What's the point of the Wii web browser?

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
Perhaps I am wrong in this assumption, but don't at least most of you folks own a computer? If so, what's the point of using the Wii web browser? It's slower (no keyboard), can do less (can you watch movies, play games, etc?), etc. So what's the advantage other than the gimmick of using your Wii as a web browser? It seems like a waste of $5+.

The only reason most people have it (including me) is because it was free up until June 2007. After that, it cost $5. Now, you're right, if you have a computer, there is no point in purchasing it.

Actually in my house there are 5 kids, I have a laptop, My brother has a comp, and my other brother has a comp aswell. but my 2 sises dont, so they have to ask us if they wanna use the net, but now we tell them to go on the wii. For us its a damn gud technology.

when I am lazy to get up I use it though I since I just got an iPod touch I am using its browser a lot more

I find it a lot easier to use if you are on wiichat. People will give you their wii codes and you can just enter them right away onto your wii...laziness mostly lol

i use it when everyone at my house is already using our comp. ...

I got it when it was free too. I used it once. I typed in www.google.com and was amused to see it on my TV for 2.4 seconds, and then I moved on with life and never opened the useless application again.

there is actually a load of things that you can do on the wii browser that are cool. You can stream all you files to your tv using ORB which is good if you don't have a massive computer screen and if ninty didn't include a wii browser everyone would moan. you can also play some good online games made for use with the wii remote.

It's slower (no keyboard)
The Wii supports USB keyboards and, in my experience, the Wii Browser actually loads a tad faster than my computer's browser.
can do less (can you watch movies, play games, etc?)
Yes, you can watch videos and play games; the Wii Browser supports Flash.
So what's the advantage other than the gimmick of using your Wii as a web browser? It seems like a waste of $5+.
The advantage, as I see it, is having an extra outlet for Internet access when any and all others around you are taken. It's not worth the $5, but I got it for free.

yeah my internet connection is only 2.2mbps and is wired but when i use my USB connector the internet connection to my wii is about 54.0 mbps

(so is faster for anyone cries at the sight of numbers)

Its just something else to have for Wii owners.
Surely we may say a good update for it, which may amaze some. You never know.

And yes on most sites (not all) it runs faster than when you use your computer to go on sites.

most of you might think its useless, but really you have to use it to see the difference. my computer suck, so compared to the wii its trash. i have a good internet connection on both my wii and pc. wii is faster at loading pages. also about a month ago the wii version of the opera borwser just sent there SDK's out public. so now you can play MMO on your browser with wii controls.

I used it to play Youtube videos through my sound system.

What's all this about paying $5 for it, though? I never paid any money for mine, and it still works fine...

Back