What you wanna be?

Bliss said:
trying to launch our own company, it pretty tough.

Agreed, but if you have the entrepreneurial gene, it's the only way to go. I'm on my 3rd company (own this one with the wifey), sold my previous to MPS Group back in 2000, was part of an asset purchase on my 1st (minority partner) back when I was 25 (had a couple of tech patents). There is definitely a set of objective concerns about revenue, healthcare, consistency, management, etc., but I think there's more of a deep seated psychological driver that almost +forces+ some people to go it on their own, regardless of the risk. I have an old business partner from my last company that has this to a fault.

I have never stayed tethered too long in a structured corporate type gig. However, I happen to have a skillset which does allow me to switch from indie consultant to small business to Dilbert on demand which gives me a certain amount of mental freedom while I pursue my small enterprise goals (as in: at worst case, I get a "regular job" as needed - though that hasn't really happened, I've have constant offers).

~DT

[DT] said:
Agreed, but if you have the entrepreneurial gene, it's the only way to go. I'm on my 3rd company (own this one with the wifey), sold my previous to MPS Group back in 2000, was part of an asset purchase on my 1st (minority partner) back when I was 25 (had a couple of tech patents). There is definitely a set of objective concerns about revenue, healthcare, consistency, management, etc., but I think there's more of a deep seated psychological driver that almost +forces+ some people to go it on their own, regardless of the risk. I have an old business partner from my last company that has this to a fault.

I have never stayed tethered too long in a structured corporate type gig. However, I happen to have a skillset which does allow me to switch from indie consultant to small business to Dilbert on demand which gives me a certain amount of mental freedom while I pursue my small enterprise goals (as in: at worst case, I get a "regular job" as needed - though that hasn't really happened, I've have constant offers).

~DT

wow that an very impressive track u got there...umm..yea it tough for us to get our name out there and for people to hire us...a lot people want designers with a min. of 4 yrs exp. but i mean come on we are fresh out of college, we know more about the software and the design aspect then ur 40 yr old men workin for u..but its tough we are in the process of mappin out our site. right now all our clients are either friends or the companies that we work for and other firms in our building.

honestly, i want to drop out and be a rock star. i used to be in a band for 6 years or so, best experience of my life.

BUT if that doesn't happen i kinda want to produce bands/work at a label with AD/PR or possibly like the web site of a label (IST)

i'm undecided right now though. picked my spring sem. classes last night:)

Stick with it, we never hired any designers based on their formal schooling (though it helped of course, even if indirectly) so much as their portfolio, personality and attention to detail (I'm pretty good at identifying capable people). We had some amazing designers (full on understanding of print, web, brand equity management, etc.).

Side note: be careful about the "know more than X age" though - experience goes a long way in some cases - if I'm hiring a high end architect and I have a candidate who recently deployed the Freddie Mac backend handling 1500/TPS, that goes a long way. Don't get fooled into thinking that people under 30 have some exclusive handle on current technology because they use MySpace :D

I think the accountant backup strategy was outstanding. That gives you decent cashflow in a reasonably stable environment while you navigate potential design opportunities. If you've got the bandwidth, you can keep doing both and build your (real world/production) design skills, expand your portfolio and possibly stumble on a unique gig that might let you jettison your accountant role!

Best of luck!

DT

yea i agree what ur saying about the age thing but ok granted my portfolio isnt as strong as i would want it to be but ..."ideas"...thats where i think a younger generation would come more into play (not just talkin for myself), i mean the things kids think about and create now a days are remarkable...also u look at all these boring websites for major companies, i mean theres nothing there but text and a few pics...ok ok i know wat ur gonna say that its a business they want to get to the point and thats it, but come on who really is gonna sit there a read and read and read, or wouldnt u rather the site tell it to u and visually show u...

and yes the accounting gig i got now really does help i got introduced to a lot of other clients that are in this building and i have a lot of free time to work on projects.

I’m doing a BTEC National Diploma in Media Production [Moving Image] course at college [I do like to say the full name thank you very much]

And although most of my mates are breaking into different areas [Script Writing, Floor Manager]
I’m the only one who wants to be a Camera Man haha

Bliss said:
..."ideas"...thats where i think a younger generation would come more into play (not just talkin for myself), i mean the things kids think about and create now a days are remarkable...

I'd suggest it's age independent and more a result of the person's intellectual process - creative people tend to be that way their whole life. My ex partners, designers, etc., are still on the cutting edge (my partner from the previous enterprise, is doing kinetic, interactive sculptures and immersive LCD based art). Pick up a copy of Wired and checkout the source of the new, the leading edge, etc., it's a mix of creative thought from all ages and demographics. When we were working with iXL, Modem Media, etc., the stratification of people was amazing.

Bliss said:
...also u look at all these boring websites for major companies, i mean theres nothing there but text and a few pics...ok ok i know wat ur gonna say that its a business they want to get to the point and thats it, but come on who really is gonna sit there a read and read and read, or wouldnt u rather the site tell it to u and visually show u...

Well, this is a totally different conversation :D No, I wouldn't say that exactly - what I would say is the goals of brand equity, corporate communication and consumer self service can result in a wide disparity of final solutions. When we developed agent-client communication portals for Blue Cross/Blue Shield it was a massive difference in the product we deployed for Tropicana. Sometimes you need to get down the nitty-gritty and provide concise, text based content (the "read and read..." kind) [BCBS] and other times you want to engage the user and reinforce your brand through interactive games and "edutainment" [Trop].

I ordered a replacement sideburner a few weeks ago for our grill (we live at the beach, everything tends to dissolve :lol:) and the company site I ordered from didn't clutter the experience of finding a simple item by part# with Flash, needless interactivity, and other "tech for the sake of tech" BS. I was a very happy consumer, so it did exactly what it was designed to do.

Well, I mentioned this in a different thread but I have low self esteem and no ability as such.

I would like to do Pakour but I do not have the shape/build for it.

I am planning on going to college and university, either technological media (saw a course about this), performing arts or something along these lines.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Well, I mentioned this in a different thread but I have low self esteem and no ability as such.

Dude, you just haven't *found* it yet :yesnod:

Cpt.McCloud said:
I would like to do Pakour but I do not have the shape/build for it.

I could toss you off a building? That might force your hand.

"Shoulder roll! Shoulder roll!"

Ideally, a political strategist or the principal flutist in an orchestra.

[DT] said:
Dude, you just haven't *found* it yet :yesnod:

Meh, I just dont think I will find even if it is there =/

[DT said:
I could toss you off a building? That might force your hand.

"Shoulder roll! Shoulder roll!"

I think it would be awesome to do the roof jumping stuff but the things I prefer are the obstacles and the climbing also I seen videos of roof jumping going horribly wrong =/

it seems to me no matter wat u go to school for u always end up doing something else...just my expierance though

When I grow up, I want to be a Fireman! Nah...

I don't know what to do since I got ages left as a student (currently in Year 9 to the UKnians). Being a Computer Engineer who builds computers and programs and stuff seems like an awesome job which may pay loads. No, I'm not a Super Special Awesome Mega Ultra Nerdy Geek Guy. Just a person who knows quite a bit for his age.

I'm looking at going into some aspect of law. Haven't decided which yet.

Back