modded wii..

If modding a wii was as easy and free of faults as buying an R4 for your DS everyone would do it.

There are definitely valid points being made about games losing value, but the fact is that yes you are getting free pirated games if you mod it.

It's really up to you and where your values lie, some value money highly, some value the games and their experience. Neither is wrong.

If you are going to do it, just make sure you do your reseach so you know what you are getting into.

Skorp said:
If modding a wii was as easy and free of faults as buying an R4 for your DS everyone would do it.

There are definitely valid points being made about games losing value, but the fact is that yes you are getting free pirated games if you mod it.

It's really up to you and where your values lie, some value money highly, some value the games and their experience. Neither is wrong.

If you are going to do it, just make sure you do your reseach so you know what you are getting into.

thats why im too scared of modding a wii. I mean, i was proud to get my wii and was proud to get my brawl but if i mod it and if it breaks, than BOOM, its all over.

I agree with Idjut.

Being able to get free games illegaly, can just turn into a "I collect and have all these games" You may not play them.

Modding can have its goods and bads.

Modding itself is NOT stealing.

Some people just like the challenge of modifying there hardware.

My modded XBOX served its purposes and I wasn't stealing software, I used it as a MUCH more effective all around multimedia machine.

That being stated, there may be more purposes for a mod in the future, Allthough right now I dont think it serves much purpose outside of wii game backups.

Not to mention there may be a software mod coming in the not too distant future with the TP hack.

Under the DMCA, modchips are illegal in the USA, but INTERNATIONAL free trade laws say they MUST BE LEGAL. Employing regional lockout is illegal under that law, therefore it is legal to mod for that purpose

Go ahead and mod your wii if you don't care about the "ethics and morals" of it. Just do some research before doing it.

Don't if you are going to update your Wii. The updates will kill the modchip and can disable your Wii so it won't owkr anymore. And you don't want to go out and find another Wii again.

Well, I hope I won't get flamed for this, but I considered buying a modded Wii, and yes, it was mainly for the appeal of free games, but I didn't because I was scared I'd mess up a perfectly good Wii.

I do, however, have a R4 for my Nintendo DS. If you don't know what a R4 is, it's sort of a modded game that allows you to stick in a micro SD card with games you can download online.... and I can honestly say, it was one of the best things I've ever bought. And I won't lie, I only actually own 6 of the games I've downloaded, but I'd say 90% of them aren't. If getting games was as easy on the Wii as the Nintendo DS, of course I'd get a modded Wii. I haven't touched half the games I have, but it's nice to know I still got a bunch of games I can play later.

People are lying if they say they don't want free stuff or don't care about it. They just either can't do it, won't do it, or can't admit it.

mr2spec said:
IMO if i ever did mod, chip or no chip, it wouldnt be with my only wii. A lot of games are great, but honestly, how many can you play at one time?

I agree if I happened to have 2 of the same console with one or both out of warrantee I would probably mod 1 for homebrew apps. $50 per game really isn't a lot of money to begin with, and I don't need many because I’d rather beat the ones I own which tend to take some time, so having every game available doesn't appeal to me at all anyway. The only people I don't blame for stealing games are people who live in certain countries where the price for a game is equivalent to $100+ USD and they have to wait forever for games to be released where they are, just waiting isn't a big deal but when you have to wait for a game for 4 months or so more than the rest of the world and then pay double or triple the price then I can't really blame someone for just stealing it since I’d probably do the same.
So are there honest advantages to modding a Wii? Yes (however most people don't mod for those reasons or at least not only for those legal and honest reasons
Is modding risky? Yes but not overly
Is modding a bad idea? Well that really depends on you and what you'll be using it for. Also in case your Wii does somehow get bricked (or in some other way screwed up) do you have the money to buy a new one/will you be content not being able to play anything?

Kyle

Back