Wii 2?

Syntax said:
I assume the new slogan for the second Wii shall be one of the following..

"Wii two would like to play" Or "Wii too would like to play"

hehe, clever....clever

anyway...hmmmm, i dont know if i want to spend 250 bucks for a new one.........

Furballer said:
I'm fairly certain that the reason Nintendo sells HDMI cables is because the Wii can already support them...

Link to Nintendo branded HDMI cable for the Wii?

Again - not to flog a horse that's already ground meat - the Wii video output port is POST D/A (Digital-to-Analog) conversion. It is ANALOG. You're not going to use a cable-only and magically get back to digital.

It will require some inline electronics like provided in this $200 solution by Gefen:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4425

A firmware/OS level patch isn't going to change the fundamental hardware design. The X360 was patched to provide improved HD via COMPONENT (i.e., Analog). To get an HMDI capable 360 you have to buy one with the output specification designed into the hardware.

~DT

I dont get why they are worried about people getting tired. Graphics have nothing to do with the quality of the game. Final Fantasy 7 for he PS1 to this day remains my favorite game and it has horrible graphics. It's realy just not a big deal. I mean sure they're nice, but it's a luxury and it doesn't really matter.

sagema said:
The reason they made this comment is simple logic. In 2009(maybe later) they want to make it mandatory for everyone in the USA to own an HD TV. Otherwise we won't be able to watch TV. HD TVs are far from better than regular TVs, they lag, don't last as long, and are godly expensive. I feel better TVs are around the corner, forcing this down our throats shows what a start off failure HD has had in the US.

I bought a new TV last year and they can go to hell if they want me to sink $1000 on a HD TV in 2009. I'll buy it when I feel it's worth buying. I have bills to pay, entertainment is last on my list of things to spend money on.

BTW, the FCC DTV 2009 transition which I believe is what you're referring to is just Digital - HD is not implied. Analog only sets will need a box (to be provided through your content provider), but HD capable is not part of the agreement.

So even if you have an old Sony 27" Trinitron, with an Analog tuner, with the proper box, you'll be able to watch subscribed TV or OTA.

~DT

krisv2010 said:
dang i can't wait till that comes out, just think wii controls with good graphics that will be sweet.

Edit: i wonder if they'll somehow let us take our VC games off of our old wii and put them on the new one?

they probably will. i cant see them screwing their customers over like that. you probably input your wii number and crap.

Whoever's saying the Wii 2 is coming out too soon is right. I mean the Wii just came out less then a year ago, and the Wii 2 is coming out in 2 years?! When the PS2 came out, the PS3 came out like at least 5 years after...

krisv2010 said:
dang i can't wait till that comes out, just think wii controls with good graphics that will be sweet.

Edit: i wonder if they'll somehow let us take our VC games off of our old wii and put them on the new one?
u can save ur channels on a sd card so yeah u can

I don't know why they would make a Wii 2 when it's almost the beginning of 2008 and yet, Wii consoles are still hard to find. It takes roughly 5-7 years before a new generation of consoles comes out. And looking at it, it will most likely come out 2012, or maybe even 2013 depending how time passes by.

What they could do is some kind of firmware update or maybe a add on of some kind for a boost in graphics or possibly some kind of online database like Xbox Live. I'd like that much better.

And saying it's Wii 2 is stretching it (according to the article), I'd say it's a big update instead.

Last edited:
Furballer said:
The Wii's graphics already have a higher-definition picture, as long as you use the HDMI cables you can buy for it. I have to say that with these cables, Link is about twice as sexy in Twilight Princess as he was without the cables =3 It's not 1080p, but it works just fine. The Wii was designed for GAMES, not interactive DVDs, like the PS3.

Could you post a link to a place that sells HDMI cables for the Wii? I have never seen these.

Last edited:
Guys the fact that this thread has grown this big is kinda pointless.

These were claims made by a analyst that are totally unconfirmed and ungrounded.
There is no reason to believe that Nintendo would go with something as simple as a firmware upgrade to substantially increase the graphical capabilities of their console..it seems illogical that that is even possible considering this is the wii we're talking about here.

If you break down the wii it is made of mostly inexpensive technology that is utilized in a fun and appealing way. That is why so many MS/Sony fanboys claim its "novelty" will wear out. The accelerometers in the wiimotes that make it such a joy to use are terribly inexpensive.
The system was not built to be the new X box 1 (by that I mean that at the time the x box 1's graphics card and rendering capbilities trumped the current generation of PC graphics cards). The wii can ALMOST match the xbox 1's graphics only there are still some complex renderers and shaders that reportedly the wii just doesn't have the muscle for.

The wii was made to be an affordable means to enjoying digital entertainment brought to you in a new way (not new i know but this has to be the first time I've seen motion sensitive gaming done right)

Even if it is true that nintendo is hard at work making their new HD console we still got a long time before it hits shelves. They most likely are trying to design it at the moment and before they do that they need to re-calculate their budget.
Considering the fact that this is the most ambitious I've seen nintendo since the early 90's back in the 16-bit era, they have to get used to being the popular kind in town again.
Their attempt at rivaling the ps1 with the n64, although it gave us some of the greatest games in history, failed. Then there was the Game cube with its mini-disc format that so many developers found unfriendly or hard to code for, failed mostly due to lack of 3rd party titles, as well as online support.

Now finally they get their **** together. They acknowledge the fact that there is an internet and have sold thousands of dollars in VC games.
They still have yet to jump into the pool of serious online gaming but considering the commanding presence held by Microsoft in that arena can you blame them for being intimidated, and afraid to throw away millions on a move that if not received well could spell doom for their company?
This is supposed to be their triumphant comeback, and if it is to be a success then they can't go all out making groundless promises. They can promise dvd-playback (which they haven't) but will you want it if means sacrificing half or a quarter (mere speculation) of your wii's internal memory to download this DVD channel? That would most likely hinder the amount of space you have left for other things like VC titles, Miis,ect. I think a external device would be a much more realistic alternative.
Then you also have the issue of memory. The fact that MySims reportedly taxes the wii enough so that you can hear (what i presume is the fan) straining to keep up with the heat generated from the processors. This is going to become an issue if you simply wanted to update the graphics drivers overnight via patch, then how would you go about increasing the internal memory to have enough to support said graphics? Mandatory recall of all wiis? I think not.

The success of the wii is based off a simple formula..fun,inexpensive to buy/make,warm/inviting. That is the reason the wii does well. They finally took a gamble and had it pay off. Good for them. Now they need to strategies how to keep the success going using the unexpected success/profits from wii sales. They still haven't got it just right yet, but at least they're moving in the right direction again (finally).

So if HD is THAT important to you as a gamer and you simply MUST have Mario in Hi-Def then you're just gonna have to wait a bit longer until The Big N can afford to create a system built to support HD. But like Ninty said most people still have regular Tv's in the home so there is no reason as of yet to make the customer invest in HD technology when it isn't even he standard yet. Just wait till next-gen. Then we will have Hi-Def and hopefully a system with horsepower to rival that of the ps4 or new xbox (whatever they may call it)..just have patience, and faith and nintendo won't let you down. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
gnahc79 said:
+1 on what [DT] said...not possible
both amazon and ebay return 0 results for "wii hdmi" and "nintendo hdmi"

My mistake, I forgot to add that they were component cables for HDTV's to enhance the visuals, instead of actual HDMI cables.

MRCOOLGH said:
Congratulations mrpiddly your the biggest idiot in America. The wii is already way ahead of PS2 technology and excels in 80-85% of the first Xbox technology wise. its just that it has some problems in some areas so get your facts sthraight.

i think the even funnier part was that you thought i was serious. :lol:

On a side note, the wii is underpowered compared to other counsels. This does not mean that the wii has bad games. On the contrary, it has fun and creative games (or so others claim, i usually get bored of most wii games after an hour or two). It is creative though.

technology doesnt always win, yet i think that price does.

mrpiddly said:
i think the even funnier part was that you thought i was serious. :lol:

On a side note, the wii is underpowered compared to other counsels. This does not mean that the wii has bad games. On the contrary, it has fun and creative games (or so others claim, i usually get bored of most wii games after an hour or two). It is creative though.

technology doesnt always win, yet i think that price does.

price, innovative, and positive feedback from consumers push the wii to new people. Reaching out to all ages, even the elders are playing wii sports =P. All Nintendo needs now is to bring us games that keep us hooked for hours.

Back