that many anymore? Dead Rising's going to Wii, Mass Effect and Gears 1 are both on the PC. There are mountains of multiplatform games. But all that's very much beside my point.

I say, get a 360. The PS3 is not worth your time if you are impatient or discerning about your games collection. There are more than a few exclusives coming out this year, but I don't know how partial you are to waiting for them. God of War 3, Uncharted 2 and inFAMOUS are shaping up to be solid titles, but besides that, you have MotorStorm and Resistance franchises among other less marketed exclusives.
The 360 is not worth your time for just Halo 3 and Gears 2 for that matter, but the earlier multiplatform games are cheaper and are worth your interest, at the very least. I don't like Halo 3, but the emphasis on stealth in ODST seems worth it, even for just five hours of campaign.

Whichever you decide, there is more of a chance now than a couple of years ago that a game developed "exclusively" for the 360 went to PS3 later on, and the same is true of the reverse.
Exclusivity means little now unless that particular corporation owns the IP. So yeah, your call.

Well, the PS3 does support voice chat in most games. And it works rather well. Not to mention that the PS3 offers free online play, unlike the 360 where you have to pay a yearly fee to play games online.
The PS3's controllers have built in rechargable batteries that connect to the system via bluetooth. So basically, you can lay on the couch and play without having to worry about having a clear path between you and the console.
The PS3 has an exchangable HDD that can be switched out without voiding the warrantee or having an extra clunky external HDD laying around. I just put a 320 gig HDD in mine and it took less than 5 minutes, including reinstalling software.
The PS3 does not have RROD issues (red ring of death). It does have occasional yellow light issues (indicating hardware failure) but it is MUCH more rare than the X-box's (less than 1%, compared to the X-box's something like 30%)

The ONLY downside to the PS3 is the lack of good RPG's. But then again, I have Super Mario RPG on the Wii, so that ain't no biggie.
And also, you can only play PS2 games on a PS3 if you have a system that is backwards compatible (not the 40 gig or the new 80 gig)

Back