wii damage

ulpia

WiiChat Member
Mar 10, 2008
Hello, I have a wii with a modchip and :mad5: a friend of mine told me that if i run a usa or jap update on my pal wii it wil ruin my wii. Is this really possible? can somebody tell me if this is true.
Thanx G :mad5:

Waky Wii said:
It is possible, as these updates usually have some sort of program that will attempt to brick your wii. You should contact the company of the chip to see if it will damage your wii.

Out of curiosity, what type of chip is it?

Welcome to WiiChat!
Nintendo never release anything that purposely brick your wii.

Usually because the language difference in the update, it would semi or completely brick your wii. Semi brick means you can't access your Wii options screen anymore and thus can't reformat your wii. But a new update from a new game (SMG or SSBB) will over write the bricked update and fixes it. Complete brick means you can't use it anymore and since your modded your wii Nintendo probably won't fix it for free. I think it's around $70 but I'm completely sure.

Last edited:
Evi1d33d said:
Nintendo never release anything that purposely brick your wii.

Usually because the language difference in the update, it would semi or completely brick your wii. Semi brick means you can't access your Wii options screen anymore and thus can't reformat your wii. But a new update from a new game (SMG or SSBB) will over write the bricked update and fixes it. Complete brick means you can't use it anymore and since your modded your wii Nintendo probably won't fix it for free. I think it's around $70 but I'm completely sure.

All what you have said is true...Well I don't need to explain since you already did it clear enough. The trick is ..only update with the same region your Wii is. In other words only use Internet Updates and not Games Updates.

I think you need to update FW in the modchip before you update the wii FW
I heard nintendo did make attempts to block the modchip function.
A good modchip, like wiikey, should have full docs to explain how to do updates without ruin the wii

Back