Wii 2?

The Wii's current chipset can actually handel up to 720P i believe ( could be higher im not sure. ) Nintendo just chose to limit it to 480P (even tho they did it WRONG) because anything higher would cause a unstable FPS in games.

PtonJalken said:
The Wii's current chipset can actually handel up to 720P i believe ( could be higher im not sure. ) Nintendo just chose to limit it to 480P (even tho they did it WRONG) because anything higher would cause a unstable FPS in games.

I think someone probably just looked at the framebuffer and calculated it can store a 1280x720 frame, but the fact that the system can't sustain the reference FPS really means it doesn't support higher than 480i/p (if support means within the reference specification).

Plus there's low level considerations about addressing the memory required to manage 720+, moving higher resolution textures, etc.

Do you have a link to any technical support documentation that discusses 720+ support?

(I'll also have to mention my standard 720-1080 issue through component with certain displays because of HDCP).

~DT

Back