What the Heck? Ooops.

CaliforniaBeachUSA

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
Has anyone ever tried yet, placing a Wii Game inside a computer? My computer just shot the CD back out after trying to read it for about 20 seconds. I tried it again and it did the same thing. (This was on a Mac Book Pro). Then I tried it in Windows XP Pro and it did the exact same thing. New protection device/code on the CD?

The wii reads the CD backwards (counter clockwise) so it makes sense that a computer couldn't read anything. It's good copy protection on Nintendo's part.

Interesting...Is there anyway to tell a CD-Rom Drive to read a CD backwards? Or a program to do that?

A PC wouldn't even know what to do with the wii data honestly, it would need to be completely redesigned for the pc. Also, 99% sure that Nintendo uses different devices that can write backwards, normal CD drives cannot, mechanically.

I understand about a PC and Wii games. I put it in my drive because sometimes games contain extra bonus content. Guess not for the Wii games though.

It might be worth mentioning that Wii games don't use CD's. . .those are sooo 1990's. Wii's use DVD's. And yes you could get a CD/DVD to run in reverse by switching the +/- leads to the drive motor.

Sorry, I meant DVD. Interesting about reversing the drive, Nintendo wouldn't go to those lengths for adding bonus content, obviously. Wouldn't the negative wire heat up immensely and malfunction? I am skeptical about reversing the wires, but I am not an expert. I just know I accidentally hooked up the wrong wires when I was connecting a USB hub to the usual floppy disk power wire (stripped and connected them) and I got some nice heat and the power went off.

Last edited:
Nope, you'd just be reversing the flow of current which makes the motor spin the other way. I've done this with motors from old toys and stuff.

All the laser sees when it is reading a CD/DVD is a single pit/bump at a time, it can't tell which way the disc is spinning.

Interesting and good way to keep modders from modding but then again, why havent all console companies done this?

Egon Spangler would be upset

csiguy4u said:
Nope, you'd just be reversing the flow of current which makes the motor spin the other way. I've done this with motors from old toys and stuff.

All the laser sees when it is reading a CD/DVD is a single pit/bump at a time, it can't tell which way the disc is spinning.

you should never cross the streams...

:yikes:

did i forget to mention that THAT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA CSIGUY4U if you reverse the onse on the molex connector, it will short it out... you would have to dissect it and find the motor and reverse chords... dumbass

CaliforniaBeachUSA said:
Interesting and good way to keep modders from modding but then again, why havent all console companies done this?
xbox and xbox360 does this. they write the game in reverse and a short little DVD video at normal spin for when you put it in a normal dvd player. its just a short little video followed by a screen saying "please put this game into an xbox console." however this in no way stoped people from modding the original xbox

Back