Wii almost fried!! Do NOT use standby!

I have had mine on standby since I got it without issue. It DID lock up once (the whole BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR thing.)

It is also warmer when in standby than on, but not hot enough for concern.

Got a cat? (my sony dvd player burned up once because a cat of mine slept next to it for about a month...hairy!)

I hate standby my system is hella warm even if its been 24 hours after playing! i unplug it every night. the reason why i do this is the same reason why i turn off my compouter for a while before gaming. a hot processor/gpu tends to effect gaming frame rates. is it safe to unplug it all the time?

I wouldn't see a problem with it. Also one thing that I have noticed is that the power suppy in the Wii tends to get warm on it's own. Unplugging it every night would help it cool down but in reality it's pointless

yeah, i like to recieve messages overnight, so i use standby, and as long as i dont experience MAJOR problems, i wouldnt do the unplug/plug thing. cause you'll wear out the powercord! xD

climbatiz said:
cause you'll wear out the powercord! xD

Good point and the connector as well. Plus if the power adapter is plugged into the wall and not the Wii then I believe it sits there just storing energy and there may be a chance that the power supply might pop.

I had a similar situation but it was my computer and the outlet had a cell phone charger on it before I plugged my computer it. *POP* *SMOKE* *I CRY*:lol:

Understanding power supplies

match002001 said:
Good point and the connector as well. Plus if the power adapter is plugged into the wall and not the Wii then I believe it sits there just storing energy and there may be a chance that the power supply might pop. :nonod:

I had a similar situation but it was my computer and the outlet had a cell phone charger on it before I plugged my computer it. *POP* *SMOKE* *I CRY*:lol:

It makes no difference if the power adapter is plugged into the Wii or not.

The situations are not similar and have nothing to do with each other!

Please don't spread thoughts not based on reality, Not a personal attack here just don't make stuff up as you go. :nono:
Power Supplies only have 2 functions, either they condition the A/C power with a filter so the power fluctuates less, OR they Transform the A/C power to D/C and which fluctuates less by nature.
The Wii uses 12Volts 3.7Amps power Direct Current. Taken straight from the transformer. (Soap on a rope type)
Transformers are warm to the touch when working, They do NOT store any electricty, they are not capasitors! (electronic small batteries) They are warm because they waste energy when converting the A/C to D/C, wasted energy is produced as heat.

The outlet your cell phone was plugged into likely has loose terminals that caused a short when you plugged in you computer. It is the outlets fault not the cell phone transformer's. If the plug does not stay tight in the receptacle (outlet) the receptacle should be replaced, each year there thousands of home fires started from defective receptacles. Bedroom circuits are now required by law in most states to have a special circuit breaker that prevents this type of fire (AFCI). Sorry to hear your went "Pop". Hope your computer did not Pop as well.

As to the point of this thread, if you turn off your computer each night then you should turn off the Wii also. If you are comfortable with leaving it on then under most curcimstances the Wii could be left in Standby mode. Either way keep pet hair and dust out of the Wii's air intake system and you should not have any problems. Original poster has a malfunctioning cooling system and should return the unit to the factor for warranteed repairs.

Renron

Oh I meant my computer power supply popped I have to replace it long ago. nut that's some good info thanks for that.

match002001 said:
Good point and the connector as well. Plus if the power adapter is plugged into the wall and not the Wii then I believe it sits there just storing energy and there may be a chance that the power supply might pop.

lmao, wow thats really something! anyways thanks for quoting me :smilewinkgrin:

anyways, if that was the case, nintendo wouldnt have made a stand by mode if they knew the machine was going to be shut down because of the hotness, of course they replaced those straps on the wiimote... so who knows. and that processor maybe too much for nintendo to handle, expecially on a unit as small as the wii and with those little fans.

I'm a computer technician and treat my wii just like the computer due to the fact that consoles are pretty much computers, just geared toward games.

Turn the thing off every night while you sleep. Who cares if you miss someone sending you their Mii or writing you a message. When your fantasy life starts to overtake your reality life because you can't force yourself to turn off your wii due to mii's, internet, etc...that's when you should worry.

ImageFX said:
I'm a computer technician and treat my wii just like the computer due to the fact that consoles are pretty much computers, just geared toward games.

Turn the thing off every night while you sleep. Who cares if you miss someone sending you their Mii or writing you a message. When your fantasy life starts to overtake your reality life because you can't force yourself to turn off your wii due to mii's, internet, etc...that's when you should worry.

well, if im not mistaking, computers have standby modes as well. and the part you are saying to "worry about" is part of having a wii. wheres the fun at? and many big biusesses keep there computer on standby so they can start using it w/o the wait time, but i shouldnt be telling you these things cause ur supposed to know this stuff Mr. "computer technician"

climbatiz said:
well, if im not mistaking, computers have standby modes as well. and the part you are saying to "worry about" is part of having a wii. wheres the fun at? and many big biusesses keep there computer on standby so they can start using it w/o the wait time, but i shouldnt be telling you these things cause ur supposed to know this stuff Mr. "computer technician"

You're correct, most businesses do. But we aren't talking about a business. We are talking about people worried about their wii frying. So, you take 5secs to turn the power off at night, wake up, take 5 more seconds to turn power on. This eliminates all the worry of this thread.

climbatiz said:
of course they replaced those straps on the wiimote... so who knows. and that processor maybe too much for nintendo to handle, expecially on a unit as small as the wii and with those little fans.

Well I heard about the straps thing, but ours seem to be working quite well, we haven't sent ours in for a replacement, and our straps Haven't broken.

It goes to show how the people are using the controller that makes it break, my hand is always firmly gripping the controller.

Klywak said:
Well I heard about the straps thing, but ours seem to be working quite well, we haven't sent ours in for a replacement, and our straps Haven't broken.

It goes to show how the people are using the controller that makes it break, my hand is always firmly gripping the controller.

Mine is as well, but accidents allways happen, so its better to get something that you know is stronger than what you currently have!

ImageFX said:
You're correct, most businesses do. But we aren't talking about a business. We are talking about people worried about their wii frying. So, you take 5secs to turn the power off at night, wake up, take 5 more seconds to turn power on. This eliminates all the worry of this thread.

i have said before that i cant make people do stuff, so if they dont want to take my advice, i dont really care, if they are that concerned, you might as well not go outside, or you might get shot, but thats how the world is these days, you cant walk out ur front door without a gun. and the biz thing was just an example.

Climbatiz: Mine is as well, but accidents allways happen, so its better to get something that you know is stronger than what you currently have!

Yea, But im seeing how far i can go with mine till it does break.
Honestly.. did everyone know how durable the controllers are? I punched my Treadmill with it in my hand, and i have thrown it at the ground, and they still don't even have a dent. :mad2:

Back