Wii Expansion pak??

uk_louis_1986

WiiChat Member
Jun 2, 2006
United Kingdom
Most of you will prob know about the n64 expansion pak, I think it would be great if nintendo could release something like this for the wii, they could add full high def and better textures to the console. I think the wii is great btw and i think this should be an extra not a must have. what do you guys think, can you think of any other adons the wii could have

i would like to see a headset for an addon..im sure most will agree!, however i dont think your idea is possible yet i wish it were true!

where would you connect it? USB? the n64 had a slot open just for this i believe all nintendo consoles at some sort of expansion slot on them except the wii.

Couldn't they just add on the headset option through the updates. They sure need to add one, maybe they are waiting for Brawl to come around before they release that update, hopefully.

JeremyGTS said:
where would you connect it? USB? the n64 had a slot open just for this i believe all nintendo consoles at some sort of expansion slot on them except the wii.

At the bottom of the Wiimote =o or in the Back of the Nintendo Wii

The expansion pak, although cool, goes against why Nintendo made the Wii in the first place. The focus is on gameplay and not graphics, etc. Support for external memory would be ideal, so that devs can add downloadable content. It would make games like Guitar Hero more competitve against the other skus.

I would like a place to put SNES, NES, and N64 games if you already have them and you o not want to buy them off of the VC, hook into a USB port or somtin,

I don't think they liked the wiimote pointer's performance in and HD resolution. What I wonder is if Nintendo might release new hardware in 3.5 years rather than 5 or so.

i want to know why they took up room in the wii for gamecube playback when you can download the games or just keep the GC around 4 when you need it. They could've done more internal memory or better graphics or even just a smaller machine. It also would have gotten rid of the need for those ugly bumps on the wii's right, for when you lay it flat. and the GC's controller socket and memory cards covers would be gone as well.

sounds too good to be real....

but i'm sure that the next nintendo "tv" console "wii2, wii360 , wii64" (whatever) will have same type of controls, more accurate and of course better graphics.......not in the near future for the time being.....too early to talk about it (of course) but what you say would have been great.... (of course) !!! ;)

JeremyGTS said:

Yes they would have to be usb as their is no other way:yesnod:

uk_louis_1986 said:
Yes they would have to be usb as their is no other way:yesnod:

The issue with this is the system architecture - for (relative) high performance graphics the GPU, CPU, DSP's, are tied together via a high speed bus - the ATI GPU has a 128-bit memory interface to the Wii's RAM if I recall correctly.

Details aside - you can't easily hang outboard video accelerators/enhancers off a USB port - the Wii, if Nintendo was expecting to enhance it as that low level, would've been designed with an expansion slot similar to a PC design - note how PC's have specific slots designed for video cards, that have high speed bus'es and direct access to CPU/etc., through high speed memory controllers (i.e., PCI-E and AGP).

Even though there has been some development in the PC marketplace for graphic enhancements done via "non-slot" based ports - you have to generally consider USB for peripherals like Keyboards, Mice and external HD's.

~DT

I dont think USB would be a good way to add anything in terms of an upgrade except for either a hard disk drive, or an exterior disk drive - for NES/SNES etc (though that wont happen as it'll render VC pointless and no money for nintendo). I cant see them plugging RAM or a graphics card in through USB!

Back