Wii at Hotels/Campsites

Whats This Called

What kind of server is this. I would like to know so that I could work on a solution. I thought maybe it was a proxy sever only because I have no idea what a proxy server is. But i'm hoping it has a name. They use the same thing in StarBucks ( please not that I'm not a fancy person who needs Starbucks and I am OK with Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donught's). LOL

vagrant said:
What does MAC cloning have to do with anything? That is changing the MAC address on the router. We are talking about NICs.
You forgot to read the rest of the post. My story of VOIP attacks used man in the middle ARP poisoning which is based on MAC spoofing on the windows client! There are many tools available to help do this but the easiest to configure is cain and able.

edit: MAC cloning on a router is the same considering many routers are running embedded Linux.

Last edited:
ciper said:
You forgot to read the rest of the post. My story of VOIP attacks used man in the middle ARP poisoning which is based on MAC spoofing on the windows client! There are many tools available to help do this but the easiest to configure is cain and able.

edit: MAC cloning on a router is the same considering many routers are running embedded Linux.

How are they a same? You are comparing assigning a MAC Address to a Router to spoofing the mac of a NIC.

And I read your entire post...not sure what it has to do with anything...

vagrant said:
How are they a same? You are comparing assigning a MAC Address to a Router to spoofing the mac of a NIC.

And I read your entire post...not sure what it has to do with anything...
I've removed the portion about the MAC on a home router. Now my entire post is about changing the MAC address of a NIC on a PC.

Ill give you an analogy to help you understand why its possible to change the MAC. You are under the assumption that a NIC functions like an external serial modem. The overwhelming majority of NICS are more like a Winmodem where the processing is done by your CPU and driver rather than onboard. Some have partial offloading to increase performance but those are server class with extremely high throughput.

If you have the right driver and software it is easy to fool even high end switches to send you traffic by generating packets with a MAC that doesnt match whats burned onto the eeprom of the card. This is how the man in the middle attack worked above.

I know that sounds like a temporary change but many adapters have the option to save a custom MAC into the portion of the registry where the driver saves its settings. This allows you to retain the same "fake" MAC at all* times. *Most low end adapters change the MAC to default when the machine is powered down and you are using magic packets for WOL.

Now for the removed portion of the post
How do you explain the MAC cloning feature of most routers? They will clone the MAC of the PC your using connected on the LAN side to the WAN interface of the router in order to trick your ISP into thinking your computer is still connected.
Home routers aren't different than your computer. If you have ever hacked a Tivo you will understand what I mean. Many of them use the same chipset as that wired/wireless NIC in your PC and some even have a regular PCMCIA wireless card inside.
The interfaces on the home router still come with a MAC assigned from the specific manufacturers range and can be identified easily. They still print a sticker on the bottom listing the default MAC address.
Running a "standard" OS on the router is what allowed people to write so many custom applications. Look at the crazy stuff that is available for the WRT54G. People have attached screens and drives to it, turned it into a pay access point, create slow VPN links or even host a website.
But I guess this is way off topic from my original off topic discussion about chaning MACs

Last edited:
But you see the reason why I put "change" in quotes, is because you never technically change the manufacture imprinted MAC on a NIC. You can spoof it yes.

Your like so messed up lolz

ganton said:
I think that your major problem is that you are using internet explorer on a mac. wtf is wrounge with you use safari or at leastfire fox this will fix the problem

What does this have to do with it? Lol I ask a question about connecting my Wii to wireless and then you say my problem is i'm trying to use Internet Explorer on a Mac, I don't even have a Mac lol

I thought it was deleted and then boom there it was, this was my thread and i can bumb it whenever I damn well please lol, jk

yeah you can, but you're basically making a..never mind not going to say anything to that..

go on your wiichat option and find where it says Email notification and put it to (no email Notification)

do you have usb>wii network adapter? If so use a crossover cable out of your laptop and use IC Sharing.

If not perhaps if you have a wireless router with run out to that?

its was actually pretty interesting, i enjoyed reading their arrguments. learned a little bit as well.

Back