Wii-mote Lights

diddie7

WiiChat Member
Jan 11, 2008
I am pretty sure a lot of people have seen those videos on Youtube where the Wii remotes light up in red rather than blue. I was wondering how to do that. See I have 4 different wii remotes with 4 different color skins on each one. I would like to get 4 different colors and install them in each remote. I am very new to any of this electronic stuff so I would need detailed directions. If any one could help me I would be very grateful. Thank you

Mii da Man said:
Wow!! On youtube ive never really noticed that cause usually i focus on the screen.

Silly... he's talking about the folks that solder new LEDs into their remotes. The solder connections are tiny in the remote... if you haven't found the hack in google then you may not have the experience for the advanced soldering techniques... be careful!

I'd refer it as basic soldering techniques, but not really a good idea. Basically another way to waste battery power and void a warranty at the same time :nono: .

If you're new to the electronic thing, I'm guessing your probably really new, I would recommend against it (unless you're okay with losing $40 if you screw up).

You can either solder new lights in place of the old ones or use transparent, coloured tape to change the blue to something else.

1) Open Wiimote and put coloured tape on the inside of the cover, and reassemble.
2) Cut small squares out of the tape, and put them over the squares on the outside.

I haven't actually heard of this (I'm sure someone has done it), or tried it personally, but it should work.

Budo said:
You can either solder new lights in place of the old ones or use transparent, coloured tape to change the blue to something else.

1) Open Wiimote and put coloured tape on the inside of the cover, and reassemble.
2) Cut small squares out of the tape, and put them over the squares on the outside.

I haven't actually heard of this (I'm sure someone has done it), or tried it personally, but it should work.

It depends what kind of LEDs are used in the remote. If the LEDs are blue, it's unlikely that putting red tape over them will actually change the color. If they are white LEDs, this would work, but I highly doubt they are white LEDs as they are way more expensive.

I'm sure the light would turn purple in that case, depending on how red the tape is. And if you want it darker, just put more layers of tape on.

Again, I haven't personally tried doing this.

Pretty much the buy a coloured LED. Open the wii mote, take out the old LED, solder in the new one, close it.

VOIDS WARRANTY!
lol

Back