Wii almost fried!! Do NOT use standby!

Wii20

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2006
I was doing a weather update and forgot to switch the standby option in wii connect24 to off. 4 hours later I notice the orange light (which means its still connected to the internet) and the blue light where you put the games glowing bright to dim (I dont know why it was doing that). I take the remote and try to turn on the wii, the warning screen comes on and then it automatically shuts off;with no red or orange light as if it wasn't connected to the power at all!!!. I tried turning it on, to no avail. That is when I noticed that it was BURNING HOT. The smell that was coming out of those fan ducts on it was similar to the smell coming out of a hair dryer after using it for a long time on the hottest option. After like 5 min, I took off the power plug and reconnected it, and the red light came on, and it booted normally. However, I have feeling that its life just got shortened dramatically and I want to switch it for another Wii; Is it possible to transfer my wii shop account to the wii I switch it for?

I've used standby mode since the US November launch with no ill effects. I'm not saying you are not having a problem, but a call for everyone to not use standby seems like a knee-jerk reaction as millions of us are having no problems.

If your Wii was really that hot, then I suggest perhaps an internal fan or other component has malfunctioned in your Wii and is not cooling the unit properly. You might wish to call Nintendo.

Not sure about that one unless the Wii was not in an open area. I keep my Wii on Standby all the time and I haven't seen any heat issues. I get the blue CD feed light but that's only when I receive a message from one of my board buddies or if someone sends me a new Wii.

As far as I'm concerned the Wii has it's issues with freezing. Not sure what is causing that yet and Nintendo Tech support is not helping very much. But your best bet is to make sure that the Wii is in an open area for proper ventalation and if it freezes just hold the power button down till it goes red.

If it keeps freezing after a possible next update then call Nintendo Support for a possible defective Wii

It was in an opened ventilated area; you could be right btw, it could be a broken ventilating fan , bec i didnt feel any air bieng blown. If I exchange it at the retail place where i got it (Toys r us) , would i be able to transfer my wii shop account to the new one?

Wii20 said:
It was in an opened ventilated area; you could be right btw, it could be a broken ventilating fan , bec i didnt feel any air bieng blown. If I exchange it at the retail place where i got it (Toys r us) , would i be able to transfer my wii shop account to the new one?
I would have to say, you are goin to have to ask Nintendo on that one...

Klywak said:
I would have to say, you are goin to have to ask Nintendo on that one...

Agreed that seems like there would be something internal that they would have to do about that one.

match002001 said:
Agreed that seems like there would be something internal that they would have to do about that one.

Hmm, and about your fans, Im sure they might be able to put your games back on, no garuntees,

but i don't think they knew that this might happen.. reggies...

OMG MATCH!! your here too?? OMG

my guess is that its like a computer, over time it can heat up and cause damage......ill remember not to use standby......actually, i had no idea it even had a standby mode on it i just automatically shut it off when im done using it (force of habit with video game systems i guess)

i agree with a vast majority of the people on giving nintendo a call....seeing as how these are pretty much BRAND NEW, they might take care of your problem....if not, then immediately take it to your retailer in which you purchased the item from and demand a new one.....maybe you got a defective one from the ware house? who knows.

either way i hope your problem does get resolved! best of luck

Hmmmmm, i'd say you've got an issue.......

WiiConnect24 has been on for me since Dec 7 launch here in Australia. I've used a laser temp gun to see what sort of temperatures the Wii gets to, and measuring all over the console (disc slot, underside, rear vent grate etc etc) i've never seen it hotter than 38.9 degrees and that was in the middle of the day when it was 30+ degrees outside and no aircon on inside.

when u use standby and want to turn it OFF without all the control menu things

just hold the off button on the console a few sec.

then it turns off and not standby

the next normal on / off will result in the standby again

I just got off with Nintendo CS. They asked me the usual questions (what was in it , how was it positioned etc...) and took down info and they said there going to send me a prepaid box to send the wii back to them for repair. They said itll take between 2-3 WEEKS :frown2: to get the wii back! Rep also tried to discouarge me from taking it back to TRU for an exhange even though, I know they would exchange it and I would have gone if I hadn't downloaded all those virtual console games. Since I linked my purchases with "my nintendo" account; I am gonna try to link the account on my friend's wii and see if I could redownload them again ; If I could, I'll just go back and exchange it for another one. I'll update on how it goes. Thanks guys!

Wii20 said:
I just got off with Nintendo CS. They asked me the usual questions (what was in it , how was it positioned etc...) and took down info and they said there going to send me a prepaid box to send the wii back to them for repair. They said itll take between 2-3 WEEKS :frown2: to get the wii back! Rep also tried to discouarge me from taking it back to TRU for an exhange even though, I know they would exchange it and I would have gone if I hadn't downloaded all those virtual console games. Since I linked my purchases with "my nintendo" account; I am gonna try to link the account on my friend's wii and see if I could redownload them again ; If I could, I'll just go back and exchange it for another one. I'll update on how it goes. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the update!

Back