Why no region protection?

FRuMMaGe

Waluigi's #1 Fan!
Dec 18, 2006
England
Wii Online Code
2482-6460-3144-9934
I love the fact that the DS has no region protection whatsoever, but why?

Why would Ninty do this to themselves?

Allmost every hand held has no region lockouts

Its something to do with it being a self containded unit (the screen is part of it)

well think of it this way.... the DS is a portable unit.... consider you go to Europe for one of your vacations and you decide to bring you DS along.... and you finish you game and see one that you are interested in .... then you can buy it ^^

i believe at least 50% of ppl will use their DS during their vacations and even if there are not as many ppl who buy games on their vacations there still are ppl who do

So, really the ONLY reason that ANYTHING has region coding is that the major movie houses (Disney, Fox, WB, Etc.) realized that with the conversion to a digital system from an analog system, it would allow people in different countries, with different price points, would be able to play each others versions.

With cassettes, both video and audio, the difference in power frequencies prevented this.

So an artificial system was added to simulate this incompatablity.

Basically, any system NOT using a form of Disc (CD, DVD, UMD) doesn't have Region Protection.
Back in grade school, a good friend of mine had like five Japanesse Import games for his NES.

And the end result off all this is, I got Phoenix Wright, Justice for All like 6 months before it came out in the US and beat it just about the time it hit our shelves, because it had the English version already on it.

TiwazTyrsfist said:
And the end result off all this is, I got Phoenix Wright, Justice for All like 6 months before it came out in the US and beat it just about the time it hit our shelves, because it had the English version already on it.

I got pokemon Red (the first version) about a year before it was out in the UK and saw the ending got bored with it and lost it
All that before the craze took off in the UK

Back