Wii on a 19'' TFT monitor?

I hope you realise that the native resolution of your monitor will probably be 1280 x 1024 or something similar, and using anything other than that will cause the picture to be horribly blurry and nowhere near as pin-sharp as you'd like.

Televisions offer AA (anti aliasing) by default because of their picture crapness, but TFT's are by design super sharp. So unless your Wii runs at 1280 x 1024 (or whatever your monitor native rez is) then your picture will be crap. And your Wii won't run that high.

To see what I mean, try setting your desktop to 640 x 480 or something and see what it looks like. Then set it back to the proper setting. This will give a bit of an idea of picture quality. The only way to get a pin-sharp image on a tft monitor is to get one that matches the resolution of the Wii, and afaik nothing like that exists.

ps - easy to get audio into a PC, just use the "line in" socket on your soundcard :)

LastLine said:
Meh I'm gonna try anyway ;) Just for kicks.

Kicks.. and the fact I don't want two screens in my room if I can help it.

If it comes down to having to buy a fancy new HD tv.. then so be it, but if I can avoid blowing 400 quid that I don't really have!

ericlewis91 said:
get a real tv come on!

Some of us live in a dorm and we don't have space for a TV, no cable to watch anything, and we're only allowed PCs. This is just a possible scenario. GTFO, troll.

Aye it's like me, I barely have space to get my printer and a 19"tft on my desk so a TV's out of the question (unless I use the shared one in the lounge, but frankly I don't feel safe with it there.)

The other downer for students is that (I might be wrong here but...) they have to buy a full TV licence (in the UK at least) so there's another £100+ on top of the cost of the TV.

I'd buy one of those USB freeview sticks and give my parents' address when they ask at the shop, then use my PC to watch TV on.

I'm using composite inputs on a Dell 2001FP as my in-room screen, but have a regular TV setup in the other room for normal play. Right now the only thing that bugs me in Opera the text is a little blurry and hard to read without zooming in all the way because of the resolution difference.

Defiantly going to see if the s-video input helps me out a little bit when I find the cables in the store.

edit: Actually, I just compared the two for the first time, and really the one on my monitor is not to shabby when put next to the normal TV. It's really a lot better than I thought it would be, thumbs up! VGA should look fine.

Last edited:
Right so here we go to explain this one (as best I can.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DVI_Connector_Types.svg
My monitor has a DVI-D (Possibly Dual Link) connection on it. The adapter appears to be a DVI-I Dual Link.

Anyone know of a way to convert between these two? As a male DVI-I plug won't fit into a DVI-D socket.That or I'd guess it might be possible to transfer the DVI-I Dual Link to a VGA socket?

Opinions anyone?

Aye, well I've got a DVI-I to VGA adapter on it's way now :) So in theory that *could* work. If not I give up for now ;)

Fair play. I hope it works. My 19" lcd monitor would only go as low as 800 x 600 so no joy with that but using component to vga adapter my HD TV works.

Back