Wii on a 19'' TFT monitor?

skullfish

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hey all.

I've got in into my head that I'd like to splash out some post xmas largess on a wii, but sadly I don't have a tv to go with one right now. I was planning to get a wii/largish LCD combo towards the end of the summer but after chatting with my partner we've decided we'd quite like to get one sooner.

So, lacking a tv it'd have to be played via one of my computer monitors, so this leads to a few questions:

How playable would a wii be on a 19'' TFT? Its a Samsung 920N, 1280x1024 VGA input btw.

How easy would it be to connect from the Wii's 'multi' port to VGA and retain picture quality. (I've heard some nasty things about this)

I like my multi-monitor desktop just the way it is. Would it be possible to get a splitter so I could switch the secondary monitor from PC to Wii at the flick of a switch?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I checked back through a good few pages of the console forum and didn't find anything.

Ooh, and I'm a student, so while I could afford a Wii, I definitly can't afford a tv until after a summer of back breaking work.

I have the Monitor you have, 19" but mines SONY lol

I dunno if you'd be able to connect it up but it would be quite sweet since I know what Monitor size you are talking about. If you could that would be sweet. Then in Summer you could upgrade to a bigger TV?
But for now thats would look great if you could.
But im sure you have a bigger TV than 19" in your house?

Right, let me clarify...

I live in student digs, woudln't trust my flatmates with the wii in the lounge with the house tv (Which looks about 10 years old) and I haven't pesonally owned a tv since my 15'' portable from 1995.

So no, no screens of any size bigger than two 19'' samsung pc monitors. :yikes:

One 19'' would suffice. I have a philips one, and i know what ur talking about. I would like to know too whether there is a way to connect wii on my 19'' philips without losing on quality. I dont have a tv card :( . So if there is a connector of some sort for VGA/DVI, or splitter-thing I would like to know. Im going to search for such a thing on google right now. Furthermore, if there could be a way to setup the cables in a way that the video signal connects with the vga, and the audio one with my 5.1 setup, well, that would be sooo freaking sweet.

cheers

EDIT:
The official nintendo word:

Computer Monitors

Nintendo home consoles are designed for use through home televisions and VCRs, using standard A/V, S-Video, or RF connectors. Computer monitors typically do not have these connections. There are however two ways a hookup to a computer monitor could be accomplished:

With a PC TV Card:

A TV card inserted into your PC may allow you to connect your system if the card has the proper connections (such as RF, A/V, S-Video, or Coaxial). However, we have found that the image quality is not as clear as it is on a TV, in most cases.

With a Direct Connection (RGB or DVI Cables):

Nintendo does not manufacture any cables to make an RGB or DVI connection. While other companies may manufacture wires that can make this possible, we are not able to recommend them, as they are not licensed by Nintendo.

Last edited:
Ok now got myself some information. Some1 in a forum said that if ur vga has the correct input, and the wires needed, ur console/wii can connect to the monitor without convertors and stuff like that. This is what my club 3D 7600gt comes bundled with:

As you can see the back(pins) end can connect to the relatively same input to my 7600gt. At the other end, the one with the colour inputs, we have:

-Svideo input(I guess not used with the thing im talking about)
-Yellow input(Video)
-Green input(Y ?)
-Blue input(Pb ?)
-Red input(Pr ?)

The Wii has 3 wires connected to the scart convertor, used on the regular crt:
-Yellow(video)
-Red(Audio,R)
-White(Audio,L)

So I guess that by connecting the yellow cable to the yellow input of the front vga accessory cable input, we get the signal. I actually dont know where to connect the audio cabls though, as I can find no input to my speakers/audio card(AC'97). So I bet you do get the picture...

But I do believe it can happen, I am too bored to do it though since I got a TV in the other room. If you confirm your vga card has inputs and cables like that, I bet you could connect it and tell us what u see :)

My video card (XFX GeFoce 7600GT XXX Edition) has an S-Video connector in the back, but I don't know how I would connect audio onto the PC. Anyway that doesn't matter since I have a SDTV with S-Video. If the quality is better on my LCD Monitor, I'd definitely use the Wii on it.

hm... sounds cool, computer, Wii ......whats missing.. oh yea.. nothing :) sounds perfect in my oppinion, just get Aver TV Go or somthing, run it, hit the lil button that says "AV" on it, away you go! =D

Jez said:
Registered just for this.

Came across this in my search: http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/269253/art/hama/adapter-dvi-male-3-cinch.html#

It's a component to dvi converter.

Works with HD tv's.. but does anyone know if it will work with TFT monitors and still keep the sound?

No, there won't be any sound... I don't know how to get the sound working either. I'm pretty sure you can't plug it into the back of your PC. The only way really is if there was an adapter that did sound too and your monitor has speakers attached to it... which I doubt exists.

Esco27 said:
No, there won't be any sound... I don't know how to get the sound working either. I'm pretty sure you can't plug it into the back of your PC. The only way really is if there was an adapter that did sound too and your monitor has speakers attached to it... which I doubt exists.
Though if your tft has speakers built in you can get a £2 dual phono to 3.5 audio convertor that would do it. I'm gonna try this :)

It would be hella complicated. I don't think I'll try it unless I see benefits in doing so... but it is a fact that this monitor is of much better quality than my TV. But my guess is.. with all those adapters/converters going on, you would lose out on a lot of quality.

Well it's only a straight conversion one way. Meh as I say either way for £7 I'll take the chance and feedback when I know how it works :) Should be here in a couple or three days so we'll test then

LastLine said:
Well it's only a straight conversion one way. Meh as I say either way for £7 I'll take the chance and feedback when I know how it works :) Should be here in a couple or three days so we'll test then

Awesome. I'm eager to see the effects of the conversion and its comparison versus the TV. When I get a Wii and an S-Video cable (only thing my TV supports), I'll be able to test the quality of the video through my PC (vid card TV tuner), so I'll be able to judge with my own eyes. Good luck to you.

Back